Computer PC specs for Photography (Lightroom, Adobe)

big_lan

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi All,

I am thinking of building my own PC for photo editing (adobe PS and Lightroom).
My proposed specs are below.

Any comments on the specs?

Intel i7
8 GB RAM
250GB SSD drive for OS and programmes
3TB HDD
GTX 1060/6GB Graphics card
Windows 10 Home

Any comments?
Also any recommendations on where i can build a PC at a good price?

Double the RAM, lower the graphics card specs.
While PS can use some GPU functions for faster work, the main work is done by CPU.
Cheapest build is DIY. Alternative, check the shops at level 4 and 5 of Sim Lim Square. Of course, they will add some $ for their work.
Don't forget external storage for backup. A two bays NAS (in RAID 1) can already do a lot, better is a 5 bay type (or more) with RAID 5 or 6.

Double the RAM, lower the graphics card specs.
While PS can use some GPU functions for faster work, the main work is done by CPU.
Cheapest build is DIY. Alternative, check the shops at level 4 and 5 of Sim Lim Square. Of course, they will add some $ for their work.
Don't forget external storage for backup. A two bays NAS (in RAID 1) can already do a lot, better is a 5 bay type (or more) with RAID 5 or 6.

Wow thanks @octarine!

by the way - what specs do you suggest for the graphics card?

16GB RAM will be better.
The rest are ok, though GPU isn't really used that much for photo processing.

I am only running i5 CPU with 16G ram and x2 250G SSD.
The RAM and SSD helps speed things up by a lot, and I'd consider them to be the main components that help run everything smoothly.
No issues processing panos or 120GB K1 pixel shift RAW files.

Most important, a good monitor.

AMD Ryzen + Radeon. More cores more threads and winning in multithread benchmark. 10 bits color depth out of the box. Good if you pair with a good monitor, eg. Eizo.

I am using a HP Pavillon gaming notebook 15.6" HD screen paired to a 23" 4K monitor ... having a 2 screen configuration helps loads for me
i7-7700HQ with turbo to 3.8ghz
16G RAM 1TB HDD 256G SSD
GTX 1050 with B&O speakers + 2 years ON SITE warranty
$1589 which I thought was a pretty sweet deal

More than enough juice for editing and decent gaming

Actually to me its really gonna boil down to one's level of usage. If you don't really edit large batches of raw files (few hundred and above), you don't really need a very powerful setup.

What to me is more key is actually a good monitor and yes, get that min 16GB or ram.

I'm currently using a baseline 21in Mac (2017) ed and I have run pretty much even GFX50s raws on a super deemed to be underpowered Apple macbook 12 before.

Reactions: Montoya Tok
One thing that most people missed for the newest windows based LR versions is that it will only run properly in Windows 10 with directx12.