Status
Not open for further replies.

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
hi ..
just upgrade my pc .. DIY for the first time
I assume the hardware should be fine .. cos no explosion yet

but then i think theres some software conflicts ..
need some help here ..

1)dled the msn7 ..
it get disconnected everytime when i logg in for the first time and lots of pop ups starts to appear the next time i logg in.
I disable most setting in the options.

2)my singnet dial up setting - got screw up whenever i restart my system.
what wrong with it? theres no such problem with the previous computer

3)I am using firefox .. but still theres pop up coming from IE.
I got ad-ware and spybot .. don they clear up pop ups ?
if not if there other alternative ?

4)Also got a BenQ Dvd player .. using power dvd as the software but it hangs or reacts like a retard whenever i use it .. ?

why ? Anione can helps
I reformat 3 times already .. :sweat:

tks ..

sounds tedious to troubleshoot. i'm no expert. can't guess whats wrong. am assuming your firewall and AV is working and updated. then u have to troubleshoot each software.install one, use it till its smooth, then install the other..

first steps after format shld be AV than firewall, XP updates (not sure if sequence is impt)

then comes your softwares.

every system is bugger to an extent. my dvdr drive will play a music CD for 15mins then it'll reboot. juz have to deal with it.hehe

best of luck!

simon80 said:
1)dled the msn7 ..
it get disconnected everytime when i logg in for the first time and lots of pop ups starts to appear the next time i logg in.
I disable most setting in the options.

2)my singnet dial up setting - got screw up whenever i restart my system.
what wrong with it? theres no such problem with the previous computer

3)I am using firefox .. but still theres pop up coming from IE.
I got ad-ware and spybot .. don they clear up pop ups ?
if not if there other alternative ?

I suspect malicious wares, Disable your MSN & go download peer guardian from http://methlabs.org/projects/category/peerguardian-windows/

simon80 said:
4)Also got a BenQ Dvd player .. using power dvd as the software but it hangs or reacts like a retard whenever i use it .. ?

This could be a s/w or firmware issue, try to condirm the firmware ver of the player/burner & flash if neccessary. Also u might want to use BS-player, as it supports many popular formats.

It would also be useful for u to list down your computer specs as it could help to pin point the problem

- intel/amd
- motherboard (bios ver)
- ram
- PSU
- gfx
- hdd

cheers
chii

If u installed winXP from scratch, don't connect to internet 1st before u install your antivirus.

I suggest u reformat, & do the whole thing again...

Use linux if u are afraid of all this :bsmilie: or join the dark side and use a mac :bsmilie:

Seems like u added in quite a bit of new hardware to your current setup. A tentative solution is to format the hdd and do a clean install. If you are afraid of connecting to the net after the clean install you should download the network version of the SP2 service pack and slipstream it into the windows installation disk so SP2 will install automatically during setup.

With regard the pop ups, it should be due to spyware. Download adware, spyware blaster and spybot ;). But as stated you have them installed. Are they updated to the latest updates? For the singnet settings, it should be hardware related and you should format.

Conclusion: Format

yes, I bet you gotta format if you can't solve the problems. What you should do is to download whatever you need to install and save it somewhere else (D or E drive if you have more than 1 partitions). Be it Anti-cirus/firewall/adaware/spybot/patches, etc...

Disconnect your PC from the internet, only connect back after you've installed everything you need. After all these done, connect to the internet and update your Adaware/Spybot/Anti-virus ASAP! After these are done, disconnect from the internet again and do whatever scans you need to.

Should be safe to surf the net from then onwards. ;p

AReality said:
Disagree.
Linux is not for the computer illiterate yet.

Use a mac.

yep..

so many flavors of linux, with some using command line, so it's not for the faint hearted.

Your Problems sounds too complicated, coz might have many reasons for those problems you've described.

Best idea is to backup ur stuffs to another hard drive, then format it (true does way), do a clean installation and better stick with XP SP-1 bah.

Such things happens when you upgrade hardware, add this add that, and those software might had corrupt or crash as they might be sharing resources...

AReality said:
Disagree.
Linux is not for the computer illiterate yet.

Use a mac.

actually linux being complicated is a misconception among the masses, mandrake linux is easy install and off you go. We have grown to used to windows and with a bit of change we feel that it's a big hurdle to overcome :bsmilie:. Anyway, I dont want to rant on.... dont want to turn this into a flame war :bsmilie:

i tried on Mandrake. a lot of device not supported. so i installed back my fedoral core 3. i hv both windows/linux. windows for game. linux for work.

simon80, u power.. just DIY PC oledy infected by virus.

Klose said:
actually linux being complicated is a misconception among the masses, mandrake linux is easy install and off you go. We have grown to used to windows and with a bit of change we feel that it's a big hurdle to overcome :bsmilie:. Anyway, I dont want to rant on.... dont want to turn this into a flame war :bsmilie:
Yah. agree it's very easy to install & use. But the problem comes when you can't find the drivers for your hardware, or some files that you want to open/view.

Status
Not open for further replies.