Comparing different flash bounce method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Apr 7, 2002
West
www.jesterphotography.net
Just want to share some result from using different flash bouncing method. This is just a small test to show how the light fall on the subject, it is by no means comprehensive and done by a noob, which is me :)

ok here goes.... all setting is on manual so as to gauge the light loss using different method. The camera setting is F5.6 1/60. Flash, using a SB80DX, is set to the same setting too. The picture is not process in anyway.

The first, the object without flash. Camera setting is F5.6 3sec. There's light coming from the right, which is my window. I tried to minimise the light by drawing the curtain close.
Img001.jpg

This is using SB80DX direct on the object
Img0021.jpg

This is bouncing the flash 90 degree to the ceiling
Img003.jpg

This is bouncing the flash 90 degree to the ceiling with the built in tiny bounce card
Img004.jpg

This is with the diffuser that came with the flash, 45 degree forward
Img005.jpg

Moving on is using Lightsphere II, the cloudy version

This is without the dome and pointing to the ceiling
Img006.jpg

This is with the dome and pointing at the object
Img007.jpg

It seems by using the dome, light loss is alot, maybe by 2 stop.

Now moving on to the Flip-it pro standard

This is using flip-it with the diffuser in front and the bounce card 45 degree back
Img008.jpg

This is using flip-it with the diffuser in front and the bounce card 90 degree
Img009.jpg

This is using flip-it with the diffuser in front and the bounce card 45 degree front
Img010.jpg

This is using flip-it without the diffuser in front and the bounce card 45 degree back
Img011.jpg

This is using flip-it without the diffuser in front and the bounce card 90 degree
Img012.jpg

This is using flip-it without the diffuser in front and the bounce card 90 front
Img013.jpg

Now i test using a simple large bounce card to see if i can get the effect of the flip-it

This is using the bounce card 45 degree back (handheld)
Img015.jpg

This is using the bounce card 90 degree (handheld)
Img014.jpg

This is using the bounce card 45 degree front (handheld)
Img0162.jpg

Hey....what do you know....it produce the same result as the flip-it without the diffuser, which is quite obvious as the flip-it is just a bounce card with a hinge.

comparing the LSII with flip-it with diffuser 45 degree back and the simple bounce card held 90 degree

Img006.jpg

Img008.jpg

Img014.jpg

The LSII produce a more warmer color, as most of us already know. The flip-it with the bounce card throw some forward light, showing more shadow. The normal bounce card throws more light forward due to the larger surface and its at 90 degree.

Each produce a different result, so its really up to individual to see which one works for you.

Hope this mini comparision is usefull :)

Oh yeah, any one have abetterbouncecard using the foam paper to test? I suppose the result should be the same using the bounce card except the foam paper have a larger surface and its cheaper.

A good test for users to see which they would prefer for different situations. :thumbsup:

Jester,

is the setting on the FLASH set to manual as well or is it on TTL?

I wish the SB80DX also can work TTL with my D70 leh ;p
Its on manual setting on both the cam and the flash
SB80DX can work on D70 with auto mode,

the results you tested on, it will not be the same on different kind of subjects, eg human,
and also depends on with or with ceiling, size of the room, in a enclosure or more open areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.