Competition: Fishing for Truth!

knight84

Mar 1, 2009
West Side
AISEC SMU and Fish and Co have launched a photography competition called - "Fishing for Truth".

Competition ends 11th April so please hurry!! ( extended from 21st March)

More details are below.

The money collected form the entries will be donated Lion's Befrienders.

189696_145232282208048_136896346374975_280800_8254307_n.jpg

188400_145301412201135_136896346374975_281235_4691889_n.jpg

185964_145301708867772_136896346374975_281240_7099543_n.jpg

Last edited:
Up! for this comeptition!!

Pay $5 to submit photo ? and if you dont win..?

Already say that money from entries goes to Lion's befrienders. Like charity shoot lor.

be careful on how u are gonna go about shooting this. one wrong move, and u will end up being very degrading on groups of people in your photograph.

its a fine line, between highlighting poverty issues and simply labelling people. this takes a lot of research, interaction with subjects and getting their permission for photographs. its only ethical if we ensure that whateva we portray is true and not simply a misrepresentation/ random labelling. i'm considering this kind of genre to be photojournalistic actually.

my 2 cents

I completely agree with you that its a fine line.

However, to shoot with permission or to shoot from a distance without interfering with them is totally a personal choice of the photographer! In either instance it is the responsibility of the photographer to ensure that the subjects are not exploited - for the lack of a better word.

cheers
A

be careful on how u are gonna go about shooting this. one wrong move, and u will end up being very degrading on groups of people in your photograph.

its a fine line, between highlighting poverty issues and simply labelling people. this takes a lot of research, interaction with subjects and getting their permission for photographs. its only ethical if we ensure that whateva we portray is true and not simply a misrepresentation/ random labelling. i'm considering this kind of genre to be photojournalistic actually.

my 2 cents

In either instance it is the responsibility of the photographer to ensure that the subjects are not exploited - for the lack of a better word.

yep. what i intended. seen someone did that before, saw him getting shot down by a panel of judges. it was really not a nice experience. just passing on what i know lar

Thanks for the input. I am sure some of us here will find it useful!!
yep. what i intended. seen someone did that before, saw him getting shot down by a panel of judges. it was really not a nice experience. just passing on what i know lar

Deadline extended to 11th April 2011

Pls support this cause!!

However, to shoot with permission or to shoot from a distance without interfering with them is totally a personal choice of the photographer! In either instance it is the responsibility of the photographer to ensure that the subjects are not exploited - for the lack of a better word.

2 weeks more to go..please support this cause :)

knight84 said:
2 weeks more to go..please support this cause :)

2 more weeks? I thought deadline was 21 march?

extended to 11th April..pls check my post above!

1 week more...please support this competition :)

I wish to support but I don't what kind of photo they want? Anything picture well do? What is 300dpi? Don't mind to explain cause I seldom use that instead of pixel.

Well it is very clearly explained in the theme what they are looking for.

Show casing financial and emotional poverty amongst the elderly in singapore.

Hope this helps

300 dpi is the dots per inch u set this when u post process the image. If its at 72 dpi you cant print too big else the image will be pixelated.

some tips to those who are joining.

Do's
- To get a good shot, you should get to know your subject. Talk to him or her, find out more about him/her, chat with him/her, let him/her be comfortable with you then ask for a permission to take photograph of him/her. I am sure these elderly will be most willing to talk to you (as not much ppl including their family do!) if you can show to them u are sincere.

Don'ts
- Dun take spy shoots using zoom lens and make your subjects uncomfortable
- Dun take any shoots if your subjects declines to be photographed