complicated video-graphy question

mrksin

Nov 22, 2010
i'm intending to get a good camcorder/camera/professional video camera.

however i have a low budget and little experience.:confused:

my main purpose is to shoot quality video, for documenting, just like national geographic.

everytime i go around ask the salesman they have no idea what i'm requesting, they'd probably twist and turn and try to promote their product. (actually i prefer second hand) :confused::confused:

some qualities might include, motion stability, megapixels... wide angle?

also, as a side question, for a common digital camera, will it maintain its quality if i were to take a video with it?

e.g. if i were to take a 1000fps video with http://exilim.casio.com/products_exfs10.shtml

also, i'm looking for a good video taking tool below 500 ;)

I hope you do know that good and professional is never cheap.

And I hope you also know that with little experience, you will not be able to shoot like footage in nat geo.

1000fps? you sure? :bigeyes::eek: And Casio exilim exfs10 is not a professional video cam. It is also not a professional camera. Hell, I think it is not even that good a consumer camera.

And by the way, if you want to shoot professional level video, these are the type of cameras you need (and you need the skills also):

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/

No two ways around it.

Last edited:
to attain net geo standard, what u need is years of years of skills, know ya approach to the shots, know wheres ya editing points....

abt the equipment, try to find the old very old mini DV camcorders, might be able to squeeze into ya budget....

there are wide angles lenses, and they are wide angle converters(some may allow for zoom trou while others are like fixed fisheyes) and they cost even more than ya stipulated budget...

like what DD123 said, anything that is professional is never cheap....

do more research...

to attain net geo standard, what u need is years of years of skills, know ya approach to the shots, know wheres ya editing points....

abt the equipment, try to find the old very old mini DV camcorders, might be able to squeeze into ya budget....

there are wide angles lenses, and they are wide angle converters(some may allow for zoom trou while others are like fixed fisheyes) and they cost even more than ya stipulated budget...

like what DD123 said, anything that is professional is never cheap....

do more research...

bro.. iphone... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

and if go DV... TS will exceed the budget already... just on the DV tapes alone... :bsmilie: Esp if he intends to shoot like nat geo... meaning tons of backup tapes in the backpack while trekking...

Last edited:
ohhh mann... then how am i gonna produce a presentable standard with such a budget... =/

i guess its gonna take alot more money than experience.. sigh.

in any case, where should i start?

dont usally like camcorders cause they give a very pixelated quality, and i just cant hold it still.

ohhh mann... then how am i gonna produce a presentable standard with such a budget... =/

i guess its gonna take alot more money than experience.. sigh.

in any case, where should i start?

dont usally like camcorders cause they give a very pixelated quality, and i just cant hold it still.

yesh it takes a lot of money to invest in good video equipment....

well first thing u do is to get a higher budget, secondly, even with the stabilizer on, the shot will still move, than u can blame it on ya lack of technique, so with all the money but no technique or skills it is still a losing battle,

tell u something, some of our local shows airing on our tv are still shot in Mini DVs......

Last edited:
i'm intending to get a good camcorder/camera/professional video camera.

however i have a low budget and little experience.:confused:

my main purpose is to shoot quality video, for documenting, just like national geographic.

everytime i go around ask the salesman they have no idea what i'm requesting, they'd probably twist and turn and try to promote their product. (actually i prefer second hand)

some qualities might include, motion stability, megapixels... wide angle?

also, as a side question, for a common digital camera, will it maintain its quality if i were to take a video with it?

e.g. if i were to take a 1000fps video with http://exilim.casio.com/products_exfs10.shtml

also, i'm looking for a good video taking tool below 500 ;)

Nat Geo's standard accepted camera for broadcast is at least a $30,000 camera with minimal video compression.
They can accept lower standards only if there's justification to use it, and even the minimum requirement is at about 25% of HDV grade footage. A HDV grade camera is at least in the $4-5k range

A HD camera capable of taking 1000fps rate for super slow-motion is near or over $100,000.

That's just some pricing consideration for you to judge what you'll be getting for your intended budget. :)

You should be able to get a decent used 3CCD AVCHD for about $500-800 if you look hard enough in the used market.
:thumbsup:

Nat Geo's standard accepted camera for broadcast is at least a $30,000 camera with minimal video compression.
They can accept lower standards only if there's justification to use it, and even the minimum requirement is at about 25% of HDV grade footage. A HDV grade camera is at least in the $4-5k range

A HD camera capable of taking 1000fps rate for super slow-motion is near or over $100,000.

That's just some pricing consideration for you to judge what you'll be getting for your intended budget. :)

You should be able to get a decent used 3CCD AVCHD for about $500-800 if you look hard enough in the used market.
:thumbsup:

love how u actually draw out the figure for him,

its either that go hunt for a sony PD150 or 170 shld be able to squeeze into that amount.

than what abt tripod, sound gear, maybe lights...???

love how u actually draw out the figure for him,

its either that go hunt for a sony PD150 or 170 shld be able to squeeze into that amount.

than what abt tripod, sound gear, maybe lights...???

Nat Geo don't accept SD delivery anymore....At least not that I know of in the last year or so... :D
And even so, DV footage aren't really quite acceptable for use in NatGeo programs too, but restriction/exception rules does apply.

Last edited:
Nat Geo don't accept SD delivery anymore....At least not that I know of in the last year or so... :D

think u are right there, but i dont think TS wanna send something in for Nat Geo, if not he wont be asking these question...

yup the smallest so camera they accept is the PANA 502... hahahaha....

think u are right there, but i dont think TS wanna send something in for Nat Geo, if not he wont be asking these question...

yup the smallest so camera they accept is the PANA 502... hahahaha....

haha i was considering sending in something to nat geo, but after clarifying noobish doubts, i'm quite sure... i have a long way to go.

but in any case, i'm just hoping to be a paid to travel employee documenting stuff for nat geo.

feels like an intersting job.

btw, should i get tripods and stuff like that along with it if i want to get better at it. haha. dont wanna go travelling half way then realise i can't shoot anything without a tripod.

haha i was considering sending in something to nat geo, but after clarifying noobish doubts, i'm quite sure... i have a long way to go.

but in any case, i'm just hoping to be a paid to travel employee documenting stuff for nat geo.

feels like an intersting job.

btw, should i get tripods and stuff like that along with it if i want to get better at it. haha. dont wanna go travelling half way then realise i can't shoot anything without a tripod.

all the best and good luck to what u wanna achieve..

and yesh tripod is essential.. and important... but what type of tripod u wanna get is a whole another investment.....:)

haha!!

oh man, i'm so unprepared for this. guess it takes some learning.

anyway, as another noob question, why tripod so expensive?

arent they just aluminum poles? or maybe i can even construct my own tripod. (tell me if i'm crazy)
:sweat:

haha!!

oh man, i'm so unprepared for this. guess it takes some learning.

anyway, as another noob question, why tripod so expensive?

arent they just aluminum poles? or maybe i can even construct my own tripod. (tell me if i'm crazy)
:sweat:

dude i think u just can forget abt it lah... no point chasing something u cant even comprehend abt...

seriously, go help ya yourself by googling what u need to ask and im sure, with today vast internet capability answers will pop up....

true. true. i'm already having doubts about it. haha.

in any case, i'm not giving up just yet (i'm only 19!!), gonna follow DXN's advice and get a 3CCD AVCHD with a very standard tripod (hopefully comes in a package).

my natural instincts tells me theres no point trying to save money when i'm attepmting to reach that standard eventually.

thanks for all your advice people! have a nice day!

You do know that Nat Geo videographers can spend years out inthe field, coming back to the same spot in Africa for 12 years in a row before wrapping up their documentary, right? And that only the very best are selected for these assignments, not some fresh out-of-school, zero-skillset college grad?

I think you need to have a reality check.

yes thats true, i'm trying all methods to get in the field. hopefully, not taking 12 years.

Nat Geo has refused DV/ Mini DV since at least 6 years ago.
Digi-Beta is the way to go.

You can watch this Trailer for the Doco which I'm presently working on.

So far, no one has been able to pin-point which Camera, the Brand nor the type of lenses used.
(except for the obvious infra-red, hidden cam, and surveillance footage)

Trailer is here:
www.therighttolivefoundation.com

Hope this inspires you mrksin..