concerts and performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

redname

Oct 8, 2009
Hi,
was thinking of getting a 70-300mm lens to shoot the a/m events.

do i need such a power zoom? or maybe until 200mm will do?

any tips too for shooting such events?

thanks

not sure what a/m is but when it's concerts and performances in general you're a lot better off with nothing higher than f/2.8, from personal experience, unless the lighting is damn power (which has happened to me once from experience, i was using my 18-55mm at f/3.5) if you're next to a barricade in front of a stage, 17-55mm for a zoom is good, so is 50mm. mid-range like 24-70mm if you're standing somewhere in the middle of a crowd, long range if you're standing right at the back.. but it all differs with venue. you could try working with flash, but places like esplanade don't allow it, even outdoors (you can try tho, i've heard of people getting away with it)

tips... know what kind of performer you're shooting. watch their movements for a bit, then try at capture them at their highlights. don't always snap away, just keep waiting for the right moment. i have experience with shooting rock bands and if you know the song that they're playing, the part they call the 'breakdown' is always something to watch for. a lot of this comes with experience. check out http://ishootshows.com/2008/07/16/choosing-lenses-for-concert-photography/ , great site if you're shooting concerts. good luck and hope this helps! :)

not sure what a/m is but when it's concerts and performances in general you're a lot better off with nothing higher than f/2.8, from personal experience, unless the lighting is damn power (which has happened to me once from experience, i was using my 18-55mm at f/3.5) if you're next to a barricade in front of a stage, 17-55mm for a zoom is good, so is 50mm. mid-range like 24-70mm if you're standing somewhere in the middle of a crowd, long range if you're standing right at the back.. but it all differs with venue. you could try working with flash, but places like esplanade don't allow it, even outdoors (you can try tho, i've heard of people getting away with it)

tips... know what kind of performer you're shooting. watch their movements for a bit, then try at capture them at their highlights. don't always snap away, just keep waiting for the right moment. i have experience with shooting rock bands and if you know the song that they're playing, the part they call the 'breakdown' is always something to watch for. a lot of this comes with experience. check out http://ishootshows.com/2008/07/16/choosing-lenses-for-concert-photography/ , great site if you're shooting concerts. good luck and hope this helps! :)

yes it does help, at least i know i dnt need those super zooms and try to stay within near to mid distance cause i already have a 18-70mm lens.

for F2.8, it's gng to be tough cause of the cost but i'll try to save for it.

thanks for the link, will look at it soon. a/m is short for above mentioned :)

try to enjoy the performance too :D sometimes when you get too caught up in taking photos you lose perfectly good moments to have fun. unless youre being paid to do it though, then don't slack off xD

also, try looking at the audience. sometimes pictures of people enjoying the concerts or performances can be just as special as those of the performers alone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.