Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader

Aug 25, 2003
DEATH*
Visit site
There have been few competitions recently that require entrants to summit shots taken by "FILM" only. This goes to show that proper skills like composition, technique in photography is still important.

For people who want to know know where they stand in their photography, These "FILM" competitions is a good way to know. but then, you need "FILM" cameras.

vader said:
There have been few competitions recently that require entrants to summit shots taken by "FILM" only. This goes to show that proper skills like composition, technique in photography is still important.

For people who want to know know where they stand in their photography, competitions is a good way to know. but then, you need "FILM" cameras.

cheers to film... :thumbsup:

That's good news for me. Many times I thought of submitting but they were looking for pics taken by digital cameras, or at least seem to favour digital. And I don't own any digital camera.

Are you sending your pics here, you are in Zimbabwe..... :D

Personally, I feel that digital pics aren't any bit inferior to film pics. You need every bit as much skill to capture a good pic with a digital camera.

I made the switch from Dynax 7 to 10D abt 3 months back and have not looked back. It has been a great learning experience with digital. There are now so many things I can do with photoshop that I couldn't do with films, because I do not have the necessary tools/equipments to do something similar.

For example, there no longer is a need for a darkroom and you complete the entire pic development loop yourself. You decide how much exposure and so on instead of leaving that to the studio. Also, you can try things like buring and dodging. Cloning and healing are still being done with film, although through the use of airbrush. What digital have done is made all these available. So it would pay to appreciate the easy accessibility these tools are for us photographers now. =)

I still believe that digital will replace film someday. My best pal told me he thinks otherwise. Stating that when cameras first appeared we doomed paintings saying it would be replaced. But this argument won't hold true for the Digital V Film debate. Digital will, in time to come be able to replace every single function of film cameras and when that happens. FIlm cameras will not be economically viable.

Do feel free to disagree and share your views. :)

iamasaint said:
Personally, I feel that digital pics aren't any bit inferior to film pics. You need every bit as much skill to capture a good pic with a digital camera.

I made the switch from Dynax 7 to 10D abt 3 months back and have not looked back. It has been a great learning experience with digital. There are now so many things I can do with photoshop that I couldn't do with films, because I do not have the necessary tools/equipments to do something similar.

For example, there no longer is a need for a darkroom and you complete the entire pic development loop yourself. You decide how much exposure and so on instead of leaving that to the studio. Also, you can try things like buring and dodging. Cloning and healing are still being done with film, although through the use of airbrush. What digital have done is made all these available. So it would pay to appreciate the easy accessibility these tools are for us photographers now. =)

I still believe that digital will replace film someday. My best pal told me he thinks otherwise. Stating that when cameras first appeared we doomed paintings saying it would be replaced. But this argument won't hold true for the Digital V Film debate. Digital will, in time to come be able to replace every single function of film cameras and when that happens. FIlm cameras will not be economically viable.

Views on this again!!!

vader said:

For people who want to know know where they stand in their photography, These "FILM" competitions is a good way to know. but then, you need "FILM" cameras.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: y film only? Y? Y? Y?... surely there's a reason behind y they ask for FILM....... :bsmilie: ;) :bsmilie: ;) :bsmilie: ;)

Gunjack said:
That's good news for me. Many times I thought of submitting but they were looking for pics taken by digital cameras, or at least seem to favour digital. And I don't own any digital camera.

That's news to me! What are the competitions which only require film? I've only seen competitions which want digital only. Maybe I do live in Mars. The radio waves haven't hit home yet. :p

1. Personally, I feel that digital pics aren't any bit inferior to film pics.

Ans: Nobody is saying digital pics are inferior...

2. You need every bit as much skill to capture a good pic with a digital camera.

Ans: But of course...

3. For example, there no longer is a need for a darkroom and you complete the entire pic development loop yourself. You decide how much exposure and so on instead of leaving that to the studio. Also, you can try things like buring and dodging.

Ans: We "ANCIENT" B/W shooters complete the entire pic development loop ourself, We also decide the exposure, we always do dodge & burning since donkeys years ago...

ibika said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: y film only? Y? Y? Y?... surely there's a reason behind y they ask for FILM....... :bsmilie: ;) :bsmilie: ;) :bsmilie: ;)

:bsmilie: Dun tell you :blah:

There is one competition which allows digital pics but has a rule, "Digital picture without any form of manipulation, with the exception of colour correction and contrast adjustment, will be accepted as an entry".

Think the competition is "The Spirit of Geylang Serai Photographic Competition".

So there is nothing much to do even if you have a digicam, just that you can view and if you don't like it delete it...

Your last statement here implies that to know where they stand in photography, they should take part in these "film" competitions. This is a good way to "know". It is because of this implication that I'm suggesting film isn't the only way to learn. Take part in digital competition and you WILL learn too. =)

Your first statement contradicts what you just quoted
2. You need every bit as much skill to capture a good pic with a digital camera.

Ans: But of course...
You state that "Film" only competition shows and can indicate proper skills like composition, technique in photography (that it is important to "film" based competition. I'm suggesting that that is not entirely true cos you need just the same requirements in a digital competition.

Lastly,

3. For example, there no longer is a need for a darkroom and you complete the entire pic development loop yourself. You decide how much exposure and so on instead of leaving that to the studio. Also, you can try things like buring and dodging.

Ans: We "ANCIENT" B/W shooters complete the entire pic development loop ourself, We also decide the exposure, we always do dodge & burning since donkeys years ago...

But how many photography enthusiasts could have access to a darkroom as opposed to photoshop? Its good that you guys have been doing these for years and I really admire you guys. I really mean it. Its just that with photoshop, digital users have so much more to explore now than ever before.

There are many reasons why some defend film over digital and lets not get into a debate (if we are not already). Photography is big enough to accomodate both users and I guess my main grouse are the implications wheich you seem to suggest as stated above. Nothing more. Cheers!

Not another digital vs film discussion!

Anyway, with regards to digital comps vs film comps, I have always wondered - How do you verify the authenticity of a printed digital pic? If the rules say "no manipulation", how are you going to prove it as well?

On a related note, I've seen a competition which says accepts both film and digital, but states "No inkjet/dyesub, etc prints will be accepted." Why? I couldn't understand.

Regards
CK

Hello Mr Saint, this statement "You need every bit as much skill to capture a good pic with a digital camera" is first quoted by you, pls check.

I just answer you, yes, for digital users to churn out good pics the proper skills must be there also.

I'm just asking "FIlM USERS" to go and try to know where they stand in competitions. of course, digital photography has a lot to learn also.

Digital people learn their way of doing things, Film people learn their way of doing things.

Mr ckiang, this is not a discussion about digital vs film unless someone wanna do it.

Mr Saint, pls put your main grouse in the proper place. what implications?! If you really think that way, then I think you are too narrow mined!!

iamasaint said:
This is for you, Mr Saint.

ibika said:
Views on this again!!!

So you see Mr Saint, we don't wanna talk about which is good or bad. you wanna do that??

iamasaint said:

Hello Mr ckiang, this is for you. :thumbsup: so now you know who wanna have a discussion about Film vs digital.

ckiang said:
Anyway, with regards to digital comps vs film comps, I have always wondered - How do you verify the authenticity of a printed digital pic? If the rules say "no manipulation", how are you going to prove it as well?

On a related note, I've seen a competition which says accepts both film and digital, but states "No inkjet/dyesub, etc prints will be accepted." Why? I couldn't understand.

Regards
CK

Back to Competitions again...

Like you, i also :dunno: how they gonna do that. :dunno: maybe they have PS experts??

For photographers who wanna try competitions locally, the major camera stores in the penisular area will have the forms. Stores like cathay photo, konota, ruby photo, TCW...etc. one competition I know is the geylang serai, another one is the one organize by the red-cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.