Computers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Jan 24, 2002
Singapore
8dennis8.fotki.com
OK I require some push to see which system is a better choice for usage in photo editing and general usage. Looking to replace my old system with one of the following below. Any experience with any of the system is appreciated.

1) System build around Intel 930 Dual Core processor (Presler)
2) System build around AMD X2 4200+ Dual Core processor

Thanks

AMD is a more preferred system among the gamers for its value-for-money over the I brand, when placed in the same line of speed.

Cheers

I am not in to games but would the AMD still be preferred ?.
Maybe AMD preferred for games because it can overclock better compared to Intel.
Also I am not sure if the Intel is a true 64 bit ??.

Lmodel said:
AMD is a more preferred system among the gamers for its value-for-money over the I brand, when placed in the same line of speed.

Cheers

However, compatibility issues (AMD) are also more!

Dennis said:
OK I require some push to see which system is a better choice for usage in photo editing and general usage. Looking to replace my old system with one of the following below. Any experience with any of the system is appreciated.

Thanks

I would also recommend AMD. However the new AMD socket (M2) with DDR2 support (and lots more goodies) are near launch ....

My office uses AMDs for the compute farm ....

Understand that the DDR2 support for AMD is near but with DDR1 also no problem, speed comparable with the Intel using DDR2 due to memory implementation and design.

eawtan said:
I would also recommend AMD. However the new AMD socket (M2) with DDR2 support (and lots more goodies) are near launch ....

My office uses AMDs for the compute farm ....

Also important anybody have experience with either system with Nikon Capture which I believe is the most resource hungry and problematic of the lot of software that I will put in. ??. Will return later. ;)

Dennis said:
Also important anybody have experience with either system with Nikon Capture which I believe is the most resource hungry and problematic of the lot of software that I will put in. ??. Will return later. ;)

I think compatibility is referring to hardware rather than software. You should be running fine with either processor. If you are worried about running low of memory or slow, then just upped it to a 2GB DDR2 and it should be suffice for your usage. A good graphics card helps as well.

Cheers

Dennis said:

Thanks

im using the 930 dual core and im loving it, its damn fast, but must have alot of ram and a gd cooling system, for reference im using 1 GB at 677 MHz, and i love it!!! only got it about a week ago

wildstallion said:
im using the 930 dual core and im loving it, its damn fast, but must have alot of ram and a gd cooling system, for reference im using 1 GB at 677 MHz, and i love it!!! only got it about a week ago

Haha dats probably becoz you are comparing to your old system.

How about trying this combo:

Processor: AMD 4800 Dual Core x 01 - approx $1550
RAM: 1GB DDR2/667 x 04 - approx $800
Graphics: EN7800GT 512MB x 02 approx. $3200

haha this is a devil's machine (at print time) :devil: :devil:

maybe this will give you an idea of the performance comparisons between the AMD and Pentium processors.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/05/the_65_nm_pentium_d_900s_coming_out_party/page12.html

I was also deciding this about a week ago. In the end, I went with a Presler 3.0GHz processor even though the 6400+ is a better performer in most areas (except photoshop :bsmilie: ). Main consideration was still price - an AMD+mobo combi was going for $1238 vs the 930+mobo combi was $769

Care to share your config and make.
I was thinking of a complete system from branded instead of assembling my own because of compatibility problem

wildstallion said:

I am considering a system with 2Gb RAM and and normal graphics card as I don't do gaming. Minimum hard disk (160-250Gb) as well as it will be paired with a 1 Tb NAS.
Any significant things I should be looking out for.

Lmodel said:
I think compatibility is referring to hardware rather than software. You should be running fine with either processor. If you are worried about running low of memory or slow, then just upped it to a 2GB DDR2 and it should be suffice for your usage. A good graphics card helps as well.

Cheers

Dennis said:
Care to share your config and make.
I was thinking of a complete system from branded instead of assembling my own because of compatibility problem

it was a dell, i decide because o fthe price and also 3 yr warrenty with next day maintenence, running the 930 3.0ghz dual core chip with 1 gb 667 mhz ram, a 256 x600 ati graphics soundblaster audigy sound card 13 in 1 media card dvd rw+- and cd rw drives, not sure what motherboard, but its an intel one i think, also a 250GB hdd and 17 inch ultrasharp monitor. Total cost was around 2,300 i think w/gst and delivery

and yes was comparing to my old system, and this whopped the pants off it

I think Intel would be better for photo editing and definately for general usage.

If you really want AMD though, I think at least wait for the AM2 socket which supports DDR2 RAM. No big diff in DDR2 and DDR IMHO, but I don't think I want to purchase DDR RAMs now knowing that they will be completely pharsed out real soon...

DVDude said:
I think Intel would be better for photo editing and definately for general usage.

If you really want AMD though, I think at least wait for the AM2 socket which supports DDR2 RAM. No big diff in DDR2 and DDR IMHO, but I don't think I want to purchase DDR RAMs now knowing that they will be completely pharsed out real soon...

i agree, wait for the new socket if you want AMD

Thanks, that was one system I was looking at.

wildstallion said:
it was a dell, i decide because o fthe price and also 3 yr warrenty with next day maintenence, running the 930 3.0ghz dual core chip with 1 gb 667 mhz ram, a 256 x600 ati graphics soundblaster audigy sound card 13 in 1 media card dvd rw+- and cd rw drives, not sure what motherboard, but its an intel one i think, also a 250GB hdd and 17 inch ultrasharp monitor. Total cost was around 2,300 i think w/gst and delivery

and yes was comparing to my old system, and this whopped the pants off it

Yes I think it is also one of the consideration but the offer was good.
It was a HP system that Iwas looking at with 3 years 4 hr response warrenty.

DVDude said:

Dennis said:

Thanks

Frankly i dunno how intensive ur photo editing is but do place more emphasis on getting at least 2GB ram, a relatively gd graphics card and a large capacity HDD.. u also mentioned somewhere on ur later post abt the NC, yes it definitely will take up quite abit of ur ram.. but if u have min 2 GB ram.. high chances are things shd be able to run smoothly.. As for DDR or DDR2 it doesn't make much of a diff actually..

Nowadays AMD are very user friendly.. it's quiet and cool, not like couple of yrs back.. it's so noisy esp when u've got a big cooler inside ur casing. Personally i find that whether u DIY urself or getting from a vendor, it really doesn't make much of a difference.. U'll get the better parts with the same amt.

On top of that if u're not a hardcore user dan probably ur new pc can last u easily at least 2 to 3 yrs from now.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.