computer mains switch must off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes landed.
both fried by lightning.:(
cars and house alarms always go off.very frustrating

I used to stay at landed as well. The lightning fried my TV and cordless phones. They cost a lot to repair because they must replace the whole PCB (and everything attached to it).

sigh.that's why when storm comes, i dont do computer work.

i wonder if my studio strobes will be fried if my house get hit...again.

deleted

I have not 1 but 2!
One for my plasma TV/Hi-Fi system, and another for my modem.
Unfortunately, those at my PC only has a generic one.

Mind you, the surge was not big enough to fry anything... but it does not take much to corrupt the bios. Then you will have to spend time fixing it...

instead of these...

i use APC UPS, so its surge protection plus battery, so my hdd also not corrupted if it trips...

hear you?

nope, not even a whisper or whimper... you can try harder blowing at my ears again..

put your ears next to my car exhaust then.
i'll clean the earwax for you as well.:)

I heard a lone wolf howling.

If you can hear that you must be living not far away. :)

in sgp, how far is far my dear?

Your computer draws a very small current even when off, but it costs you something like ten or twenty cents a year. I'd be more worried about a current surge or voltage spike (thunderstorm perhaps).

My computer is on 24/7 so I don't really touch the mains much.

Yeap I guess the main concern should be spikes. What jmmtn4aj mentioed is right. Your power supply does regulate a small amount of electricity to power up the circuits within your power supply. The circuits are for short circuit/over current protection and detecting trigger signals from your mainboard when you depress the power button on your CPU casing. No doubt the power consumed is low but electronics does degrade. So i guess its a good habit to turn the mains off when unsed. :)

The more expensive a piece of equipment is, the better the protection/anti-shorting circuit inside is likely to be. Makers of high end appliances don't particularly want customers sending in hundreds of their products for free (warranty) replacement or servicing after every storm.

Haha, my condo probably has one of the most trippy circuits around. Current still manages to leak in from nearby lightning strikes, so the MCB can trip like 5 times in one storm even while the building itself is never struck by lightning.

Sure or not. Warranty doesn't cover lightning strike leh. Just like some or rather most insurance doesn't cover riots, floods, earthquakes or "Acts of God" whatever that means. :think:

That proves that your MCBs, ELCB are working realtime!!! Chopped, proven and guaranteed.:bsmilie:

if you are using dial-up then be sure to connect a lightning arrestor to prevent modem being damaged. Chances is slim to damage your CPU, play safe is to have your main plug with an arrestor internally.

because my bose sound system, i was told not to off the mains because the heat from the current keeps the woofer dry.
i'm not sure about computers.is there such a need?

my modem was killed twice by lightning.

quick question.

when i shut down my computer, must i turn off the main switch?
any pros and cons for current to run even though the computer is off?
technically speaking there is no need to switch of the main, it doesnt make any difference to yr pc ....
but on a Green note, though the wastage is minimal, multiply by the millions of computers worldwide, it's really a waste of earth resource.

For us in the office, we switch off the main every Friday evening, as well as on long holiday periods. It's all in our habit of playing a small part to be a Green citizen ....:angel:

like others have mentioned, get a surge protector, like say from Belkin which is available in Funan, Sim Lim and many hardware shops... many of them come with phone line protection as well for dial-up and ADSL protection (the Belkin one's at least also come with warranty to cover damage caused by failure of their product in case it fails to protect from surge)... if you don't want to switch off the main switch, just switch off the particular outlet on the multi-outlet powerbar... or just off the power supply switch of the computer if there is one... for low powered lights like 400-600W, can plug about 2 lights to each powerbar but for higher power try to use individual one-outlet ones...

like others have mentioned, get a surge protector, like say from Belkin which is available in Funan, Sim Lim and many hardware shops... many of them come with phone line protection as well for dial-up and ADSL protection (the Belkin one's at least also come with warranty to cover damage caused by failure of their product in case it fails to protect from surge)... if you don't want to switch off the main switch, just switch off the particular outlet on the multi-outlet powerbar... or just off the power supply switch of the computer if there is one... for low powered lights like 400-600W, can plug about 2 lights to each powerbar but for higher power try to use individual one-outlet ones...

Anyone knows if this Belkin gear is reliable and safe to use in that if I have some very important stuff in my computer, is it even safer to have double protection by connecting it in SERIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.