Confuse abt resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo31

Jul 30, 2005
Hi, i'm a new user of DSLR and am using canon 50D. Took a few pictures and saw most of the pictures that i took the properties for the resolution is just 72. Even i set the image quality to large fine under JPEG format but the resolution is just 72. I did an instant print at one of those photo shop at shopping centre and printed 4R but it seem that the result as compared by viewing in laptop, the quality seem a bit differ. Is there a way to set it to an acceptable resolution and how to do it? Forgive me if i sound a bit ignorant on all these but do hope any kind soul can guide me along. Thank you so much to whoever you are in advance :) Cheers...

72 is probably dpi

definition of dpi here

resolution is talking about the pixel dimensions, for example, 2000 x 4000 pixels dimensions = 8,000,000 pixels = 8 megapixels

capeesh? if you show your photograph, we can tell you better what is wrong with your photograph. keep the exif info as well.

the picture seem not sharp.

In the printout or on your screen? What changes did you make to the picture before sending it for printing?

Is the original pic sharp in the first place, ie in focus no motion blur etc.. Find it abit hard to believe a 15mp cam can't produce a decent 4R print..

In the printout or on your screen? What changes did you make to the picture before sending it for printing?

I mean the printout. While i view in my laptop, the picture seem ok and did not do anything to it. The print out seem blurry on the subject. I'm using aperture mode,canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Though not that blur but i would say it is not sharp. Then i check the properties using Photoshop element 7 (trial version) and found the resolution for all my pictures are 72. Maybe it is standard resolution and it could be a case of my photography after all i guess.

your monitor resolution is 72 dpi, don't bother about what resolution set at, it does not really matter unless you tie it with pixel dimension of your image.

what matter most is what is pixel dimension of your image, your camera largest image size is 4752 x 3168, set at 72dpi or 300dpi will not make any different, the physical pixel dimension is still 4752 x 3168.

Then i check the properties using Photoshop element 7 (trial version) and found the resolution for all my pictures are 72. Maybe it is standard resolution and it could be a case of my photography after all i guess.

It was mentioned earlier but you don't seem to get it.

72 dpi is merely a setting in the JPEG file. It is a numerical value, and some graphics layout program will pick it up and lay out your image as 66 inches by 44 inches. It is not the resolution.

Your resolution is 4752 x 3168 if you shoot at largest size.

There are many reasons why your image is not sharp. Like many has said, post it, with the settings, and we can try to find out why.

Read this article. There is a link to show you how to change the DPI if you really insist on doing it.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

your monitor resolution is 72 dpi, don't bother about what resolution set at, it does not really matter unless you tie it with pixel dimension of your image.

what matter most is what is pixel dimension of your image, your camera largest image size is 4752 x 3168, set at 72dpi or 300dpi will not make any different, the physical pixel dimension is still 4752 x 3168.

Thank you bro. See the point. Thank you all so much. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.