Comparing KM24-85 & KM18-70 & SIGMA18-125

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankm

Nov 29, 2004
tankm.fotki.com
Comparison between the following three lens on Minolta 5D.
1. KM 24-85 f3.5 - 4.5
2. KM 18-70 f3.5 - 5.6
3. Sigma 18-125 f3.5-5.6

The selected f-stop for comparison are selected based on the widest aperture available on all lens being compared. All photos taken on tripod, with remote cable release and 2 seconds timer with mirror-lockup.

All are 100% crop and the first row of each pictures are from the center of the photo. Row 2 and 3 are taken closer to the edge.

Not sure why the photo takens on the KM 18-70 on the same focal length are slightly different from the rest.

In term of sharpness, the KM 24-85 is the best among the three. :thumbsup:

As for the Sigma, it's better at the longer focal length than at it's wide angle. Comparing the SIGMA against the KM 18-70, the SIGMA lose out on edge sharpness. The center sharpness is very close to the KM 18-70 on wide, but better on the longer focal length.

Test photo here ---> http://www.pbase.com/tkm/lens_test_1

the minolta 24-85 has been traditionally a sharp lens for it's price... :D

too bad the crop factor massacred its wide angle capability...

Thanks for doing the lens comparison test. I sold off my kit lens for the Sigma. It's a pity the 24-85 is too long on the wide end, otherwise it'd be a very good walkabout lens.

The KM24-85 is not too bad on the DSLR in my opinion, as compare to 28-xx. But then it depends a lot on individual shooting style as well.

The SIGMA has great coverage but suffer edge sharpness quality at it's wide side. It's sufficient when you do not intend to do large print or viewing 100% on the monitor. :bsmilie:

Nice test ... I will be keen to see how the KM24-85 compare against KM 28-75 and KM 28-135 ..

I could probably give that a go if not for the lack of a digital body. If you are interested to run this test, do let me know.

I remember reading a review between Nikon, Canon, Contax and Minolta's 24-85mm lenses. Minolta was best in center sharpness and worst in corner sharpness.

OneIndigo said:
Nice test ... I will be keen to see how the KM24-85 compare against KM 28-75 and KM 28-135 ..

I could probably give that a go if not for the lack of a digital body. If you are interested to run this test, do let me know.

If you are refering to KM28-75 f2.8 than no fight at all.... however it will be interesting to see how far off are those consumer $ lens compare to expensive $$$ lens. It will be interesting to see different between 24-85 against the 28-135.

Status
Not open for further replies.