Compatible Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pixel

Hi

Am thinking of getting the Canon EF17-40mm/f4l and the EF28-135IS USM... but of course like many, it is way out of budget..... so looking at compatible lens like Sigma, which I heard got some good lens....

Anyone can advise what are the compatible/closest match Sigma lens for the above which can perform just as well..... and of course way below the Canon prices..... if got price indication, very much appreciated....

Thinking of gettting either of these for travel purpose.... do not wish to carry whole bag full of lens.... and also the 50mm/f1.8 for some low light fast lens....

Also posted this in Dpreview... so can get Local + International views.... :)

Thank you.

The equivalent for the wide angle would be the Sigma 17-35 f/2.8-4 EX HSM. It's around $800 new? Mine is the Minolta versio without the HSM. The lens is very bright, good colour saturation... except that distortion is very obvious at 17mm... otherwise it's pretty good and oh yes..... filters are going to be very expensive... the thread diameter is 82mm... :D

The equivalent for the wide to telephoto would be the Tamron 24-135 SP f/3.5-5.6 Macro. It is a very good lens. Sharp, fast focus, little abberations (IMO) and good colour saturation also. Cost me $580 when new a year ago. Should be cheaper now. Thread diameter is 77mm. It's quite heavy but the glass is good.

Both lens come with flower shapped lens hood.

Thanks, will check the two lens out..... cheers

Pixel said:
Thanks, will check the two lens out..... cheers

No problem! Have fun! U might want to try 2nd hand first. I got my Sigma 17-35 for $500 I think., 2nd hand. So if u can find the lens 2nd hand it would be very worth....

Yap, maybe can consider doing that.... maybe can go by Peninsula to take a look....... or any recommended place?? Thanks...... cheers

You can try the Tokina 19-35mm. Bought mine from Cathay couple of months ago. only abt 369?

Thanks, will check it out on the website.

Pixel said:
Yap, maybe can consider doing that.... maybe can go by Peninsula to take a look....... or any recommended place?? Thanks...... cheers

The usual... TCW, Alan, MS Colour, John 3:16 and Cathay. BTW, Cathay does not carry Sigma products at all... have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.