comparison on hoya and kenko ND filters

ahming111

Jan 28, 2010
Hi,
was shopping for ND filters and narrowed down to 2 choices due to cost.

Hoya ND400 and Kenko ND400.

i did read that they are the same but just want to clarify as i saw two versions of the kenko ND400, both writes multi coated, so i'm kind of confused already.

which one is better? or they are really just the same?

Having always heard that the 2 are actually the same. tokina, hoya and kenko now is THK.
Searched the web and someone actually wrote in to enquire and this is the response.

"Same company, same quality. The difference is that in Japan, Hoya filters are ONLY sold under the Kenko brand name, while elsewhere in the world, Hoya is the name everyone sees.

While some companies here in the US sell Kenko filters, they are identical to Hoya."

Glenn Nash
Technical Service Representative
THK Photo Products"

So basically, its the same product under different brand. A marketing strategy I guess

Having always heard that the 2 are actually the same. tokina, hoya and kenko now is THK.
Searched the web and someone actually wrote in to enquire and this is the response.

"Same company, same quality. The difference is that in Japan, Hoya filters are ONLY sold under the Kenko brand name, while elsewhere in the world, Hoya is the name everyone sees.

While some companies here in the US sell Kenko filters, they are identical to Hoya."

Glenn Nash
Technical Service Representative
THK Photo Products"

So basically, its the same product under different brand. A marketing strategy I guess

well then i rather get the kenko one cause it's below $100 only.

but there are actually 2 types of kenko ND400 on sale. not really sure which one to get, it's a difference of $40 somemore

i saw Kenko filter at TK for some $50+.. but that was CPL though.. oops

but there are actually 2 types of kenko ND400 on sale. not really sure which one to get, it's a difference of $40 somemore

Am not very sure but u could always ask the salesperson for the difference. Most prob either its a new model or single coating vs multi coating

Is it Kenko vs Kenko Pro1d?

Am not very sure but u could always ask the salesperson for the difference. Most prob either its a new model or single coating vs multi coating

i asked the sales person, he said one it's multi coat while the other isn't but strangely when he said that i saw the packging on both writes multi coated, so i thot he was bluffing me and i walked away

Both Pro1D and Zeta are Kenko filters. Kenko Pro1D and Kenko Zeta

ok, then i didn't see the word Zeta at the packging. it writes kenko

ok, then i didn't see the word Zeta at the packging. it writes kenko

Hmm then in that case it isn't zeta. I think its Pro1D and the regular Kenko, Pro1D has better coating compare to the regular ones.

hmm.. is there 2 types of ND400? tot i only saw 1 kind at TK.. which is the standard Kenko MC.. the Kenko Pro1D you saw is the CPL?

Standard Kenko = Standard Hoya
Kenko Pro1D = Hoya Pro1D
Kenko Zeta = Hoya HD

can see here for more info on the differences -> http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

hmm.. is there 2 types of ND400? tot i only saw 1 kind at TK.. which is the standard Kenko MC.. the Kenko Pro1D you saw is the CPL?

Standard Kenko = Standard Hoya
Kenko Pro1D = Hoya Pro1D
Kenko Zeta = Hoya HD

can see here for more info on the differences -> http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

nope wor, i ask the sales person, he confirm both are ND400.

so from wat you are saying, the hoya HMC ND400 is actually the normal kenko one is it?

ahming111 said:
nope wor, i ask the sales person, he confirm both are ND400.

so from wat you are saying, the hoya HMC ND400 is actually the normal kenko one is it?

that's what I tot.. Hoya hmc nd400 = Kenko mc nd400.. coz I din see any other nd400 ard..

which shop did u go? mabbe I'll call to check or drop by.. coz I'm looking for a 72mm nd400 too.. was thinking of getting the kenko mc one.. coz I tried b4 n it was not too bad..

that's what I tot.. Hoya hmc nd400 = Kenko mc nd400.. coz I din see any other nd400 ard..

which shop did u go? mabbe I'll call to check or drop by.. coz I'm looking for a 72mm nd400 too.. was thinking of getting the kenko mc one.. coz I tried b4 n it was not too bad..

TK foto, funan branch.

appreciate your feedback aftwards, thanks :)

TK foto, funan branch.

appreciate your feedback aftwards, thanks :)

juz called TK.. confirm only 1 kind of nd400.. kenko mc nd400.. the one u saw might be the kenko pro1d nd4 or nd8? :dunno:

i cant decide to get the kenko nd400 @ $85 or b+w nd110 @ $125.. anyone got any experiences on these 2? pls share.. much appreciated..

juz called TK.. confirm only 1 kind of nd400.. kenko mc nd400.. the one u saw might be the kenko pro1d nd4 or nd8? :dunno:

i cant decide to get the kenko nd400 @ $85 or b+w nd110 @ $125.. anyone got any experiences on these 2? pls share.. much appreciated..

mind sharing where you get these prices? i dnt mind getting B+W if it's at $125 and has no vignetting on my UWA

so the kenko one is the hoya HMC is it?

Last edited: