Condensation on Lens

toxicboy

Nov 28, 2010
Planet Earth
www.flickr.com
Hello friends,
recently I just got back from a trip... it was cold and rainy whilst I was there, and to make matters worse - I was staying in a hotel room with an Aircon control that was broken (and unable to turn down the freezing cold temperatures... ok budget la, no choice).
So what happened was in morning that I happily took my DSLR out to shoot breakfast scenes... to my horror I found that...
THERE WAS CONDENSATION ON THE LENS(ES AND MAYBE EVEN WITHIN THE REAR ELEMENT!!!)
And wiping it away with the micro-fiber cloth didn't help since it just came back again.
So my question:
- any useful tips to 'prevent' condensation happening?
- in the event condensation does happen, how to deal with it?
- is it safe to use those 'anti-fog' sprays for spectacles on the lenses?

Planning to go Europe in winter sometime - need to get educated on the perils of condensation before embarking on the trip.
Thanks!!!

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
So my question:
- any useful tips to 'prevent' condensation happening?
If you're not on the move, you can put your camera in an air tight ziploc bag before moving from a cold place to a warm place, and let the temperature equalize before taking it out.

- in the event condensation does happen, how to deal with it?
Just leave it, the fogging will be gone once the temprature equalizes.

- is it safe to use those 'anti-fog' sprays for spectacles on the lenses?
No! It will damage your lens' coating.

Btw, we have a sticky that you might want to look at, here. Cheers and enjoy your holiday. :)

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
No need to worry one. And yes, leave the lens alone, stay away from whatever spray you may wanna use.

jasonyjw

Aug 25, 2010
toxicboy said:
Thanks for all the kind replies!

(Am expecting Rashkae to post something about noob and use the search anytime soon lol)
agreed. 

Dec 29, 2010
North-East
Ok, I was faced with this situation for sometime where the BBQ is outside (well obviously :D) but the party was inside a very very cold air condition room. So whenever i moved out to the BBQ area, the lens would fog up.

I had to take shots pretty quick and couldn't wait for the temperature to sync so I just used the blower on the lens to speed up the temperature alignment. Beats waiting long times.

Wonder if this hurts the camera/lens in any way?

toxicboy

Nov 28, 2010
Planet Earth
www.flickr.com
Thanks - very useful info too... batteries sound like the most important accessories then!

BTW - anyone knows where to get a rain/snow jacket for my FastPack? (Well it's water-resistant but not waterproof I believe...)
Better to be safe than sorry!

Top Bottom