Competitive advantage(s) or “nice to have”

With the competitive landscape in photography services, photographers are finding it hard to differentiate their services, prices, etc.
1) Are you responsible to archive (keep) the images?
2) How long (time)?
3) Would you provide a “space” online for “Archiving and Retrieval” of the images captured for a year or 2?

We’re talking about Industrial-grade storage system, where you and your client’s images will have secure redundant backup in case disaster strikes.

This is a strategic positioning discussion.:think:

Vested interests: We have invested significant time, energy and money to develop a platform to enable our customers to easily archive their images and enabling “digital flip-book” capabilities, the entire service without any manual intervention.

With the competitive landscape in photography services, photographers are finding it hard to differentiate their services, prices, etc.
1) Are you responsible to archive (keep) the images?
2) How long (time)?
3) Would you provide a “space” online for “Archiving and Retrieval” of the images captured for a year or 2?

We’re talking about Industrial-grade storage system, where you and your client’s images will have secure redundant backup in case disaster strikes.

This is a strategic positioning discussion.:think:

Vested interests: We have invested significant time, energy and money to develop a platform to enable our customers to easily archive their images and enabling “digital flip-book” capabilities, the entire service without any manual intervention.

For my type of work, I have factor in 90 days archival for all the images i shot for them and it has been charged for a fee and my client know about it. I will of course keep them for 1 year in 2 off site redundant back up (not online) and it will cost the client if they want to retrieve the files for order again.

Online backup is probably not needed for me at this stage unless my client opt to keep them and willing to pay for it.

Regards,

Hart

For my type of work, I have factor in 90 days archival for all the images i shot for them and it has been charged for a fee and my client know about it. I will of course keep them for 1 year in 2 off site redundant back up (not online) and it will cost the client if they want to retrieve the files for order again.

Online backup is probably not needed for me at this stage unless my client opt to keep them and willing to pay for it.

Regards,

Hart

Yes, most clients have no clue in archiving. Is there a market norm or standard practice as to your responsibility as the photographer to archive the images and for how long. And in doing so, a competitive advantage?

Would you as the photographer pay for the initial set up, say $200 (outsource) for 10 clients' accounts. And have your clients manage and pay for the subsequent years. Would you offer a solution and have your responsibility reduced or as a competitive service offering?
The hosting solution should be a “White label” where your customers will not find out about the hosting company. Do you or anyone out there knew of any solution provider out there?

Yes, most clients have no clue in archiving. Is there a market norm or standard practice as to your responsibility as the photographer to archive the images and for how long. And in doing so, a competitive advantage?

Would you as the photographer pay for the initial set up, say $200 (outsource) for 10 clients' accounts. And have your clients manage and pay for the subsequent years. Would you offer a solution and have your responsibility reduced or as a competitive service offering?
The hosting solution should be a “White label” where your customers will not find out about the hosting company. Do you or anyone out there knew of any solution provider out there?

I don't think that will give competitive edge to photographer.

It simply a liability that a photographer may want to limit. It is better to tell the client if you archive or don't so there is no misunderstanding and sticky situation with clients in the future.

For example, The price I charge allow my client 90 days archival, so if I happen to lost the files after 90 days. I am pretty much covered.

If they don't order after 90 days, I charge them to retrieve the files, that account for the extra hdd for me to keep their files, but of course, I am not in any obligation to keep them after 90 days.

Instead of giving you a competitive edge, I would think it works the opposite as client typically would assume that you kept a copy if you don't give them the cd.

But many give out the CD and I don't see this will be a "selling point"

Regards,

Hart