Computertimes DSLR review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clown

Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
Singapore
http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/specials/story/0,5104,1928,00.html?

somehow i find the language of the review quite biased. :confused:

i'm not trying to draw flak from the canon users but the words used for the 10D review sounds so much more enthusiastic than the neutral tone used for the other reviews.

check out the reviewer's comments on each camera:

Pentax *istD
Reviewer's comments: The Pentax *istD works best in bright light and when you have time to compose your shots. <--- oh yea, which camera dont?

Olympus E-1
Reviewer's comments: Good overall. A pity that it did not have a built-in flash as that could have made this camera a contender for top ranking in this round-up. <--- if someone's gonna get a DSLR, he/she's gonna get a speedlight too right? and the absence of a built in flash may mean better internals.. like a prism...

Nikon D100
Image quality: The auto focus is quick and quiet. The camera performed well in all the tests. Focusing capability even in low-light settings is excellent. <--- isnt this lens-dependent? and what tests? i see no tests being mentioned.

and they left out the fuji S2. bleah. :what:

Clown said:

i'm not trying to draw flak from the canon users but the words used for the 10D review sounds so much more enthusiastic than the neutral tone used for the other reviews.

Pentax *istD
Reviewer's comments: The Pentax *istD works best in bright light and when you have time to compose your shots. <--- oh yea, which camera dont?

Olympus E-1
Reviewer's comments: Good overall. A pity that it did not have a built-in flash as that could have made this camera a contender for top ranking in this round-up. <--- if someone's gonna get a DSLR, he/she's gonna get a speedlight too right? and the absence of a built in flash may mean better internals.. like a prism...

Nikon D100
Image quality: The auto focus is quick and quiet. The camera performed well in all the tests. Focusing capability even in low-light settings is excellent. <--- isnt this lens-dependent? and what tests? i see no tests being mentioned.

Unfortunately, this is what you get when you give a non-photographer cameras to review.

Regards
CK

Clown said:

Pentax *istD

Olympus E-1

Nikon D100

Maybe you or someone might want to write in to correct their mistake or rather what they have overlook.

Personally, I viewed computerTimes as more of an advertisement tool.
You pay them to speak good word about your products???
Maybe Yes or maybe not?

I wanted to laugh my head off when I took up a copy to read. Actually my toes are still laughing.

Clown said:
<--- if someone's gonna get a DSLR, he/she's gonna get a speedlight too right? and the absence of a built in flash may mean better internals.. like a prism...

With refer to this point, I was looking for a pop up on the D2H too, nearly made a fool of myself asking why no pop up :bsmilie:

And luckily they didn't 'review' the D2H otherwise they'll say it's a professional camera and thus needs no speedlights. Slapping themselves? :bsmilie:

I re-read the review, very inconsistent. And the reviewer said that the Pentax *ist Digital is the only one that has a dedicated bulb mode. Duh.

Anyway, I lost track of prices, but since when is the EOS 10D more expensive than the D100?

Regards
CK

I don't think I have ever read a single negative review in Computer Times before, photographic or computer-related.

"The Pentax *istD works best in bright light and when you have time to compose your shots"
So does the $26 Disposal fixed focus film cameras that you buy off the shelves in camera shops.
So does your MMS phone camera, with it's f/2.8 lens at 640 x 480, printed at 4R.

"Olympus E-1
Reviewer's comments: Good overall. A pity that it did not have a built-in flash as that could have made this camera a contender for top ranking in this round-up"

Hm...the D2H does not have a built-in flash too, so does that makes it a "poor contender" to the 10D, D100 and 300D?????

"But for the advanced amateur, the camera's programmed mode is a great help until he gets more confidence to move up to manual control."

LoL this one takes the cake. :bsmilie: thumbs up for this marvellous remark on the D100 and not others..

Computer Times's reviews sucks. Sounds like some sales person writing the review... all smoke.

espn said:
"But for the advanced amateur, the camera's programmed mode is a great help until he gets more confidence to move up to manual control."

LoL this one takes the cake. :bsmilie: thumbs up for this marvellous remark on the D100 and not others..
Don't ya know P mode = Professional mode? :bsmilie:

Regards
CK

chongkm said:
Computer Times's reviews sucks. Sounds like some sales person writing the review... all smoke.
Well.. wonder where the fire...

hmm..

Anyway, can someone bring a hardcopy down to SEED today? really wan to take a look .....

300D is BUDGET WINNER...
i wonder which cam took the 2nd spot? :p

http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/specials/story/0,5104,1927,00.html?

Lenses: Mr Lim Seng Tiong, who lectures on photography at the Substation, said: "How many lenses can you really use? What do you need them for?" His recommendation: A good medium lens (14-54mm) will suffice for most everyday shots.

A Oly E1 user?

Storage: Mr Chris Yap, who teaches photography courses at the Objectifs Centre, suggested buying memory cards in smaller sizes like 256MB, instead of large ones like 1GB. He said: "It's an insurance policy. You won't lose all your photos at once, should you lose a memory card." Also get a memory card that matches the writing speed of your camera.

See how many shots he can take with a 256 :bsmilie:

i have the paper in front of me now. Frankly, this article is not worth reading. Why didn't they get one of their photographers to write it instead of a journalist?

espn[i said:
Storage: Mr Chris Yap, who teaches photography courses at the Objectifs Centre, suggested buying memory cards in smaller sizes like 256MB, instead of large ones like 1GB. He said: "It's an insurance policy. You won't lose all your photos at once, should you lose a memory card." Also get a memory card that matches the writing speed of your camera.[/i]

Ya lor, with 256MB I can only takes about 70+ images shooting using 6M resolution. With 1GB card I can shoot up to 300+ images leh.

KNIGHT ONG said:
Ya lor, with 256MB I can only takes about 70+ images shooting using 6M resolution. With 1GB card I can shoot up to 300+ images leh.
Hey, that's almost 2 rolls already. Remember that with film cameras, you need to change film every 36 anyways. :)

Regards
CK

ST1100 said:
i have the paper in front of me now. Frankly, this article is not worth reading. Why didn't they get one of their photographers to write it instead of a journalist?

since CT has close ties with CS (in terms of getting photography enthusiasts/experts to be interviewed), CT might also be amenable to using good freelance writers from CS who can deliver credible and authoritative camera reviews. of cos in the event an advertorial is run, the article will still be subject to approval by the client. (canon,nikon,olympus whatever)

:cool:

espn said:
http://computertimes.asia1.com.sg/specials/story/0,5104,1927,00.html?

Lenses: Mr Lim Seng Tiong, who lectures on photography at the Substation, said: "How many lenses can you really use? What do you need them for?" His recommendation: A good medium lens (14-54mm) will suffice for most everyday shots.

A Oly E1 user?

Storage: Mr Chris Yap, who teaches photography courses at the Objectifs Centre, suggested buying memory cards in smaller sizes like 256MB, instead of large ones like 1GB. He said: "It's an insurance policy. You won't lose all your photos at once, should you lose a memory card." Also get a memory card that matches the writing speed of your camera.

I also use 256mb in Raw mode ;P .... but I have quite a few 256mb cards with me ;). 1 x 256mb card can take about 30 -36 pictures, good to simulate the film changing experience of film camera :). But I sincerely doubt 1 x 14-54mm lens is classified as medium lens though ..... what is a wide angle lens for him then? 7 - 14mm? ;P ... whahahahahhaahhaaha

i wont wanna pull and push my cards into the slot so many times.. later the pins and tension wear out... i think 512mb or 1gb cards should be the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.