Comparison of 3.2Megapixel ultra compact digicams

Status
Not open for further replies.

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
I have been looking around at the ultra compact digicam market and at the 3.2MP range and so made a comparison list of all the ultra compact digicams on the market at the moment. Only salient features have been compared.

All cameras come with the following:

1) at least 3x optical zoom
2) built in flash
3) tripod mount
4) multi segment metering
5) TTL AF

Check this link:
http://www.geocities.com/mingern76/Ultracompact3.2MPcomparo.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good guide!

Haha... so much time ah.. not .. err.. preparing lectures? haha

Ai... no time lar........ invigilation playing havoc with my timetable..... next u will see if I prepare lecture or not.....

Just a question.. the S602z is not an ultra compact what.. why izzit listed on the list

That's something I'm rather interested in at the moment so I put it in as a comparo as I need to convince my sis to get that "ugly lump"...... she wants something small and chic, I rather get something functional and full of features...... so see whose skill better lar...... we sharing the cost see......

It's basically between the Canon IXUS II and the Pentax Optio S. But the Canon does have less zoom but better pictures. The Pentax is smaller and more cool and 3x optical zoom. On the balance, I would plump for the Canon except that my sis may want the Pentax... actually what I really want is the Fuji S602Z.... now if only I can convince her..... kekeke.... :bsmilie:

TME, I think you might need to check the detailed specs of each camera rather than the brief descriptions. At least from what I know, the S602's min/max shutter is 15s-1/10000 and not 3-1/2000(only for Auto). But if you are comparing them as P&S(i.e auto mode only) then it would be correct.

Zerstorer said:
TME, I think you might need to check the detailed specs of each camera rather than the brief descriptions. At least from what I know, the S602's min/max shutter is 15s-1/10000 and not 3-1/2000(only for Auto). But if you are comparing them as P&S(i.e auto mode only) then it would be correct.

Is that so? Hmm... the specs were taken first from dpreview's tables then modified according to what I read from the other 2 review sites... but I did look through all the details, the original comparo was much longer than this - about 3-4 pages long.... I pared it down to fit one page and also make it easier for my sis to understand the comparison.... thought it might be useful for someone shopping around without having to contend with a lot of the other technical details like CCD type, etc.... what I have left in are the basics.... but yeah, I know the S602Z performs like an SLR... that is also one reason to get it... :D

Well, that's a little dangerous, you need to read the detailed reviews of each camera. Often, the brief specs are exactly what they are...brief. Apart from timings, other specs cannot really be taken at face value for direct comparison. It is always best to read the detailed review and pore over the image samples to form a better conclusion.

Anyway it's listed clearly on the first brief spec table of Dpreview's Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis602z/

Frankly speaking, TME if you are looking for 3.2 Mb cameras. The image quality is not really very spectecular, so no need to spend too much time thinking of it. 3.2Mb is just good enough for on screen viewing or occasionally 4R print out. I don't recommend it for blow up. You can just concentrate on yr manual setting you wanted and the small and light weight your sister wants. The 2 cameras like the Canon and the Pentax are good choices. You might want to get a LCD protector sticker for the LCD and also maybe a 128MB memory. It probably gonna end up around $700++ . The Sitex exhibition coming this weekends is a good place to have a feel of the products u wanted, who knows they might have better offers.

Cheers,
Danny

Zerstorer said:
Well, that's a little dangerous, you need to read the detailed reviews of each camera. Often, the brief specs are exactly what they are...brief. Apart from timings, other specs cannot really be taken at face value for direct comparison. It is always best to read the detailed review and pore over the image samples to form a better conclusion.

Anyway it's listed clearly on the first brief spec table of Dpreview's Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis602z/

I did..... I pored over detailed reviews from all the 3 more popular review sites: dpreview, steve's digicams and dcrecource before narrowing down the field to the IXUS II, Optio S and S602Z. The S602Z I'm more familiar with what it can do cos I was quite interested in it when it was new until I saw the price tag lar........ :D

dannynys said:
Frankly speaking, TME if you are looking for 3.2 Mb cameras. The image quality is not really very spectecular, so no need to spend too much time thinking of it. 3.2Mb is just good enough for on screen viewing or occasionally 4R print out. I don't recommend it for blow up. You can just concentrate on yr manual setting you wanted and the small and light weight your sister wants. The 2 cameras like the Canon and the Pentax are good choices. You might want to get a LCD protector sticker for the LCD and also maybe a 128MB memory. It probably gonna end up around $700++ . The Sitex exhibition coming this weekends is a good place to have a feel of the products u wanted, who knows they might have better offers.

Cheers,
Danny

Sitex this weekend? Woah...... cool! But I think that buying from SLS still cheaper..... unless there are very special offers lar....

I'm sticking to the supplied 16MB card and maybe 64MB ($50 right?) first. Maybe u can recommend what brands I should look out for when buying SD cards. It's more for a fun shoot for my sis than for serious work or hobby... that I will leave to the Dynax 7.

Anyway, I think so long and hard bec the cameras are not cheap! I dun print money nor do I roll in money...... if so I wun even consider at all..... just buy and throw away (BATA) id I not happy with it..... at any rate, the printouts at 4R should be pretty satisfactory considering the limitations of such a small lens...

dannynys said:
Frankly speaking, TME if you are looking for 3.2 Mb cameras. The image quality is not really very spectecular, so no need to spend too much time thinking of it. 3.2Mb is just good enough for on screen viewing or occasionally 4R print out. I don't recommend it for blow up.

This is not true. 3.2MP is more than sufiicient for 4R prints and good enough for 8R. I have made great prints from similar resolution. Others have too. Do note that the pro bodies, Nikon D1X and Canon 1D both contains only 33% more pixels and by your definition and extrapolation, they are only good for the occassional 5R prints (~40+% larger than 4R).

mpenza said:
This is not true. 3.2MP is more than sufiicient for 4R prints and good enough for 8R. I have made great prints from similar resolution. Others have too. Do note that the pro bodies, Nikon D1X and Canon 1D both contains only 33% more pixels and by your definition and extrapolation, they are only good for the occassional 5R prints (~40+% larger than 4R).

Thanks for the confirmation. BTW, while we are at pro bodies... I saw the advert for the D2H on CT today and it said 4.1 MP effective? I thought this was the top-of-the-line body from Nikon, how come the res is so low? Thought most pro DSLRs come with 6MP? How to enlarge beyond 10R?

you could enlarge beyond 10R easily with images captured from a large sensor on DSLRs.

anyway, the D2H is meant for sports and photo journalists. They don't need high resolution for enlargements. What they value is fast transfer to their news offices to get the news and pics published. (this is from what I read from magazines. the actual workflow may be different) The previous model, D1H has only a 2.7MP sencor.

mpenza said:

Well, I don't really like the look of the 4R digital print out from Fuji. The colour looks weird and got this digital print out look. Maybe I'm too fussy for a 4R print, but I just don't feel digital is sharp. It looks great on screen though, but it's not that good on print. Perhaps, Mpenza can enlightened me on that?

Digital prints depend heavily on how you or the operator processes them prior to printing. You can definitely get excellent 4R prints from a 3+MP digicam and rather good 8R ones as well. The most important thing would be your control of the sharpening and that requires quite a bit of experimentation to get it right.

Need to point out also that digicams of same MP rating are not directly comparable in image quality. To draw an analogy to a film camera, you are changing both the lens and the film inside when you are comparing 2 digital cameras. One may be using Press 400 and some fancy APO lens the other Kodak MAX 400 with a kit lens.

Thanks for the comments,

I am sure there are digital cameras that are better than the others. Personally, I saw some good macro photo print out from digital camera. It's quite true that MP rating isn't everything. I doubt of high quality from consumer range digital cameras. The colour dynamic is quite narrow, I am not sure if it's because of the printer. Anyone knows the different between Kodak or FujiFilm printout? I heard Kodak supposed to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.