Company function - taking pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengcc

Jul 31, 2006
Hi Bros,

My company will be having a function at a pub at the end of September 06 and I thought it will be a good opportunity for me to learn and improve on my skills for newbie like myself for indoor shots. Main focus will be

I am currently using a D50 with kit lens + SB600 + Nikkor 70-300G lens.

I would greatly appreciate it if bros can enlighten me which mode I can use to best suit to take shots for an indoor function, ie ISO.... Shutter speed.... Aperture.... (cocktail gathering plus some speeches). As I am volunteering, the organizer would not mine non-pro shots but I will try my level best to take some good shots, particularly for this function. As such, I need all the bros guidiance and help on this matter.

Thanks for advice :angel:

tengcc said:
Hi Bros,

My company will be having a function at a pub at the end of September 06 and I thought it will be a good opportunity for me to learn and improve on my skills for newbie like myself for indoor shots. Main focus will be

I would greatly appreciate it if bros can enlighten me which mode I can use to best suit to take shots for an indoor function, ie ISO.... Shutter speed.... Aperture.... (cocktail gathering plus some speeches). As I am volunteering, the organizer would not mine non-pro shots but I will try my level best to take some good shots, particularly for this function. As such, I need all the bros guidiance and help on this matter.

from my limited experience, try using d50 + kit lens + sb600 (if possible do a bounce flash with bounce card). as for setting, personally i will do manual and slow shutter spd of let say 1/30... aperture of f5.6 for kit lens and ISO 400-1600 depending on lighting. for other creative shot, you might want to try slow/rear sync flash or even long exposure without flash.

*note* - do not hesitate to use high ISO even 800 or 1600... it is always better to get the ambient light than a flashed lighting image

ExplorerZ said:
from my limited experience, try using d50 + kit lens + sb600 (if possible do a bounce flash with bounce card). as for setting, personally i will do manual and slow shutter spd of let say 1/30... aperture of f5.6 for kit lens and ISO 400-1600 depending on lighting. for other creative shot, you might want to try slow/rear sync flash or even long exposure without flash.

*note* - do not hesitate to use high ISO even 800 or 1600... it is always better to get the ambient light than a flashed lighting image

thanks bro for yr advice.

I dun think you'll have much use for your 70-300. :think:

Remember to check you WB. I find sometimes the auto WB is not consistent, especially in a ballroom setting.

Hobbesyeo said:
I dun think you'll have much use for your 70-300. :think:

Remember to check you WB. I find sometimes the auto WB is not consistent, especially in a ballroom setting.

Ok, thanks and noted yr advice. Will keep the 70-300 at home and will check the WB at all times. Cheers.

tengcc said:
Ok, thanks and noted yr advice. Will keep the 70-300 at home and will check the WB at all times. Cheers.
just shoot raw and don have to worry that much about WB. anyway i think you can just leave it to auto, since in places like pub the lighting gotta be very mixed with many diff colors(maybe). setting to any predefined wb wouldn't help that much.

Remember to have spare SD cards and batteries for flashlight.
The lightings can be tricky, advice to shoot in manual mode and check your shots.
Limit to ISO 800, as 1600 for D50 can be very grainy.

For those VIPs, shoot a bit more and choose the best.
Any shots with their face appearing will be considered good. :bsmilie:
Have another colleague to back you up if possible.
Though it is just a voluntary job, but you don't wish to have unforseen circumstances
to happen.

Good Luck bro !

obewan said:
Remember to have spare SD cards and batteries for flashlight.
The lightings can be tricky, advice to shoot in manual mode and check your shots.
Limit to ISO 800, as 1600 for D50 can be very grainy.

For those VIPs, shoot a bit more and choose the best.
Any shots with their face appearing will be considered good. :bsmilie:
Have another colleague to back you up if possible.
Though it is just a voluntary job, but you don't wish to have unforseen circumstances
to happen.

Good Luck bro !

THanks Obewan and to the rest of the bros for yr advice and tips, appreciate yr help.

Yes, I do not want to screw up even though its a voluntary work. As such, yr valuable advice will give me comfort that I am having the right settings for such function. Thanks.:thumbsup:

tengcc said:
Hi Bros,

For ballroom and events, 70-300 is not the right lens to use. You should get a 18-70 or
17-55. With external flash attach, set to either manual or shutter mode at 1/60, ISO 400.

WB might be a bit of a challange in those ball room lighting. Take a few shots and see how the pictures faires.

daveheng said:
For ballroom and events, 70-300 is not the right lens to use. You should get a 18-70 or
17-55. With external flash attach, set to either manual or shutter mode at 1/60, ISO 400.

WB might be a bit of a challange in those ball room lighting. Take a few shots and see how the pictures faires.

Hi Daveheng, thanks and noted yr advice, especially on WB. Cheers:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.