Complexity

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
5483954938_2807727362_z.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition, exposure, and any feedback regarding the black and white processing.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
A relatively complex structure of the road at the CTE entrance near Jln Kukoh, something which is not so common in other parts of Singapore.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was shot at about 7:10am.

Settings: EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens at 18mm, f/16, 20s with either a GND or ND8 filter (cannot recall as I took this shot about half a month ago).

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?
I wished I had a wider lens when I was on the overhead bridge composing this shot. :bsmilie:

I like this one. The picture is slanted to the left. Try cropping away the top (trees/building) and show only roads.

It's a cool shot, but I think that the composition was not very good. There are leading lines in the photo (the roads) that just lead to an uninteresting HDB block in the background.

with complexity, it's an organized mess. this isn't complex; it's more of confusing bro... like what brapodam said. your lines are all over the place.

I like this one. The picture is slanted to the left. Try cropping away the top (trees/building) and show only roads.

I agree, because I tried to crop away those trees, but then i end up without the road structures which i was trying to show. hahah. thanks for your input.

It's a cool shot, but I think that the composition was not very good. There are leading lines in the photo (the roads) that just lead to an uninteresting HDB block in the background.

with complexity, it's an organized mess. this isn't complex; it's more of confusing bro... like what brapodam said. your lines are all over the place.

Thank you for the critique. Yes, I do realise that the lines lead to something less than interesting. I was trying to capture the complexity of the structure of the roads, something which is not that common in Singapore. Any suggestion how I may better compose this shot?

honestly never been there before. but i'm guessing... it's the bridge near SGH/Chinatown overlooking the CTE?

I'm not sure how to compose the shot, but it is generally not good to have leading lines that lead into something uninteresting...

honestly never been there before. but i'm guessing... it's the bridge near SGH/Chinatown overlooking the CTE?

Yeaps you're right.

I'm not sure how to compose the shot, but it is generally not good to have leading lines that lead into something uninteresting...

I see. Still trying to figure out how to compose the shot to show the complexity of the roads, i guess i neglected the fact that the lines led to something boring. Thanks anyway man.

use a fish-eye lens, not shooting straight on, but at a 45 degree angle from the left or right. use color. this shot was taken at night so i suppose the light trails would add to the craziness overall

use a fish-eye lens, not shooting straight on, but at a 45 degree angle from the left or right. use color. this shot was taken at night so i suppose the light trails would add to the craziness overall

Thanks. Wait till I can afford to BBB a fisheye. Hahah. This was taken in the morning at sunrise, but that day the sky wasn't fantastic so i just did a bnw conversion.

Thanks. Wait till I can afford to BBB a fisheye. Hahah. This was taken in the morning at sunrise, but that day the sky wasn't fantastic so i just did a bnw conversion.

LOL B&W doesn't save every shot. a mug of A&W rootbeer does though :bsmilie:

I can't tell whether it is going into dawn or night with grey sky and street lights.
Good DOF with brightness in foreground leading towards grey tone. No texture on the foliage. Not the right moment.

I can't tell whether it is going into dawn or night with grey sky and street lights.
Good DOF with brightness in foreground leading towards grey tone. No texture on the foliage. Not the right moment.

Thank you for your critique. Yea, the foliage became a black mess. I think i overdid the contrast. oops.

honestly i have no idea what you mean by your 2nd sentence. no texture on the foliage? i think you mean loss of details.

what do you mean by "not the right moment"?

please be clear because what you're saying really isn't clear at all. how constructive is your criticism in this sense?

This is a black and white photo, naturally the skies would be grey. In any way, this photo is not about the skies, the TS wanted to show the complexity of Singapore's road system. The skies do not matter as much as the roads. I also don't know what you mean by leading towards grey tone. As for loss of details in the foliage, I think it's acceptable as the picture is not about the beautiful landscape/cityscape of Singapore, but rather about the road system.

This is a black and white photo, naturally the skies would be grey. In any way, this photo is not about the skies, the TS wanted to show the complexity of Singapore's road system. The skies do not matter as much as the roads. I also don't know what you mean by leading towards grey tone. As for loss of details in the foliage, I think it's acceptable as the picture is not about the beautiful landscape/cityscape of Singapore, but rather about the road system.

Oh. hahah. i still thought the foliage became a black mess, was initially still wondering if most of you would have an issue with that.