Computer hang while starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmartian

May 2, 2009
Outer Space
Anyone knows what the is problem or can solve it?
My computer hang :hung:when it is starting up, either while in the black sceen just before showing the desk top or after showing the desk top & while in idle. The whole screen just freezed up :mad2: The OS is Vista Home Premium.

I've done a scan & it's not malware or virus. Could it be the motherboard or the HDD?:dunno: Like now, after several starts, I'm able to use it.

TIA ;)

When Windows finished loading, go to your Start Up folder and manually remove the programs that you don't need to load. Also check on the bottom right corner on your taskbar and see if there any more programs load during start up. If problem still persists, its time to do some maintenance on your machine.

How much RAM do you have installed on your machine btw?

Physical issue with RAM?

When Windows finished loading, go to your Start Up folder and manually remove the programs that you don't need to load. Also check on the bottom right corner on your taskbar and see if there any more programs load during start up. If problem still persists, its time to do some maintenance on your machine.
How much RAM do you have installed on your machine btw?
The start up folder is empty. Taskbar is the same before this problem surfaced. Machine has got 2gb ram. Could it be the HDD is failing? :think:

Physical issue with RAM?
:dunno: Got 2gb ram

Thanks guys for responding:) Its really frustrating staring the comp. Either it hangs in the beginning or hang half way :confused:

The start up folder is empty. Taskbar is the same before this problem surfaced. Machine has got 2gb ram. Could it be the HDD is failing? :think:
I am just guessing it could be poor drivers installed on your machine that could be slowing it down. Sometimes, missing/corrupted registry can bog the system down. However, if the HDD is failing, it probably wont even boot up at all.

Other options you can try is:
1. Go to your HDD Properties and do a Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter
2. Back up, format and do a clean reinstall of your OS.
3. Replace your RAM with a brand new one.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sounds like either a virus or a dead MB. Who knows, try entering bios and revert back to default and save it. Boot

I am just guessing it could be poor drivers installed on your machine that could be slowing it down. Sometimes, missing/corrupted registry can bog the system down. However, if the HDD is failing, it probably wont even boot up at all.

Other options you can try is:
1. Go to your HDD Properties and do a Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter
2. Back up, format and do a clean reinstall of your OS.
3. Replace your RAM with a brand new one.

Hope that helps.
Thank you hamzee. Actually I thot of re-formatting the HDD & re-install the OS. Maybe I'll try that. The other thing is maybe the RAM is affected due to oxidation. Think I'll give the RAM a scrub. Thanks again dude ;)

Thank you hamzee. Actually I thot of re-formatting the HDD & re-install the OS. Maybe I'll try that. The other thing is maybe the RAM is affected due to oxidation. Think I'll give the RAM a scrub. Thanks again dude ;)

Try a Windows installer disc and see if the system boots to the disc. If it doesn't, it could be either RAM or board. If you hear the disc spinning but still nothing on the screen, possibly graphics card issue.

Sounds like either a virus or a dead MB. Who knows, try entering bios and revert back to default and save it. Boot
Thank you dennis. Checked no virus, no malware. I'm using the comp now, so cannot be dead MB. Is entering bios & revert to default as good as re-formatting & re-installing the OS?

Try a Windows installer disc and see if the system boots to the disc. If it doesn't, it could be either RAM or board. If you hear the disc spinning but still nothing on the screen, possibly graphics card issue.
Thank you novjoe. The comp can start after several attempts. I'm using it now. So there are a few possibilities. Will try scrubbing the RAM 1st.

Thank you novjoe. The comp can start after several attempts. I'm using it now. So there are a few possibilities. Will try scrubbing the RAM 1st.

I see. If you suspect RAM, you can diagnosed with Memtest86+ and test each RAM individually for at least 24 hours for errors.

I see. If you suspect RAM, you can diagnosed with Memtest86+ and test each RAM individually for at least 24 hours for errors.
Errrr...............take spider photos I can, but check, diagnose & test ram..................you better shoot me.............haha ;p :bsmilie:

Errrr...............take spider photos I can, but check, diagnose & test ram..................you better shoot me.............haha ;p :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

In this case, you should monitor for a few days and see how the system works bah.

Had this problem a few months back, it was some hardware problem with the RAM.. So I'm guessing your case might be similar?

Had this problem a few months back, it was some hardware problem with the RAM.. So I'm guessing your case might be similar?
Thank you j-chan. I hope it is. Once its started, sometimes it can go on for a long time & sometimes after awhile it hangs. So i'm going to tackle the RAM 1st & monitor the situation.

Thank you guys for your inputs :) I did a system recovery today, back to the default settings. Now its like new. Hope it stays this way. Thanks again ;)

Man! It :hung: again. Gave me hope for only a few hours :cry:. Called the vendor, they say must leave there for 5 days :flush:

Man! It :hung: again. Gave me hope for only a few hours :cry:. Called the vendor, they say must leave there for 5 days :flush:

No choice lor. At least they can troubleshoot for you during that period of time.

No choice lor. At least they can troubleshoot for you during that period of time.
5 days? Then in the end, they can't solve :dunno:, so they'll say, must change this & that & the cost is close to buying a new one :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.