Concrete Jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapper48

Mar 15, 2008
Joo Chiat Place
Thank you all for your comments on my last post - Awaiting Time.

Also value your C & C on this post too:

Focal length: 18mm
ISO: 200
Shuttle speed: 1/250
Aperture: F11

No touchup on the photo, just resize.

Trying to capture the isolation of the concrete jungle, and the emptiness protrait through the empty carpark. The curvature deplicts the impression of "slanted trees".

ConcreteJungle.jpg

Overall, this picture lacks interest.
Concrete Jungle - not quite. not enough building to have the jungle feel. if you want concrete jungle, turn your angle in to fill the frame will all the buildings, lots of it.

the carpark as part of the compose is distracting. it's not long enough to create a lead in.

you have 1/4 sky, but the colour is not deep enough. perhaps if you take this on another day when the sky is more colourful, this will look better.

Overall, this picture lacks interest.
Concrete Jungle - not quite. not enough building to have the jungle feel. if you want concrete jungle, turn your angle in to fill the frame will all the buildings, lots of it.

the carpark as part of the compose is distracting. it's not long enough to create a lead in.

you have 1/4 sky, but the colour is not deep enough. perhaps if you take this on another day when the sky is more colourful, this will look better.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will take note of it.

But what feeling do you get when you see this picture? Anyone can comment, I would like to know what emotion or thoughts that came out of it, or if any, maybe nothing at all, that's ok, just let me know.

I am still figuring out how to get meaning from pictures taken.

Thank you all for your comments and critique (even if it sounds harsh, it's ok with me, I want to learn more).

:cool: :bsmilie:

before shooting, try to think of what you want to show, or what you feel, then compose and shoot the feeling you have; rather than the opposite. :dunno:

i got a feeling that it's just "another photo of the carpark and the hdb estate"..

watch the little roof thing sticking out on the right.. and the curved blocks din quite work for me.. picture looks slightly overexposed too if i am not wrong (could be my lcd coz it cheats me all the time ha)..

perhaps even waiting for a different time of the day to shoot this might work better.. like evening time let the blocks cast shadows over the carpark (not sure if the orientation is right though).. might get more "feel" than right now..

i dont mean any offence however i feel your picture maybe lacks contrast. the lighting seems a little flat to me i agree with "another photo of the carpark and the hdb estate".. statement made by the ssping.

thus the overall dullness like distracts me from looking beyond the surface. i dont know if that makes any sense to you.

since you are asking about feelings, i could not put it better than these being said before...

"In photographing dwarfs, you don't get majesty and beauty. You get dwarfs." --Susan Sontag

However,

"As a matter of fact, nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love." --Stieglitz

so if you enjoy it, think hard, work hard, you will see what you want better.

since you are asking about feelings, i could not put it better than these being said before...

"In photographing dwarfs, you don't get majesty and beauty. You get dwarfs." --Susan Sontag

However,

"As a matter of fact, nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love." --Stieglitz

so if you enjoy it, think hard, work hard, you will see what you want better.

Interesting quotes!

A few issues to take note of.....

Entire composition is off balance.
Buildings cut off abruptly at the top.
Perspective distortion. The buildings don't really represent slanting trees, just disconcerting to look at.
Distracting object creeping into the frame.

More care should be taken when you compose your pictures. It depicts a concrete jungle, but could be done a whole lot better.

Perspective distortion. The buildings don't really represent slanting trees, just disconcerting to look at.

More care should be taken when you compose your pictures. It depicts a concrete jungle, but could be done a whole lot better.

Thank you all for the comments, notes taken. Next post will try to be better than this. Appreciate very much all your comments.

:sweat: :)

Trying to capture the isolation of the concrete jungle, and the emptiness protrait through the empty carpark. The curvature deplicts the impression of "slanted trees".

as in title of "Concrete Jungle", you need compose a shoot a with building fill up most of the frame, so to have a feeling of the "trees" are overwhelming. not just a few trees.

maybe a very long shot compress all the building together, or a super wide shot shoot upwards. make the frame fill with buildings.

hope this help.

well again the compostion here is not good:nono: mrkit pointed out the mistakes in the composition :) very well........too much foreground space, too little or no space on the top:think:eek:verall a very good effect;)

well again the compostion here is not good:nono: mrkit pointed out the mistakes in the composition :) very well........too much foreground space, too little or no space on the top:think:eek:verall a very good effect;)

as in title of "Concrete Jungle", you need compose a shoot a with building fill up most of the frame, so to have a feeling of the "trees" are overwhelming. not just a few trees.

maybe a very long shot compress all the building together, or a super wide shot shoot upwards. make the frame fill with buildings.

hope this help.

Thank you all again for the comments, I agree with your comments after looking at it again a few more times. I may go back to the same location and have another go at it - at the different time and viewpoints. Will come back and post for your comments again. Thank you all again.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.