Comparison between Film & Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
Currently doing a project on comparison between film and digital camera. Would appreciate the help, comments given. ;)

First question, why are DSLR ( >$1.5k ) much more expensive than Film SLR ( >$500 )?
What are some of the main reasons?

Originally posted by Kit
Same old answer.........you're paying for the technology. Its getting cheaper already btw.

Same old reply. Define "technology"?
LCD, EVF, flash memory etc..

btw, does SLR have electronic viewfinder?

Originally posted by revenant

Same old reply. Define "technology"?
LCD, EVF, flash memory etc..

btw, does SLR have electronic viewfinder?

Well, for one, I think we would be paying for the R&D that went on before we see the real product. These costs money. Do not ask me what goes on at those R&D stages though. I believe there are more qualified people here to answer that. ;p

I believe all SLRs use optical viewfinders.

Originally posted by revenant
Currently doing a project on comparison between film and digital camera. Would appreciate the help, comments given. ;)

First question, why are DSLR ( >$1.5k ) much more expensive than Film SLR ( >$500 )?
What are some of the main reasons?

[1] Production cost of DSLR is higher than cost of film SLR. Besides the body with a mirror and a prism, DLSR also carries CCD sensor, CPU, LCD display, software. All these components add up the cost.

In top DSLRs, CCD sensor is the most expensive component, and its cost could be in thousands of dollars. The larger CCD array, the more expensive it is. For today’s technology, the production cost of silicon chip is proportional to the forth or higher power of its chip area.

Example. D1X's CCD chip is 1.5 times smaller of 35mm frame linearly, or 2.25 times smaller by area. To produce CCD chip of 24mmx36mm size, it will cost at least 2.25^4 or 25 times more than to produce D1X's CCD.

[2] As other members replied, the cost of R&D is also greater for DSLRs. Film cameras normally stay on the market for 10-20 years. Digital cameras have lesser "period of life" of about 2-3 years. Because of strong competition, manufactures have to introduce new models of DLSRs faster, which keeps their R&D expenses high.

Status
Not open for further replies.