Comparison Between 18-55 Version I & II

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
ok. As promised, here are some same images taken by both lenses.
I for one do not know how to tell the difference so posted the images here for the experts.

18-55 V1
1855-1a.jpg

18-55 V2
1855-2a.jpg

18-55 V1
1855-1b.jpg

18-55 V2
1855-2b.jpg

18-55 V1
1855-1c.jpg

18-55 V2
1855-2c.jpg

ok..this is not the kit lens but the DA40. I am quite amazed by this little pancake.
Images turned out sharper than than the 50 f/1.4...

Da40.jpg

Seems like V2 gives you brighter images all the time. Did you check the exposure?

Nope. Was doing a quick snap, so left it at autopict mode.
cheers

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparsion. Seems that V1 is slightly under exposure when compared to V2. Can't really tell if V2 can give more detail unless we do some pixel peeping. (eg. a 100% of the 'STOP' sign in the carpark, the word underneath CVTC).

cheerss..

Hi Airconvent, thanks for the pics... hmm, probably if you have time (to trouble yourself again ;p) here is what I probably would do to compare both of these lens.

1. Take the same pic on 18mm at F3.5, and at F8 or F11, make sure same shutter speed/iso, crop 100% to pixel peep both photos at wide open and stop down. Crop at corners and centre of the pic.

2. Take the same pic on 55mm at F5.6, and at F8 or F11, make sure same shutter speed/iso, crop 100% to pixel peep both photos at wide open and stop down. Crop at corners and centre of the pic.

With this probably we can compare a bit on the sharpness and vigetting on the lens. Anyway the original kit is a pretty decent lens, I expect the new version to be better. Might need to test it on the K20D also to see how it resolve the details ;p

Hi Airconvent, thanks for the pics... hmm, probably if you have time (to trouble yourself again ;p) here is what I probably would do to compare both of these lens.

Hi
Will try ..but may not be free to take anymore such comparison shots until the weekend again...:)

Thanks for the comparison. As some said above, some 100% crops are needed to see the actual difference. But at least the new kit II seems to be more accurate w/ metering/exposure.

To me i feel V2 looks sharper...

I think to make a valid "comparative test" the shots should not be shot using the auto pic mode and perhaps center weighted metering. Best to shoot manually so that the aperture and shutter speed settings remain the same throughout. Some of the exif for aperture are different.

ok...managed to do a quick sneak, so here they are. :)

V1 F3.5 1/45sec

V1F35.jpg

V2 F3.5 1/45sec
V2F35.jpg

V1 F16, 1/10Sec

V1F16.jpg

V2 F16, 1/10Sec

V2F16.jpg

hrm, the first few , v2 looks better, but mainly due to exposure - looks like yes, the metering is more accurate on the v2 than the v1 - which well, underexposes.

as for the later shots though, they look the same at this size. maybe the difference can only be told at 100% crop, or even with the k20d. after all, pentax was ok with leaving the v1 with the k10d (same sensor and megapixels as the k200d) - and the main reason touted for v2 was because of the increased resolution in the k20d ; correct me if i'm wrong.

Got a nice package in the mail today! A nice new DA 18-55mm II.
Ok will post some pictures when my other new toy arrives. :bsmilie:

welcome to the club! now you can do a more professional review of the lens...
I already sold off my 18-55 Version1....
:)

DO you have the v1 still? Please do a newpaper test for both. Thanks!!

DO you have the v1 still? Please do a newspaper test for both. Thanks!!

Aiyah, don't have original DA 18-55mm anymore. Will need to borrow one to do a side by side comparison with the new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.