Comparison of Pictures taken by an Olympus Camera and Canon Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

canon

No brand bashing, both taken at ard the same spot by 2 different camera, of same megapixel.

Photo 1

Boat.jpg

Photo 2

100-0081_small.jpg

both are not bad. the 2nd pic looks better because it's taken during the earlier part of the evening (more office light and the sky is blue).

Originally posted by mpenza
both are not bad. the 2nd pic looks better because it's taken during the earlier part of the evening (more office light and the sky is blue).

how abt this from olympus?

columbo_court2.jpg

song

the one taken by canon sort of strange but color good.

Do you actually see such smooth blue sky in the evening?? and the artificial part is that the color is so uniform through the sky.

Where got such evening sky??

Maybe a case of over compensation by camera prog. Not natural

This comparison is meaningless without a picture from a Film based SLR camera to determind which one is closer to the real thing.

Lastly, what is the objective for the comparison?

1. Best selection for a given price range?
2. Canon makes better camera than competitiors?
3. Olympus makes better camera than competitiors?
4. Olympus sucks?
5. Canon Sucks?
6. Which DC lens is better? refer to 2. or 3.
7. Who is the better photographer? (out of topic)

Seriously Mr. Canon, i dont understand your motive for starting such a thread. If a comparison is to be made, it has to be subjective. Do at least state the model and settings used.

PS: sorry moderator, maybe i'm being too direct here in my post. but just for the records, mentions of names is used only for sacastic reasons and nothing else.

i noticed from various posts that canon is a staunch advocate of the canon a40. maybe canon can hire you to advertise for them?;)

:D :D :D

i noticed from various posts that canon is a staunch advocate of the canon a40. maybe canon can hire canon to advertise for them?(pun not intended);)

:D :D :D

In this case, I take it that canon wanted to show which picture do we prefer and I will give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Take note that both pictures are taken on different days and different time (A40 is about 32 mins earlier). The settings are also different (A40 in manual mode and C2040Z in Shutter priority)

Some prefer to have their pictures having more natural colours. The C2040Z pic showed that.

Others prefer more vivid pictures and the A40 pic showed that.

It all boils down to individual preference (I am talking about the output and not the equipment which produces these pictures here).

The buildings in the A40 picture are more distorted than the C2040Z. Perhaps the the focal lengths (A40=5.0mm and C2040Z=9.5mm) are different.

In terms of sharpness, I personally feel that the C2040Z is slightly sharper than the A40 picture. This is assuming that no post processing is done to the image beforehand.

Anyway, why don't we concentrate more on photo takings rather than talking about which camera produces better output.

;)

Originally posted by misato
This comparison is meaningless without a picture from a Film based SLR camera to determind which one is closer to the real thing.

Actually, it's hard to say which medium, or even which brand of film, can capture the "real thing". Even for film, different brands and types produce pictures of different saturation, colour cast etc, so film do not in general reproduce what our eyes see as the real thing. In addition, what your eyes see may be different from what my eyes see, we will never know perhaps, so definition of "real" can be a bit obscure here.

I can understand canon's intention of the nightshot comparison, but I must say that it is not a fair one, cos both are taken at different times of the day, probably at different exposures too, and maybe different photographer? Too many variables.

maybe it was this case.

Canon had considered both olympus and canon camera before committing to A40. However, during the comparison, he saw that both had its plus points (eg. A40 is cheap and good and new but olympus is older model , no NR and abit more expensive but with more manual control). So when he committed to A40, he had at times felt that his decision may have not manage to satisfy all his needs and thus sometimes he feels olympus is having those features that he wanted but was not in A40.

As a result, he must try to frequently show to himself that A40 is a better choice. By getting others on his side, he feels better because it reinforces his decision to buy A40 as being the better choice.

It is just a speculations. Actually i also have at times wonder why i never buy canon's ixus for its size although i own an olympus. But i never went to the extreme of doing my above speculation.

Seriously Mr. Canon, i dont understand your motive for starting such a thread. If a comparison is to be made, it has to be subjective. Do at least state the model and settings used.

PS: sorry moderator, maybe i'm being too direct here in my post. but just for the records, mentions of names is used only for sacastic reasons and nothing else.

I think you seriously got a problem, previously, in my thread, I mention names and model you got problem with that

Now, I merely ask which photo looks better, (leaving out exact model details, and purposely DID NOT mention which camera took which picture) you also got problem with that.

What an Id*** you.

You purposely left out the exact model and had ur headlines as Canon vs Olympus???? Harlo????? Wat is ur agenda? Will u like grow up? If u want to establish which one is better, its a subjective issue and dealt with long enuff. Yes we all know wat a stupendous camera the Canon is. Enuff? Geez....

Originally posted by kylelam77
You purposely left out the exact model and had ur headlines as Canon vs Olympus???? Harlo????? Wat is ur agenda? Will u like grow up? If u want to establish which one is better, its a subjective issue and dealt with long enuff. Yes we all know wat a stupendous camera the Canon is. Enuff? Geez....

If you have taken the effort to use some THINKING, before you speak, you would have realise i thing,

Did I mention WHICH CAMERA TOOK WHICH PICTURE ?
Just want to see what is the general opinion of the pictures taken.

And if you have also know how to READ the words before you speak, its comparison of pictures taken by Olympus and Canon camera (read as pictures taken by 2 different manufacturer)

NOT Canon VS Olympus

U don't have to post which camera posted which pic cos the whole forum knows which is posted by which courtesy of some wise crack. If u had bothered to read wat the rest have been writing about u and at the same time mine, u might have perhaps had some sense to realise that the comments were made to allow constructive inputs to photography.

And if u had even went thru the thought process becos u claim to want "comments" about the pictures by different manufacturers, u wouldn't have posted 2 pictures of differing times when the time taken was a critical factor.

Originally posted by canon

I think you seriously got a problem, previously, in my thread, I mention names and model you got problem with that

Now, I merely ask which photo looks better, (leaving out exact model details, and purposely DID NOT mention which camera took which picture) you also got problem with that.

What an Id*** you.

I'm a idiot.. but your answer doesnt anwser my question.
I only asked why a more subjective comparison wasnt carried out. why specifically only between the 2 brands.

Originally posted by kylelam77
U don't have to post which camera posted which pic cos the whole forum knows which is posted by which courtesy of some wise crack.

Then its a self-realisation not within my control. I did what I can, didn't mention the exact camera, even naming the pictures as photo1 and photo2, just want a view on the pictures taken

If u had bothered to read wat the rest have been writing about u and at the same time mine, u might have perhaps had some sense to realise that the comments were made to allow constructive inputs to photography.

so far, I have yet to see any constructive inputs, including yourself, on how the photos can be better taken, what settings or composure will result in better pictures etc..

And if u had even went thru the thought process becos u claim to want "comments" about the pictures by different manufacturers, u wouldn't have posted 2 pictures of differing times when the time taken was a critical factor.

The picture is the closest match I could find, in terms of scene.
If you have anything better, you are welcome to contribute.

I'm a idiot.. but your answer doesnt anwser my question.
I only asked why a more subjective comparison wasnt carried out. why specifically only between the 2 brands.

the basis for comparison is largly a open-ended one, subjected to the poster various points of view, as to which he thinks is a better looking picture. Based on the various aspects of one's assessment, irregardless of knowing which photo is taken from whichever brand of camera.

I think one don't have to be a genius to figure that out, neither could an idiot though.

i don't think u intended it to be one for constructive inputs cos u clearly didn't even mention what it was for. The heading of ur headlines scream at brand bashing or haven't u noticed that not a single comment u made from the first post of this thread has the words "pls comment" in it. It is obvious from ur previous bashing posts what ur original intent was. And if it was self realisation that u proposed, then how come it is immediately known to pple like misato, renaissance, goondu and myself? Is it instinctive???? This thread was never going to be constructive in the first place due to the differing times the pics were taken. Besides, no posts of the settings were apparent. It is clear ur agenda was not meant to be constructive in the first place.

If the moderater havent taken any action, means that properly this thread is still in the "ok" range.

If this comparison was to be a open minded one, then why even to state the 2 brand names in the topic? Isnt that beating your original intend of which picture is good?

Try to look pass the pros and cons of each camera and instead try to take good pictures with it. At most, if you think the colors are bad, then take in b&w all them time, surely 256 shades of gray is hard to find fault with.

Status
Not open for further replies.