Company wants to buy photo for MOE publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintist

Nov 13, 2006
Singapore
www.oddinary.com.sg
They found my pic through flickr and decided to purchase for publication on MOE textbooks, how much should i charge?

i've got a 3072x2056 resolution photo to provide in tiff and jpeg. since its publication on textbooks, credit will be given to me as they have mentioned but what about the pricing?

anyone care to share the pricing or costs?

URGENT, TIA!

You basically can charge whatever you want. One factor to consider is that are they buying the rights over as well. Tsk... MOE is always given a big chunk of the budget....:devil:

You basically can charge whatever you want. One factor to consider is that are they buying the rights over as well. Tsk... MOE is always given a big chunk of the budget....:devil:

the company is not under MOE but working with them. hence, they buy the picture for MOE.

I guess they wasn't buying over the rights as they are still crediting the photo to me. They are looking for a high res of it.

charge whatever is rather ambiguous ah bro, any idea the rough guide? gladly appreciated

the company is not under MOE but working with them. hence, they buy the picture for MOE.

I guess they wasn't buying over the rights as they are still crediting the photo to me. They are looking for a high res of it.

charge whatever is rather ambiguous ah bro, any idea the rough guide? gladly appreciated

whahaa... wat camera or lens you hav in mind?? :devil:

gp check out nikon's range of lenses,see what you want and check the price

whoa congrats man.. though i'm helpless in this kind of things

Firstly, what kind of photo do they want from you? (do you need any kind of release or not?)

They say they credit you, did they ask how much will you be selling it for? It's different.

i would be wary of the credit you part. if they insists, tell them no need. $$$ more important than credit. if they like your style of photos, they know where to look for you.

Firstly, what kind of photo do they want from you? (do you need any kind of release or not?)

They say they credit you, did they ask how much will you be selling it for? It's different.

they did ask for a price but i wasn't sure, was quoted by my friend to sell at $500 at least and I came here to check. I replied them what was their offer they didn't reply liao..

i msged them again they said they waiting for the company to reply for the quotation..sounds 'in'credible to me..haha

Actually, crediting to you and buying over the rights are two separate things altogether. Doesn't mean they credit you means they are not buying the rights, and vice versa.

The question you have to negotiate with them is whether what they want to buy? Just a license for use in that publication? Right to use in future? Do you have the right to license other parties? etc

Actually, crediting to you and buying over the rights are two separate things altogether. Doesn't mean they credit you means they are not buying the rights, and vice versa.

The question you have to negotiate with them is whether what they want to buy? Just a license for use in that publication? Right to use in future? Do you have the right to license other parties? etc

yeah, enquired about future publications, also asked how many publications they will be doing. all in all they also never reply to those qns, just say they waiting for reply. which i findit doubtful but doesn't matter, not that keen now given their kind of replies..:angry:

They are of course hoping for free photos :bsmilie:

For textbook usage... I somehow think that they can probably collar some of the school's photographic societies to contribute photos. For free.

sprintist: however i do hope that you bag something out of this. would be rewarding to see it happen no? heh.

They are of course hoping for free photos :bsmilie:

For textbook usage... I somehow think that they can probably collar some of the school's photographic societies to contribute photos. For free.

sprintist: however i do hope that you bag something out of this. would be rewarding to see it happen no? heh.

of course it will be if it happens but highly unlikely. someone pmed me he had the same experience and they shrugged out knowing they need to pay for the photos. waiting for the company's reply i think is just one of their many excuses. but no matter what happens its another experience learnt. if it happens its good, if not, its alright :)

doesn't sound like they will buy your pix eventually....

one possible pricing model could be based on royalty. e.g. for every copy that they print, you can charge 5% (pulling this number from the air) of the selling price or something.... similar to what the music industry does. e.g. they get paid each time some music/song is used in advertisement jingle, etc.

doesn't sound like they will buy your pix eventually....

one possible pricing model could be based on royalty. e.g. for every copy that they print, you can charge 5% (pulling this number from the air) of the selling price or something.... similar to what the music industry does. e.g. they get paid each time some music/song is used in advertisement jingle, etc.

ya, i am not holding too much expectations at all..quite expected given the attitude in their reply lol :thumbsd::nono:

ya, i am not holding too much expectations at all..quite expected given the attitude in their reply lol :thumbsd::nono:

hmmm can show thumbnail of the pic here?
curious.

I wouldn't reject the idea so fast leh. I see that you also sell some of your photos as stock photos. so if u posted on stock agencies aint this like direct sales instead? quote a higher upper limit but negoitiable see how they reply lor.

hmmm can show thumbnail of the pic here?
curious.

I wouldn't reject the idea so fast leh. I see that you also sell some of your photos as stock photos. so if u posted on stock agencies aint this like direct sales instead? quote a higher upper limit but negoitiable see how they reply lor.

no worries, alittle higher upper limit makes one more sale not too many. quite insignificant anyway haha

if you wish, the link :)
http://flickr.com/photos/sprintist86/446211684/

They found my pic through flickr and decided to purchase for publication on MOE textbooks, how much should i charge?

i've got a 3072x2056 resolution photo to provide in tiff and jpeg. since its publication on textbooks, credit will be given to me as they have mentioned but what about the pricing?

anyone care to share the pricing or costs?

URGENT, TIA!

Best way is to determine the no. if circulation and determine how long it will be used. Also considered if you are selling limited or unlimited rights. Example of limited rights will be the iage will only be used for said textbooks and not to be reproduced in another textbooks or publication without prior permission. Unlimited rights means they can do as they please.

A good guide will be about $1000-2500 for limited rights depending on duration and circulation, and above $5000 for unlimited rights. Also, specify that either way, you retain the copyrights.

Status
Not open for further replies.