condensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honky

Nov 27, 2006
hi all just wondering....

often when we alight from the bus, our specs fog up (due to condensation). will this happen to DSLRs too? and if it is so, is it a matter to be concerned with? i got many fds whose compact cameras are spoilt when they come back from colder countries, apparently their service centres said there's mositure within their cameras. i intend to bring my DSLR for some winter shootings, so any advices from fellow photographers?

pardon me if my question is abit blondish :embrass:

from my manual, it says to keep the cam in a airtight bag when u transit from cold place to warm place and vice versa for one hour.

Ok just as what I thought initially (i got a portable dry box) but isn't it abit leh chey to do that? Just imagine if its a roadtrip and I have to repeat this whenever I get out and get back in the car..... I think i might as well buy disposable cams.. hahaha.. is there any gadget that can be used?

Thanks for the tip phoredphuck.. appreciate it. btw r u affiliated with the local band with the same name? :cool:

from my manual, it says to keep the cam in a airtight bag when u transit from cold place to warm place and vice versa for one hour.

Ok just as what I thought initially (i got a portable dry box) but isn't it abit leh chey to do that? Just imagine if its a roadtrip and I have to repeat this whenever I get out and get back in the car..... I think i might as well buy disposable cams.. hahaha.. is there any gadget that can be used?

Thanks for the tip phoredphuck.. appreciate it. btw r u affiliated with the local band with the same name? :cool:

i think it applies if u are in a temperate country where the difference in temp is rather substantial. i think the aircon in sg n the climate not that huge a jump.

not affiliated to them. just came up with the nick as it is more PC and realised the suns changed their name too. :bsmilie:

i see.. I assured that singapore is ok but does winter with a temperature of -5 to +5 degrees celcius and temperature of indoor/car heater of temperature +23 to +26 degrees celcius fit the bill? sorry if i'm being too duh-duh.

hmm didn't know the suns changed their name too.. too long out of the scene :sweat:

i've ever read some website which suggested bagging it in a plastic bag and tying it up. dunno if that would work.

i see.. I assured that singapore is ok but does winter with a temperature of -5 to +5 degrees celcius and temperature of indoor/car heater of temperature +23 to +26 degrees celcius fit the bill? sorry if i'm being too duh-duh.

hmm didn't know the suns changed their name too.. too long out of the scene :sweat:

probably what u suggest would be more applicable. i dun like temperate countries so i think i won't get to practise that.

i was nvr in the scene. too bad abt wayne thunder though.

Thanks to all who replied. Guess I'll have to find out more info in the meantime... Wonder how those photographers maintain their cams in their countries... :confused:

More solutions are definitely welcomed! :lovegrin:

Actually, I read some websites, you put it in a ziplock bag when you enter buildings.

The thing is, if you are entering your hotel, it's fine, because you won't be taking photos, so it should stay in the bag for long enough to change temps.

If you are entering a car, dont take it out of the bag and it should be fine.

Of course, this is what I read. Have 2 PNS cameras, and been to practically every country with them, Italy, France, Swiss (including mountain top -> heated building), and the PNS doesnt condense much. Not sure about DSLRS. But my PNS seem fine. ;p

I've been to Japan and Europe in the wintertime, albeit with film SLRs, not DSLRs (concerns should be the same). Carrying it in a camera bag will suffice, as the bag should trap enough air inside it to allow temperatures to equalise. This means as long as you don't whip out your camera as soon as you enter/exit buildings, it should be fine. Just keep your camera bag buckled/zipped up and that should be OK.

thanks for the sharing.. greatly appreciated... more input please... we learn something new everyday don't we? ;)

The issue with tropical countries like Singapore is not so much of the temperature differences in and out doors, but the humidity difference. Using airtight bags is a good suggestion; better still, pack some packets of silica gel in the bag.

My lenses fogged before when i come out from an air conditioned room.
Just leave it to warm up to the surrounding temperature a while and it will dissipate.

But make sure not to change lenses then. Wouldn be too good an idea to fog the body's internal mechanisms.

Ryan

The issue with tropical countries like Singapore is not so much of the temperature differences in and out doors, but the humidity difference.

Changes of humidity don't cause condensation. You do need a temperature difference to reduce the temperature of the air below the dew point. The more humid the air, the smaller the necessary temperature difference.

Thanks for the input LittleWolf and also to those who contributed. Certainly learnt alot.
:thumbsup:

Changes of humidity don't cause condensation. You do need a temperature difference to reduce the temperature of the air below the dew point. The more humid the air, the smaller the necessary temperature difference.

Although not too sure the science behind it, anyway thanks for supplementing. ;)

Whether you use an airtight bag or not is not the concern here actually. It is the temperature of the lens that matters. If the temperature on the surface of the lens is colder than the surrounding, condensation can occur on the lens. So you need to warm the lens up to the surrounding temperature before you take off the lens cap. Otherwise condensation may occur. Do not place the lens where there is direct air con as well. One thing that may worth a try is to get those heat packs from guardian or something. Just before you leave the air con place, use the heat packs to warm the lens up.

hmmm. i was thinking, is the lens/camera assembled in a low or high humidity condition? if its high, will the high humidity air trapped internally condensed too? sorry, i'm not much of an engineer :dunno:

i believe it should be manufactured under a clean room environment with humidy no higher than 45% at 21 - 23deg celsius or lower. So there is little chance for condensation to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.