Compiling the most common comparisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
Very often one would ask to compare some equipments, only to get comments like "it is discussed to death" which is also true.

I'm thinking of having a thread of user contribution of common comparisons, with or without links to reviews. once a newbie sees that such a comparison is listed here, he can consider doing some research into what to compare with and read reviews on it. towards the end, he may no longer need to post or he may find that he can tailor specific questions to ask for opinions based on some grounds he projected on his needs, and not open ended questions.

when i said user contributions, it means forumers have to contribute for this thread to progress, if not i will just let it sink off becos it is not viable if forumers does not want to contribute.

i'll start off with the first, something i read when considering a purchase myself - that is why newbies can contribute after they have done their basic research of interest.

Nikon intermediate v.s. semi-professional
D80 v.s. D200 (KRW)

The problem is, people are asking the same thing over and over again because they don't read the threads started before them. So how do you make them read yours?

The problem is, people are asking the same thing over and over again because they don't read the threads started before them. So how do you make them read yours?

when enough volume of information are put together in a list. that is why i say it may just die off from my experience. but when things are up going, it will move.

Have you noticed some people start new threads asking the same thing which was asked before in an earlier one just 5 or 6 threads down the page?

it can help those who can self help. i find that ken rockwell has good comparison reviews for some models, and with it, there becomes little need to ask for help. so i thought i can share that.

sometimes people ask also becos often the google search engine provides too much irrelevant or undigested information or that good information is still lacking in existent threads.

anyway, it is worth a try.

Hi zoosh, I applaud your intention. I myself trawl through the Internet for months when I was looking for a dSLR, and speaking as a newbie in dSLR, I do have a lot to learn in this forum.

The problem is I found out this forum a little late. So here is a man craving for a certain kind of food, but right before him is an ocean spread of feast. Where do he starts?

If I were to trawl through all the threads, I'd ended up as a reader than a photographer. And it seems that the search engine is not precise enough to narrow down a particular search. We can google or wiki for what we want, but there's a sense of disconnection to it. What we are looking for are the senior bros/sis out there, who have been there, done that, tread the grounds before, to give us sound advice. I can't help if anyone out there calls this the easy way out. But we can effectively shorten our learning curves by learning from others, aren't we?

Thus I would welcome the idea of a thread for common comparisons, with links and local users' feedback/reviews.

:thumbsup:

I would like to do that, but I must say Kit is right... some new comer don't even look at the sticky before asking question like the price of the lens... etc. :confused:
maybe CS should automatically send a message to any newly registered member about all the sticky :devil:

I would like to do that, but I must say Kit is right... some new comer don't even look at the sticky before asking question like the price of the lens... etc. :confused:
maybe CS should automatically send a message to any newly registered member about all the sticky :devil:
Or read zoosh's Newbie thread, etc.

Or bother to trawl through not even one week old threads asking the same thing.

Exasperating, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.