Comparison of Nikon and Canon lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizoner

Deregistered
May 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

I m ready for a DSLR finally .. as i want to do some freelance photography. So I hv narrowed down my choice to D100 or 10D.

my questions are ..

1) is Nikon or Canon lens cheaper when comparing one with equivalent focal length and aperture size? Heard that canon lens has a built in motor hence more expensive .. true?

2) which can take more 3rd party lens?

3) what are the disadvantages of using 3rd party lens beside drop in quality?

4) What other issues must i consider b4 jumping to DSLR?

Will appreciate all replies :)

Thanks in advance!

horizoner said:
Hi guys,

I m ready for a DSLR finally .. as i want to do some freelance photography. So I hv narrowed down my choice to D100 or 10D.

my questions are ..

1) is Nikon or Canon lens cheaper when comparing one with equivalent focal length and aperture size? Heard that canon lens has a built in motor hence more expensive .. true?

Thanks in advance!

1. no, some nikon lenses are more expensive than the canon equivalent as well.
2. 3rd party manufacturers usually make their lenses in different mounts, so there isn't any real winner here. however, you can mount old nikon MF lenses on newer nikon bodies as well. (but with effect on camera operation)
3. poor resale value.

1. U r rite about the built in motor for Canon lens, but does that make it more expensive? I'm not too sure.. if you are talking about those high end lens, the price shld be abt the same.. can't be too much of a difference

2. Canon and Nikon are 2 of the major camera maker in the market.. I believed that u can find both the Canon version and Nikon version for the 3rd party lens. so it shld be same for this question.

3. Whoever told u that 3rd party lens give u a drop in quality, he/she obviously don't know anything! 3rd party lens DO have excellent lens that can produce excellent quality. The only disavantage i can think of now is the resale value. 3rd party lens depreciate very fast!

4. Read more, see more and try more.. Read more about the system that u are going to get.. understand it's limitation.. See more of the work by others. see what's the thing that a DSLR can do for u that your current system can't.. Try out the photoshop or any other photo editing software that u can get hold of.. Post editing is almost a MUST for Digital photography

horizoner said:
Hi guys,

my questions are ..

Thanks in advance!

1. For high end, pro lenses, the prices are quite close. For consumer grade lenses, Canon is actually cheaper for many popular focal lengths. Go to a reputable mail order site ( such as www.bhphotovideo.com ) and check out their prices, which are quite representative.

2. All major 3rd party lens makers usually release lenses for both Nikon and Canon. They sometimes skip the Minolta or Pentax mounts, but always cater to Nikon and Canon. So no diff here.

3. As the above post already said, 3rd party lenses have lower resale value. Another issue is compatibility. Eg, some older Sigma lenses have problems with newer Canon bodies. That's because these 3rd party makers reverse engineer the body-lens protocol, and get it right for the current generation of bodies. When a new generation of bodies is released, their reverse-engineered solution may fail.

Though sometimes 3rd party lenses can be inferior to the originals, if you are willing to pay for the high end Sigmas/Tamrons/Tokinas, their quality can be very good and can be better value for money.

4. If you buy a DSLR, remember that except for the very top full frame sensor bodies, you have to consider the lens multiplier factor. For Canon, this is 1.6, while it is 1.5 for Nikons. Remember this when you are going to shoot wide angle. A 20mm lens on a Canon 35mm SLR will become 32mm on a 10D. Your super wide lens suddenly "lost" 12mm and becomes a boring 32mm. You'll need a 17mm lens just to get 28mm. This means that wide angle solutions can be expensive. Another thing : digital camera technology is really gaining speed. Your expensive DSLR will lose it's value ( in money terms ) very quickly. Keep in mind if you wish to resell your DSLR.

BTW, even if you are going freelance, does it have to be digital ? Have you considered film ? After all, cost is not really the issue since your customers will be charged for the film.

Shouldn't you already have a set of SLR lense? If not, then major consideration is after buying the body is you'll still have to spend thousands before you have a full set of lens to do freelance photography or cover events. Wide angle, telephoto, zoom, fast lense, etc, etc. You get the picture.

Also, best to have 2 bodies when covering major events like wedding as too time comsumming to change lense and risk losing the moment.

Shooting digital, then have to consider getting lots of memory card... Or a few with high storage space...

These are just my 2 cents worth...

:D

chriszzz said:
1. For high end, pro lenses, the prices are quite close. For consumer grade lenses, Canon is actually cheaper for many popular focal lengths. Go to a reputable mail order site ( such as www.bhphotovideo.com ) and check out their prices, which are quite representative.

2. All major 3rd party lens makers usually release lenses for both Nikon and Canon. They sometimes skip the Minolta or Pentax mounts, but always cater to Nikon and Canon. So no diff here.

3. As the above post already said, 3rd party lenses have lower resale value. Another issue is compatibility. Eg, some older Sigma lenses have problems with newer Canon bodies. That's because these 3rd party makers reverse engineer the body-lens protocol, and get it right for the current generation of bodies. When a new generation of bodies is released, their reverse-engineered solution may fail.

Though sometimes 3rd party lenses can be inferior to the originals, if you are willing to pay for the high end Sigmas/Tamrons/Tokinas, their quality can be very good and can be better value for money.

4. If you buy a DSLR, remember that except for the very top full frame sensor bodies, you have to consider the lens multiplier factor. For Canon, this is 1.6, while it is 1.5 for Nikons. Remember this when you are going to shoot wide angle. A 20mm lens on a Canon 35mm SLR will become 32mm on a 10D. Your super wide lens suddenly "lost" 12mm and becomes a boring 32mm. You'll need a 17mm lens just to get 28mm. This means that wide angle solutions can be expensive. Another thing : digital camera technology is really gaining speed. Your expensive DSLR will lose it's value ( in money terms ) very quickly. Keep in mind if you wish to resell your DSLR.

BTW, even if you are going freelance, does it have to be digital ? Have you considered film ? After all, cost is not really the issue since your customers will be charged for the film.

is there any other solutions to the wide angle issue? ermm .. how about having a wide angle attachement, such as those used on pro-comsumer cam?

it's more convenient to shoot in digital, and i'm more comfy with it actually :) borned as a digi photographer and will die as one ...

:bsmilie:

chelsea said:
1. U r rite about the built in motor for Canon lens, but does that make it more expensive? I'm not too sure.. if you are talking about those high end lens, the price shld be abt the same.. can't be too much of a difference

2. Canon and Nikon are 2 of the major camera maker in the market.. I believed that u can find both the Canon version and Nikon version for the 3rd party lens. so it shld be same for this question.

3. Whoever told u that 3rd party lens give u a drop in quality, he/she obviously don't know anything! 3rd party lens DO have excellent lens that can produce excellent quality. The only disavantage i can think of now is the resale value. 3rd party lens depreciate very fast!

4. Read more, see more and try more.. Read more about the system that u are going to get.. understand it's limitation.. See more of the work by others. see what's the thing that a DSLR can do for u that your current system can't.. Try out the photoshop or any other photo editing software that u can get hold of.. Post editing is almost a MUST for Digital photography

opssss :eek: i m the one who "obviously don't know anything" about 3rd party lens. I guess resale value is not too impt as i will most probably stick with it as long as it's serve its purpose. :thumbsup:

Kira said:
Shouldn't you already have a set of SLR lense? If not, then major consideration is after buying the body is you'll still have to spend thousands before you have a full set of lens to do freelance photography or cover events. Wide angle, telephoto, zoom, fast lense, etc, etc. You get the picture.

Also, best to have 2 bodies when covering major events like wedding as too time comsumming to change lense and risk losing the moment.

Shooting digital, then have to consider getting lots of memory card... Or a few with high storage space...

These are just my 2 cents worth...

:D

I m more interested in shooting events like wedding dinner and company events. So I will most probably need a wide and zoom.

2 bodies?? no way man .. too ex :bheart:

but most probably i will use my 5700/717 as backup.

You really need at least two bodies for such events.

Just in case if one is down, the quality of the picture is still the same.

horizoner said:
I m more interested in shooting events like wedding dinner and company events. So I will most probably need a wide and zoom.

2 bodies?? no way man .. too ex :bheart:

but most probably i will use my 5700/717 as backup.

Wide? Then you may have to choose the D100. The only decent wide available for either camera is the 12-24DX lens from Nikon.

Watcher said:
Wide? Then you may have to choose the D100. The only decent wide available for either camera is the 12-24DX lens from Nikon.

I have seen and tried my friends 12-24DX. It's an amazing lens. Demand for this len is so great that Nikon has rasied the price twice already. :cry:

taker said:
I have seen and tried my friends 12-24DX. It's an amazing lens. Demand for this len is so great that Nikon has rasied the price twice already. :cry:
Eh, how much was it originally? :sweat: Thinking of getting it for my next trip. I wonder if it is cheaper in US :think:

taker said:

ermm .. any idea how much will it cost now at CP/AP?

anyway .. i've bought the D100 and happy with it :)

any reasonable good 3rd party WA that u guys can recommend?

horizoner said:
The above? :D Frankly, there are few lenses that can be wide enough to be consider wide as the crop factor is 1.5 (a 17mm lens == 25.5mm hardly wide) . Don't forget to change your signature that contains your equipment list

:heart: 12-24mm is a wonderful lense, didn't know that Nikon raised the price 2x though.

taker said:

I think the closest is probably the Tokina 19-35mm, the Sigma 17-35mm is also good, but the price is much more than the Tokina's.

horizoner said:

Watcher said:
The above? :D Frankly, there are few lenses that can be wide enough to be consider wide as the crop factor is 1.5 (a 17mm lens == 25.5mm hardly wide) . Don't forget to change your signature that contains your equipment list

:D thanks for the reminder ... updated it already :)

just wondering .. should i sell off 5700 or 717? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.