Competition - Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybearbrick

Nov 16, 2004

Not sure if this has been posted.

I visited the almost complete Buddha Tooth Relic Temple today,
there is a Buddhist shop (affiliated to the upcoming temple) opposite (beside Maxwell Market) posted a notice:
Photography Competition of the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple
jointly organized by PSS during the month of May 2007.
The websites are not updated with the info yet. For more info, please visit the shop.

I think this is gonna be a really interesting and meaningful competition that should attract Buddhist photographers and also non-Buddhists photographers who would like to catch a glimpse of the temple.

More events during Vesak Day.

Anyone with more information can contribute.​

Thanks for the info. This sounds pretty interesting. I am sure many who are into photojournalism will turn up for the event.

ups for this event....shoot shoot shoot....:thumbsup:

33744fef59.jpg

What exactly do they mean by "soft opening"? Its either open or not open right?​

The building looks tilted to the right...
hmmm... since when did this become a C&C thread?
nevertheless... thanks anyway and many friends have commented on my lazy batch editing of this series,
so here is a corrected version:

According to a Buddhist friend,
the architecture of the Buddha Relic Temple is diffferent ffrom traditional Buddhists temples, Thai temples or even Taoist temples.
But interestingly, there is a close resembrance to Japanese Buddhist temples.

c707744706.jpg

and it clearly does lack the colour rich details of a Hinduism temple
d852dacc73.jpg

Today, went back to get more information about the competition, click on thumbnail below to view full details.
Grand Prize: S$10,000
Second Prize: S$8,000
Third Prize: S$3,000
10 Merit: S$500 each
Consolation (150-200): S$200 each

IMG_1459copy.jpg
[
IMG_1454copy.jpg

Are we allow to go in to take photographs? I mean if I am not joining the competition?

Was going to post the details later, but seems details are online already...:)

yes, the temple doesn't seem to look like the typical Chinese Buddhist temple... actually it is based on Tang Dynasty temples... its resemblance to Japanese temples is due to the fact that the Buddhist temples in Japan are based on Chinese Tang dynasty temples as well, and they have survived till today whereas many of the Tang dynasty built temples in China have been destroyed, demolished or rebuilt... experts from both China and Japan were consulted as to the design of the temple, with craftsmen from both countries involved in the creation of the structure and decor... note the solid structural beams made from single pieces of hardwood trunks from borneo, the premium Green Stone floor tiles, intricate roof tiles and cast bronze gold plated capitals... and the wooden structure (at least in the top floors) are built with nailess construction, and are not painted but actually lacquared like those lacquared bento boxes... facing the building on the left is the drum tower, and on the right, the bell tower... the main hall is straight in from the door, and is a huge 2 storey room with a main Buddha statue and walls covered with niches... on the fourth floor is the relic viewing chamber and on special occasions only the tooth relic will be on display behind bullet proof glass upon a gold stupa...

there ends the brief orientation (was there on Saturday for a briefing)... will not be taking part in competition though (not allowed)... no, I will not be posting images I took from within the temple so don't request... might post some external shots though...

thanks for the info. bro.

yeah, congrats to the winners and BIG congratulation to the 1st prize winner for hardware category. nice shot and well thought!

Congrats to the winners.

I just want to lament that the theme 1 was supposed to be architecture AND artifacts
How many artifacts shots are there in the winner and merit? I think is way outnumbered by the external architecture shots.
If the theme had been something like just architecture then it makes more sense.
I feel that it is not really fair to those who might have submitted alot of those temple artifacts(like statues etc) which are nice photographic objects on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.