Concert Photo Taking Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

umi63

Got some qns to ask regarding settings to use for concert photo taking...

I'm using IXUS S330.

So do i use spot metering on the singer or juz use evaluative?

How abt ISO setting? use 400 or lower?

Do i use no flash or slow sync?

How abt exposure compensation and white balance?

My S330 can onli allow me to set shutter speed but not aperture so at wat speed to use? If less then 1s than the cam will auto itself liao.

Not advicing you on equipment here.

- Familiarise with the location at which the concert will take place. Recce the place a few days before the concert if possible. If not, at least arrive 30 minutes early to look around. Look for what? look for locations that give you a good anlge of shooting. Plan the paths by which you will be moving around during the concert (without causing too much distraction to the audience). Find the secret passages that will get you on the side stage, back stage, stall and circus seats, etc.

- Familiarise with the program. Ask about special events to cover, such as arrival of VIPs, receptions during interval, presentation of flowers, gifts, etc.

- Take some candid shots of the performers while they prepare for the concert at the back stage (but not in their dressing rooms!).

- Ask if a group photo is required after the concert. You might have to arrange for the stage crew to leave the stage lights on for this. You will have to work fast if it is a big group performing.

- Normally flash is not allowed, so use higher ISO film/setting.

ur advice wld apply if he's the official photographer........
but if he wanna take pics on his own then ur advice seems a bit impossible?? :dunno:

hey umi63, think we need to know what kinda concert this is first before can advise. makes a lot of difference if it's a rock concert, classical music and so on. also, are u just taking "groupie/fan" shots or something?

i've taken robbie williams concert before and i had to resort to press 800 film, pushed one full stop to catch him in action, especially with him jumping around and the rock concert strobe lights... :D

I'm goin there as audience. concert is more of pop. With lots of coloured lights etc

u sitting in front seat???
else the camera zoom might not be enough....and light also not enough............
and think u better bring more batteries in case run out of batteries esp when ur flash is auto in lowlight conditions........

higher iso better, then can set faster shutter speed to catch the action........400 or higher wld be good....but noise also increases...

better to use spot metering.........and off the flash if possible cos the flash is not going to help much...can save the batteries........

first must know ur zoom ...cos in order to freeze action, u need 1/focal length + 1 or 2 stops...... i think....
so if u zoom to 100mm, then speed shld be 1/250 minimum......
but if the subject not moving much, u might get away with just 1/125 i think.......

Originally posted by umi63
I'm goin there as audience. concert is more of pop. With lots of coloured lights etc

ok not to be a wet blanket but you're going to have problems catching any good clear shots unless u're rite up front...

ISO speed set as high as you can (400 in the case of the IXUS). you can try using flash but i seriously doubt it'll help much (unless again u're rite in front).

white balancing is also going to be tricky if it's a pop concert. typically there's multiple colour lights changing all the time so you probably have to use your sense of judgment...

my $0.02 worth of comments... good luck!!! :thumbsup:

couple more qns, do i need to set to long shutter etc 1s or more? tripod needed for photo taking?

So from all the opinions gathered, I need to set ISO to 400, flash not realli helpful so forget abt it. WB depends on myself and use spot metering.

Nobody mentioned abt exposure conpensation, so how to determine it?

Thks in advance.

1s would only be useful if the singer on stage keeps still, so forget about it. the reason why high ISO is recommended is to reduce the shutter speed.

flash not realli helpful so forget abt it.

weak short range built-in camera flash is not helpful. powerful external flash could help.

Got some qns to ask regarding settings to use for concert photo taking...

I'm using IXUS S330.

So do i use spot metering on the singer or juz use evaluative?

How abt ISO setting? use 400 or lower?

Do i use no flash or slow sync?

How abt exposure compensation and white balance?

My S330 can onli allow me to set shutter speed but not aperture so at wat speed to use? If less then 1s than the cam will auto itself liao.

Honestly I suggest u to give up the idea of taking pic and enjoy the show instead.
If you really want to try it, set the ISO to 400, switch off the flash and use a tripod (it's a must). If your subject is close enough, the lighting is good and your subject is not moving around too much, u may get some usable pictures.

I use to have a G1 with 420EX flash. The limited 3X zoom and slow unreliable AF was just not up to the job.

Haha..I made some wrong assumptions about the type of concert and the role of the photographer here before giving my advice. Sorry about that!

ehh...tripod not allowed in concert lah...unless official photographer...so forget abt bringing the tripod........

Originally posted by baiyun
ehh...tripod not allowed in concert lah...unless official photographer...so forget abt bringing the tripod........
along those lines, remember to hide your camera well... they sometimes do bag checks on concert-goers to make sure they don't have any recording equipment, so stuff your camera in your pocket or something. definitely things like tripods and SLRs with flashes will be held until the end of the concert... unless u're a sanctioned official photog with a pass.

actually come to think of it, even photogs with passes don't have it easy. you typically are only allowed 3 songs to snap photos and no flash otherwise the bouncers throw you out hahaha. :D

mumble mumble.....

one thing nobody mentioned... get a silent camera. ie. one that does not sound louder than the musicians when the shutter is pressed. Used my F90X recently in a concert... musicians complained that my camera was too loud, even though i was at the back of the hall. Vid cam at other end of the hall picked up the noise too.

That's how I am justifying my purchase of an F4.....

Originally posted by Minimalis
mumble mumble.....

one thing nobody mentioned... get a silent camera. ie. one that does not sound louder than the musicians when the shutter is pressed. Used my F90X recently in a concert... musicians complained that my camera was too loud, even though i was at the back of the hall. Vid cam at other end of the hall picked up the noise too.

That's how I am justifying my purchase of an F4.....

wow, how loud can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.