Compare Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D to AF 50mm f/1.8D.

i-poh

May 29, 2010
Compare Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D to AF 50mm f/1.8D.....
i notice that photos using the AF Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D is much clearer than the AF 50mm f/1.8D. any reason why?

Define "clearer".

And you're comparing 2 VERY different lenses. At the very least, did you use the same aperture, etc?

pardon me.... yes same aperture...

"clearer" means images are less rastered, with extremely sharp colors...

will go back and post the 2 different pix for comparison. :)

look forward to your post.

My guess is that you are just getting more DOF from a shorter focal length lens.

Lets have a look at the photos ;)

16mm and 50mm = fisheye :bigeyes::bigeyes: ??

16mm and 50mm = fisheye :bigeyes::bigeyes: ??

16mm is fisheye.. meant for FX format...

Not the combination of both equates fisheye.. if tats what surprised u..

one is 1k over lens, and one is two hundred bucks lens.

beside the characteristic different of these two lenses, the optical quality of 16mm lens is definably better.

one is 1k over lens, and one is two hundred bucks lens.

beside the characteristic different of these two lenses, the optical quality of 16mm lens is definably better.

Actually, I'd have to respectfully disagree with that. All other things being equal a 5:1 price differential does generally equate to better quality, but the circumstances here are slightly different; one is an exotic piece of glass while the 50/1.8 is a very simple optical design. The 50/1.8 for example is also frequently believed to be better optically than the 50/1.4 which is a reverse of the, more expensive = better, guide.

I also wouldn't say the 16mm is one of Nikon's standout performers generally speaking; it's good especially considering its age, but for example all things being equal I'd rather have the 10.5mm than the 16mm, and both of those are priced more or less the same.

have no doubt on the excellence optical design of the 50f1.8 lens, but in term of quality of lenses, most of the time are subject to the price tag, if we don't factor the "brand" issue. :)

sad but true. different variables means cannot compare liao

yes indeed different lighting and location...
i will try to look for another similar subject but different lens...
will post again..

thanks for all pointers :)

Actually no need to split hair and compare too much. they are different beasts that work magic in their own ways and u cannot substitute one over the other anyway.

Loved the AFD 16mm for occassional shooting

Ryan

Compare Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D to AF 50mm f/1.8D.....
i notice that photos using the AF Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D is much clearer than the AF 50mm f/1.8D. any reason why?

yoyo.. here are the photos to compare.

By Lens: AF 50mm f/1.8D.
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6158/pic8632.jpg

Fisheye 16mm f/2.8D
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9074/pic8646.jpg

in your own opinion, which one is clear?

Sorry, but I really cannot see too much difference in the two shots. Neither are really sharp as I'd expect from both lenses and they suffer from some camera shake.

Maybe you should do an objective test in good lighting conditions.

do advice ;0

I advise you to give up on trying to compare 2 such totally different lenses. In both pictures I can see that the image is sharp where it should be sharp, namely on the focal plane. Other than that, differences in aperture and field of view cause too many differences for a valid comparison.

Might as well take a Kia Cerrato and a Ferrari F1 car and say "compare".