Confuse on what Lens to buy ?? Need recommendation

cadefox

Aug 18, 2010
Sengkang
cadefox.multiply.com
Hi i a newbie in photographic, I own a Canon 500D + the 18-55 Kit lens. Now i wanted to upgrade my 18-55 Lens to something better can any one recommend me a lens that is suitable for me. By the way, I usually take portrait and landscape photo. Below are some Lens i have in mind.

[Tamrom]18-200mmf/3.5-6.3
[Canon]EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6
[Sigma]18-200mmf/3.5-6.3 DC OS

Bro,

Wrong Section man. This should be actually in NEWbie.

Actually for portrait u need smaller aperture to get nice smooth creamy bokeh maybe a 50mm f1.8 will be good. For landscape ur 18-55 is already good enough maybe u should couple with a 55-250 so that u can have a better reach. Just my 2 cents.

Bro,

Wrong Section man. This should be actually in NEWbie.

Actually for portrait u need smaller aperture to get nice smooth creamy bokeh maybe a 50mm f1.8 will be good. For landscape ur 18-55 is already good enough maybe u should couple with a 55-250 so that u can have a better reach. Just my 2 cents.

You mean bigger aperture/smaller f-stop number, right ?

:confused:After my evening with the on PTI kana big time at IPT...... Type wrongly.... Hahaha

:) Thks for point it out...

You mean bigger aperture/smaller f-stop number, right ?

I tot Portrait shoot should be using 100mm zoom it will look better ??

Nope. Not necessarily.

I suggest you RENT lenses before buying, considering your very limited knowledge. Try the lenses to understand. If you get an 18-200 for example, you will get extra reach, but still have a small aperture. Also, the 18-200 is a compromise lens; at 18mm it won't be as good as your 18-55, etc.

Having a 50mm f/1.8 would allow you to have a large aperture, thus allowing you to have a shallower DOF.

Hi i a newbie in photographic, I own a Canon 500D + the 18-55 Kit lens. Now i wanted to upgrade my 18-55 Lens to something better can any one recommend me a lens that is suitable for me. By the way, I usually take portrait and landscape photo. Below are some Lens i have in mind.

I would stay away from the superzooms if I were you. Since u now have only the kit lens, why not buy a cheap and good Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and experiment for yourself what image quality a prime lens can deliver. Then move on from there.

Your lens is capable of taking portrait and landscape, and I am sure you have been taking such photos with your kit lens. Looking through the photos you have taken and the focal length you have used will help you determine your next lens.

I won't recommend a telephoto because portrait shots are often best shot between 35mm-50mm( For a cropped body like the 500D).

If you want more subject isolation (nice bokeh) and the ability to take portraits in low lighting, try considering a 2nd hand EF 50mm f/1.8 prime. It was my first lens and I am using it till now because it is incredibly sharp for something tt is slightly above $100.

If you have $600 odd to spare, you can consider the Tamrom 17-50mm f/2.8(constant) , which also happens to be my second lens. The wider aperture, colour and the sharpness is a great upgrade from your current kit lens. This is one of the most renowned lens Tamron has made.

Depends on budget and what you want to setup you lenses for eventually.

I'd not recommend the super zooms. 18-55mm, they are a duplicate to what you already have (and maybe worse off in picture quality). At the longer 55-200mm portion of things they are not fast, and you might as well just get a dedicated 55-200mm telephoto which typically will give better quality w/o duplication of focal lengths to the kit lens.
A 55-200mm would also allow you to do landscape and portraits using longer focal lengths (more subject isolation, tighter FOV, further working distance). You'd not benefit from fast aperture or shallow DOF of course.

A Tamron 28-75/2.8 or Sigma 24-70/2.8 are viable choices as well for a low price. You gain the benefits of faster aperture and short telephoto FL. The bad is that it over laps your kit lens in some FL.

A 50/1.8 or 85/1.8 prime would do very well as portrait lenses. But these are not zooms, so you need to be comfortable (or be willing to adapt) with primes.

Another choice would be a Sigma/Tamron f2.8 90mm/105mm macro lens. Not too expensive, fast, works well for portraits, and gives added opportunity to do close ups and macros. It does not over lap your existing lens as well.

I don't know why you would shortlist Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 as one of the lenses since it's widest aperture is at f/4. How about 17-55mm f2.8 or 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

I don't know why you would shortlist Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 as one of the lenses since it's widest aperture is at f/4. How about 17-55mm f2.8 or 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS?

cos some people think the range is quite comfortable.. but they never do research about the lens yet..

forgivable... i oso got a 17-85 to try on a holiday trip before too... in the end, 3/4 of the time i just had my 50mm 1.8 on the camera.. lol..

hi,
i do like my 17-85mm for travel.better than kit lens .enough wide angle for me to take the huge structure of the old temple in chiangmai using only this for walk around lens.used my 55-250mm with monopod for distance shoots.

do have a buget when i purchase these lens.still fan of canon lens.

Depend on what do you think it's lacking in you lens and picture,you want better quality?the focal length is not enough?the non constant f number?you want macro?you should say why you wanna upgrade.then the CS-er know how to recommend you.i upgrade my kit lens to 15-85 because i want better IQ,common focal length for walkabout usage and the lens is great for me.it performs very well.
I recommend 15-85mm and 17-55mm if you want a walkabout lens,plus a additional 50mm f1.8 for portrait.
Y 17-85 if there is 15-85?the 15-85 is better in many aspect.
Just my opinion.