CONCERNS RAISED ON SINGAPORE's BIRDERS...Any thoughts on this?

22130358.JPG

Article featured on TODAY'S paper...

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nature-under-stress-photography-boom

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nature-under-stress-photography-boom?singlepage=true

Overcrowding everywhere. But at least hope more eyes mean bad apples get corrected.

It is the same everywhere where birding interest picks up. Taiwan also...

Thing is as birders ourselves we need to set the bar ourselves, and not be afraid to speak out when needed.

That is why we need to police ourselves also...

Please read these thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753289

Last edited:
I think overcrowding is a valid concern although for the most of it, the recommended guidelines are pretty 'commonsensical' and people do practise it already. However in the instances where photographers are massed (even at a safe distance away), the birds may already be fairly used to humans' presence. Otherwise they would already have flown off when they detect even a small number of people in the vicinity.

As in the case for any subject matter, it is usually only a few 害群之马 who spoils it for everyone else by engaging in kiasu actions that also cause birds distress as evidenced by the Tuas incident last year.

I doubt there would be a good measure to limit the number of people at such sites. It would probably have to be appealing to the community to voluntarily move on when there is already a substantial number of people in the area which would be dependent on the space available too.

Bro Turbo had a response that resonate my thoughts as well...

Who put the most stress on birds? I think the development of these lands put the most stress on the birds, a lot more than the birders do. The works in the area where the pintail was last year and half... the soon to come destruction at bidadari.... etc etc...

The press sure has a way with words...

Its the press , obviously they have a way with words. I've been staying in Punggol for the last 3 years, and in the last year alone - one would be shocked at the sheer amount of habitats lost under the reasons of development.

But then most importantly is the heart of the photographers themselves. If they seek out to photograph nature without any thoughts of harming them for selfish reasons, i think we are already halfway there.

that said, i'm surprised there's so many with birding lenses, those aren't cheap stuff.

When we urbanised, we need to share more. As long as we don't mess with their nest and keep that distance, that much we can do. Birds will need to nest next to our home soon from the way we develop.

The organisers of these groups should cap the numbers for these wealthy Tele-Bazooka Owners.... ;p

These are not organized groups... once rare birds show up, word gets around and the birders will come... not some group outing... you will see the biggest crowds on weekends.

With a lot of mass trees area (aka forest) been cut down, those photographers got to gather at one spot in the end. Else no more spots for them liao. Unless can spot a rare bird in HDB???

With a lot of mass trees area (aka forest) been cut down, those photographers got to gather at one spot in the end. Else no more spots for them liao. Unless can spot a rare bird in HDB???

This actual location has seen massive deforestation in the last 1.5 years actually... pretty sad, especially last year, a lot of these birds were scared away. This year they are back.

This actual location has seen massive deforestation in the last 1.5 years actually... pretty sad, especially last year, a lot of these birds were scared away. This year they are back.

Over my side, a lot of trees gone. I think a lot of special birds also gone too. That's why in Singapore, mostly left with new building for photography. :(

These are not organized groups... once rare birds show up, word gets around and the birders will come... not some group outing... you will see the biggest crowds on weekends.

There are more super tele there than at the Olympics almost... lol :p :p

Too many rich photogs here... Like Ferrari here alr. :bsmilie:

Wait someone ask Ferrari to make such super tele lens at super high price, not speed, ha ha!

Rich? I known a few uncles shoot with 1Dx and 600/4. But have no money to buy car. He secures his bag to his bicycle and he cycles to the parks around to shoot.

why photographers got no other hobby other than shooting bird(s).

Shoot people ganna sue. Shoot building ganna stop. Shoot birds cannot complain but now.��

I thought we have problem with singapore brides :bsmilie: