Composition course?

Is there any course to teach how to composite? I know the rule of third and pattern. But how to position yourself?

It's simple, you don't need anyone to teach you.

Just take your camera, look through the lens and move. And think. And try to visualize how it looks without moving.

If you do this consciously, soon it will become a subconscious habit and you will assimilate it, and do it automatically. Hope this helps. Cheers.

there is no course for that, if you insist, you will have to study fine art,

you can find couples of books in our National Library on photography composition.

Is there any course to teach how to composite? I know the rule of third and pattern. But how to position yourself?

That is where photographers get separated from "people with cameras". When shooting the same subject, and one person has the creativity to look for other angles.

Creativity cannot be taught. Stop looking for magic formulas. Stop trying to imitate, and try to innovate.

Some good courses for photography (not those quick start courses for camera handling) will also include this topic. But as mentioned by others: it's not like a recipe for cookies that you just copy and get the same results. Grab the basic idea and apply to the situation you are in.

edutilos- said:
It's simple, you don't need anyone to teach you.

Just take your camera, look through the lens and move. And think. And try to visualize how it looks without moving.

If you do this consciously, soon it will become a subconscious habit and you will assimilate it, and do it automatically. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Bro. What u mean by not moving?

Bro. What u mean by not moving?

means you dont have to visually see it to get an idea of what you want your shot looks like. if you can pre-visualise your shot in your head then you'll probably know which angle and composition you're looking for already.

Valkarian said:
means you dont have to visually see it to get an idea of what you want your shot looks like. if you can pre-visualise your shot in your head then you'll probably know which angle and composition you're looking for already.

For event is there any angle I should take to make it look nicer than normal? Apart from tunning down to the height of the group n shooting them.

Composition is like quite hard as I am weak in arts...

rvf79 said:
For event is there any angle I should take to make it look nicer than normal? Apart from tunning down to the height of the group n shooting them.

Composition is like quite hard as I am weak in arts...

no hard fast rules. but a tip for u. not all tilt photos = artistic. i have see ppl shooting tilted photos all the time in one series and most of it wasn't necessary.

rvf79 said:

There is no course on this. It's all PRACTICE and PRACTICE.

For a start, go read some good photography books on compositions. Read up on things like vectors, lines, triangles, circles, frame within frame.

N Once u understand this, u will see the compositions.

At the end of day, photography is an art, not a science. Books won't teach u much. U got to have some talent first. No talent, means no talent. Cannot be taught.

donut88 said:
There is no course on this. It's all PRACTICE and PRACTICE.

For a start, go read some good photography books on compositions. Read up on things like vectors, lines, triangles, circles, frame within frame.

N Once u understand this, u will see the compositions.

At the end of day, photography is an art, not a science. Books won't teach u much. U got to have some talent first. No talent, means no talent. Cannot be taught.

T.T dat y I am engineer. Sob. No talent on arts. :X

T.T dat y I am engineer. Sob. No talent on arts. :X

Haha, I was just about to ask if you were an engineer :)

But I'll say this -- don't make excuses like having no talent. If you have eyes, the ability to judge between a good and bad photos, and the desire to create good (or great) images, you have the starting ingredients. What you make of it is up to you.

BTW I'm pretty sure there are more than a few engineer types who are photographers in CS, some of whom have switched careers from engineering to arts

rvf79 said:

Hi bro

Michael freeman"s The photographer eye..

Edwin Francis said:
Haha, I was just about to ask if you were an engineer :)

But I'll say this -- don't make excuses like having no talent. If you have eyes, the ability to judge between a good and bad photos, and the desire to create good (or great) images, you have the starting ingredients. What you make of it is up to you.

BTW I'm pretty sure there are more than a few engineer types who are photographers in CS, some of whom have switched careers from engineering to arts

Thanks bro

Cliché advice I'm going to give...shoot a lot and get people to critique a lot.

On a deeper level, there are many different fields of photography. What works in still life photography may not work in portraits or landscapes or events coverage or sports...you get my point. Find out what kind of photography appeals to you and then read up. For a start, you may want to run through the CS gallery and see why certain photos work for you and why others don't.

I assume you have pretty much mastered your camera, if not, please go and play with your camera more, because just as a painter needs to be familiar with his brushes, canvas and paints before he can paint his vision, the same way a photographer needs to know the camera's capabilities and limits to fully realize the vision in your mind's eye. :)

Cliché advice I'm going to give...shoot a lot and get people to critique a lot.

On a deeper level, there are many different fields of photography. What works in still life photography may not work in portraits or landscapes or events coverage or sports...you get my point. Find out what kind of photography appeals to you and then read up. For a start, you may want to run through the CS gallery and see why certain photos work for you and why others don't.

I assume you have pretty much mastered your camera, if not, please go and play with your camera more, because just as a painter needs to be familiar with his brushes, canvas and paints before he can paint his vision, the same way a photographer needs to know the camera's capabilities and limits to fully realize the vision in your mind's eye. :)

so in short, look through the gallery and see which 1 suit my style then learn from the picture?