Comparison of VR/IS/In-body stablization

Status
Not open for further replies.
whoppie. sony wins!:thumbsup:

how can they leave out Nikon's flagship 70-200VR in this shootout?

I feel that a lot of details are abstracted in the article. Sounds like no conclusion at all.

Thanks for sharing :) Sony Alpha 100 performed best for in-body IS with 2-3 stops improvement. Nikon 18-200 VR (3-4 stops), Canon 70-200 F4L IS (2.5-3.5 stops) and Canon 17-85 IS (3 stops) are the best among the lenses tested.

I feel that a lot of details are abstracted in the article. Sounds like no conclusion at all.

you have to buy their magazine to read the whole thing.

The chart is good enough a reference for average camera user. No need to be too scientific, cuz the main variable would still be the individual user.

wouldnt be a good read. in fact, it tells you nothing besides IS/VR/whateveryoucallit works.

wouldnt be a good read. in fact, it tells you nothing besides IS/VR/whateveryoucallit works.
which we all already know it works to some extend.. I just feel it's a subtle form of advertising that a particular model performs best.

my 2cents is that this comparison serves no practical purpose other than what others said, marketing purpose. if i am buying a new system i am not going to skew my choices in favour for something that best compensates for my wobbly hands.

Honestly, I doubt there will ever be a conclusive result to which kind of image stabilization works better. In the case of this test, the results are actually not very useful at all. 2-3.5 stops difference? The fact that there's a range of values means that the results are very subjective. Also, how do you judge a stabilized image at 2 stops down to be sufficiently blur-free to be acceptably blur-free?

that's why i thought they should have provided a clearer description of their test. When I tried taking a picture with IS on, it seems to me that even when IS is on, the image still looks blur at 1 stop slower shutter speed.

woah. i'm quite impressed. i thought sensor-shift IS is much poorer when used with tele lenses.

He who pays the most advertising fee gets the best reviews.

There are some very objective magazines, but to me PopPhoto is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.