Compare your driving experience in Singapore with tat in foreign countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Hi,

This is inspired by the discussion on MRT.

I had experience driving (a car, not golf) in Singapore and US (Washington, California, Texas), and felt that it has been a much more pleasant experience driving in US than in Singapore.

US drivers in general tend to be more patient and considerate to other road users.

For example, I am impressed by how well a 4-way-stop junction can work is the US.

Also, it is much easier to change lanes here even on crowded highways. People respect your signal lights a lot more than Sinaporean drivers.

There are other examples, but I believe it all boils down to patience and consideration.

Would like to invite your to share your views/experience and please do not turn this into a flame thread.

Thanks!

Roy

Compared to other ASEAN countries, driving in Singapore is a breeze.

Okay, i have to be truthful here and say that I have not *driven* in all of the ASEAN countries (except Malaysia and a few times in Singapore), mostly have *been driven* around in taxis or colleagues cars.

In terms of aggressiveness, Jakarta and Phillippines rank right up there with 3-lane changeovers in 5pm rush-hour jams, 80km/hr dashes for the next available space in the traffic light queue, and if your car horn dies on you, you are advised to stay home cos no one will give way to you.

In Bangkok, the traffic situation is also bad, and even tho the same 3-lane changeovers and dashes happen, the Thais are more pleasant about it.

In India, once you have been thru a traffic situation where your tourist bus (loosely built upon an old lorry chassis with no suspension) attempts to overtake a slow tractor on a dual-carriageway (and its called a dual carriageway only cos the dirt/grass/cowdung has been scraped aside to let two vehicles squeeze past), and at the very same time, an ONCOMING bus is doing the same thing on the other side of the road, but miraculously all four vehicles make it in the nick of time, you are equipped to go thru any traffic situation in Singapore.

So, to summarise, I guess driving in Asia in general is really, really far behind the US, Australia or UK.

personally i think it really is a mixed bag.

In the US it is pretty okie. However i have seen (and even heard) driver road rage first hand so i am not sure if that is a norm :S Once in a conference call - could hear that one of the managers was driving on the freeway - and he spat out explitives at another driver out his window - that was one really interesting conference call :) What really impressed me when driving on US freeways was that some had 5 lanes (each way!), i could be on the 3rd lane reving at about 80mph and then a 36-wheeler would just zoom pass me at prob 100 or more! :)

Australia has pretty sweet drivers. Very courteous and they at least GIVE WAY to the pedestrians. Rarely do i hear the horn being sounded. Very polite drivers in general.

On the topic of driving, drink driving has been attributed to many (reckless and utterly senseless) road accidents. And those kids with tweaked hot-rods are just as reckless & noisy.

Local drivers are just ... i dunno, just have the sort of mentality that they are always in the right and that its the other party's fault or the other party's in the wrong etc. everyone's zooming here and there... everyone's impatient and liberately apply the horn. Which just infuriates the other party. Occasionally there are some courteous drivers but those are outside the norm IMHO. There is a general observation. Will road rage be the #1 killa on our roads? (see the recent expat who got jailed for hitting a cabbie) hmm... food for thought.

I have not driven in China (Guangzhou) but had been travelling quite a bit on road there. The traffic condition is much worst than in Singapore. My impression is that everyone is playing "chicken" when on the road. The one who dares wins, when it comes to squeezing youe way through congestions. Pedestrains are also like daredevils when it somes to crossing streets (and yes, highways also) which makes me wonder why they do not value their own lives.

In that aspect, driving in Singapore is really a breeze.

There are pretty crazy drivers in US also, which are rarely seen in Singapore, I believe. Also, drivers here tend to keep a much shoter distance from the car in front when travelling on highways at 70 mph. Probably the main reason for highway accidents here to always involve more than 2 cars.

Driving experience in US can vary a lot depending on the area you are driving in. Fortunately, where I am located now, the drivers are generally very sweet.

In Singapore, I feel more presurized when driving because I have to react instantaneously when the the light turns from red to green. Hesitate for more than a split second and the driver behind will most likely sound the horn.

Originally posted by roygoh
In Singapore, I feel more presurized when driving because I have to react instantaneously when the the light turns from red to green. Hesitate for more than a split second and the driver behind will most likely sound the horn.

From anecdotes from friends, what you have described above sounds almost like New York. ;)

I've drove in a few asian countries. Overall, Malaysia is the worst whilst singapore is really a breeze, can almost drive half-asleep kinda. In KL and JB, these are the worst place. Drivers are ultra aggressive. In Japan, traffic is relatively heavy, but you've a bunch of the most polite drivers over there. Taiwan is the most fun, coz there basically not much rules outside of taipei and taichung. Can even drive against traffic if there's no cops around...heh. :p

Originally posted by Shadus
I've drove in a few asian countries. Overall, Malaysia is the worst whilst singapore is really a breeze, can almost drive half-asleep kinda. In KL and JB, these are the worst place. Drivers are ultra aggressive. In Japan, traffic is relatively heavy, but you've a bunch of the most polite drivers over there. Taiwan is the most fun, coz there basically not much rules outside of taipei and taichung. Can even drive against traffic if there's no cops around...heh. :p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
I'm frm JB. Have experience driving in nearly all states in Malaysia. Sad to say but i do agree with Shadus that KL and JB are the worst place to drive... with those super "bengs" in modified cars with big exhaust. Generally, what i hate most in JB is tht most drivers here don't even bother to signal for changing lanes & driving at 80km/h, u get tailed tightly and flashed with their high beams.

As for KL, they are generally more "civilized" (read as less super bengs) and have more manners in driving, they usually give way when signal or especially u r on a foreign no. plate.

Driving in Penang's usually jams and super slow. The traffic's bery congested especially in town areas.

For Sg, i've only driven a few times there and i'm not very familiar with your traffic system especially turning at junctions.

Jus' sharing my experience to u ppl.

i found out that driving in Singapore is a breeze.....compared to Latin America (Venezuela and Columbia)...there you'll find lotta junctions what i call it a
suka-suka junction....who dares win.....as for the highway is really scary..average at about 90mph ....but the ppl there are very nice...miss those places....

My colleague once made the comment that traffic lights in Dongguan and Guangzhou cities are just "suggestions" to drivers.

i hate the fact that i have to be wary before attempting a zebra crossing. in US and Australia, drivers treat pedestrians so well.

Hehehe......

I think, here in SIngapore.....its because all traffic lights are in operation......and well maintained......

I have seen and experienced a "suka-suka junction" ( I like Fundee's term....hahahaha!!!) in Singapore.......when one or more trafic lights break down......

It will turn into a Columbia, Other Asean country, Mexico....etc....in just a flash......if a traffic light breaks ...... and no policeman in the center........

Personally many LARGE car owners.....like to tailgate.......Once i ever got tailgated by this mercedes...and then he flashed the headlights.......and then i responded by taking out the rear view mirror, wind down the window and wave the rear view mirror at the driver........ i can see his "F***" word face after that.
He then slowed down !!!!

Regards,
me

Originally posted by sulhan
Hehehe......

I think, here in SIngapore.....its because all traffic lights are in operation......and well maintained......

I have seen and experienced a "suka-suka junction" ( I like Fundee's term....hahahaha!!!) in Singapore.......when one or more trafic lights break down......

It will turn into a Columbia, Other Asean country, Mexico....etc....in just a flash......if a traffic light breaks ...... and no policeman in the center........

That's why I am so impressed by the all-way-stop junctions in US. It actually works!

Personally many LARGE car owners.....like to tailgate.......Once i ever got tailgated by this mercedes...and then he flashed the headlights.......and then i responded by taking out the rear view mirror, wind down the window and wave the rear view mirror at the driver........ i can see his "F***" word face after that.
He then slowed down !!!!

Regards,
me

I don't really understand your gesture of waving your rear view mirror. What were you trying to say to the other driver?

Hmm.....

The waving of the rear view mirror is to tell them that even they flash their head lights (the usual way they do it....mak you feel distracted and to ask you to give way)......if remove the rear view mirror, i will not be disracted by the flashing of their head lights.....

So Don't Bother.....

regards,
me

If someone tailgates you, is it possible to keep your right foot on the accelerator while you lightly tap the brake paddle with your left foot to activate the brake lights so that the offensive driver behind will think that you are actually stepping on the brakes to slow down?

By the way, what car do you drive? I have never driven a car with detachable rear view mirrors.:D

Hmm.....

The waving of the rear view mirror is to tell them that even they flash their head lights (the usual way they do it....mak you feel distracted and to ask you to give way)......if remove the rear view mirror, i will not be disracted by the flashing of their head lights.....

So Don't Bother.....

regards,
me

wah..... u driving wat car??? How come the rear view mirror's detachable?

Generally speaking, the further north you go in England, the more courteous the drivers are. (I'm speaking based on my driving experiences in Sheffield and London) ;)

Originally posted by Darren
So, to summarise, I guess driving in Asia in general is really, really far behind the US, Australia or UK.
oh i heartily agree with you on that...

Asian countries got some of the scariest driving conditions (and that's even as a passenger, not behind the wheels). SG drivers also got very bad road manners. where else would you find drivers who deliberately speed up so another car can't filter lanes.

i've driven in Aussieland too and while they're quite brash with their vehicles (cars are dirt cheap after all), they're still very polite when it comes to pedestrians.

my personal experience in US... once when i was trying to cross a road in Hawaii (relatively busy 2-lane passage), a driver saw me up ahead and actually stopped to let me cross. i was so surprised cos you'll never see that in SG.

another time, a friend of mine was driving me around (again in Aloha land) and in the distant we heard the sound of sirens. suddenly, every1 at the traffic junction just stopped (yes, actually ALL STOPPED) and looked around them for the ambulance or fire engine to pass... when the sirens faded off into the distance and we all realized that the emergency vehicle wasn't heading this way, every1 cautiously continued on their way.

now tell me where in Asia would you be able to see that?

heh, in singapore, u let the siron vehicle past, then tag behind closely for free flow traffic.... :p

I have to agree driving in singapore as compared to our region is a breeze.

Having passed my license in France, where driving ethics very much differ in Singapore ( my observation ). In France, you Do Not horn unless you are near the brink of an accident, not allowed to Horn near schools, hospitals even near accident( you should be very slow near these areas). You be patient at round-abouts ( i think they have more round-abouts than traffic light junctions ), Keep to the slower lanes if you are not overtaking ( They really keep to their lanes when they don't overtake, making driving on Highways a breeze).

When i came back here few years back, I tend to be slow to plunk the horn in situations when i think i should. Good or not.. im not sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.