Company Dinner and Dance... HELP!!!!

heskeydal

Sep 28, 2009
Dear All,

I am assigned to do as photographer for my company event... but.. having a nikon d5000 / 35mm F1.8 lens / 18-105mm F3.5-5.6 lens..... i know have to rent a external flash.. please advice which flash is good?? SB700???

I'd say don't buy the flash unless you really want to.
Co./HR want good photos, they can sponsor you a flash.
Else, just bo-chap and use on-camera flash.
Why spend your own money on an expensive SB700 if you have never planned to buy one.

On the other hand, if you have always been interested in flash photography but never got to buying one, just get a good one (eg. SB700) or the lower end model that has a swivel head.

Dear All,

I am assigned to do as photographer for my company event... but.. having a nikon d5000 / 35mm F1.8 lens / 18-105mm F3.5-5.6 lens..... i know have to rent a external flash.. please advice which flash is good?? SB700???

SB900 better but don't shoot too continuous 10 frames per sec or else the flash overheats and shut down 10 mins to cool dowm capacitor and tube.

shoot high ISO at least 1600 or better at 2000.

practice before actual event with rental flash 1st to get to know the flash function better.

good luck.

Nazli:thumbsup:

I'd say don't buy the flash unless you really want to.
Co./HR want good photos, they can sponsor you a flash.
Else, just bo-chap and use on-camera flash.
Why spend your own money on an expensive SB700 if you have never planned to buy one.

On the other hand, if you have always been interested in flash photography but never got to buying one, just get a good one (eg. SB700) or the lower end model that has a swivel head.

YUP i also tink so.. the most i rent only... wont really buy la..

SB900 better but don't shoot too continuous 10 frames per sec or else the flash overheats and shut down 10 mins to cool dowm capacitor and tube.

practice before actual event with rental flash 1st to get to know the flash function better.

good luck.

Nazli:thumbsup:

any other tips to take note of??

Hm... Don't suggest you to pickup an external flash and shoot that event straight away. There is a lot of techniques regarding using a flash and you probably won't get good photos without some experience with it. What I suggest is to crank up your ISO. I'm not sure about d5000 but my camera gives me reasonable noise (can use camera raw to reduce noise later on) even in 3200 ISO. Alternatively, use your in camera flash on a really weak setting (again I'm not sure it will work on your camera) so it will not overcome the ambient light and serve only to slightly brighten up a scene.

If you want to get the flash (and learn how to use it seriously), practice a lot before the actual shoot and preferably in a environment that is similar to that of the dinner and the dance. Oh and get a diffuser if you are using the flash and read up about some basics on flash photography.

I wouldn't want to guess what the light conditions might be .. but in my experience such locations have enough light to use ISO 400 with flash, 800 the most.
+1 to this. Especially the function of Fill Flash needs some read up and testing. Other topics: bounce flash / flash diffusers, light temperature / White Balance, flash gel, maybe even shooting RAW to correct the White Balance later.
Don't forget the very basics: Get the itinerary / schedule for the event. Decide / discuss which are 'must have' pictures (e.g. Management Board, Awards being given out). Think ahead where to position yourself. Get a second person as backup. Get a second body as backup ...
You can search through the wedding threads in 'Photo Biz' to get more input, the basics are similar since both are Actual Day events with no chance for repeating :)

Thanks guys for the great advice!!! thanks,!!! any tips on the mode that is going to be use? using aperture mode or programmed mode is better?

heskeydal said:
Thanks guys for the great advice!!! thanks,!!! any tips on the mode that is going to be use? using aperture mode or programmed mode is better?

If u can ask that, i'd really suggest u manage ur expectations. Flash photography during events hangs alot on balancing ambient + flash exposure, and P and A modes really cannot be relied on for such complex situations.

Most if not all seasoned event photogs (even the really new and playplay usually me) prefer much on manual exposure, cause we want that reliability when it comes to exposure balance. If u are not comfortable with using manual at all, u should faster go read/watch some youtube tutorials for a crash course!

If u can ask that, i'd really suggest u manage ur expectations. Flash photography during events hangs alot on balancing ambient + flash exposure, and P and A modes really cannot be relied on for such complex situations.

Most if not all seasoned event photogs (even the really new and playplay usually me) prefer much on manual exposure, cause we want that reliability when it comes to exposure balance. If u are not comfortable with using manual at all, u should faster go read/watch some youtube tutorials for a crash course!

herm... coz i have not handle extenal flash before... the most is using built-in flash with diffuser, and using aperture mode and flash using rear-flash(there is some mode on the flashing system).

First off... Is your company paying you for this? Or are you just "arrowed" because you have a DSLR? Honestly, if they are not paying you for it, DO NOT do it. Just enjoy your company D&D. You are obviously a first-timer, and it will show in the pictures, which will annoy the people looking for "good" pictures...

If it's me I won't spend on an event I'm not even getting paid for. Co. good for this, just because got DSLR they think they can make use of a free service.

Best tip i can g ive is don get the flash. shoot horribly and the next time they won't ask you anymore.

waste your shutter count & your enjoyment ... to help them save budget .. they should just hire vendor to do ... company's D&D but u need to work, sound wrong leh

Erm.. if you need to ask this question I strongly suggest to take your hands off here. Knowing your gear inside out is a MUST for shooting such events. If you need to think about modes and settings you will not be focused on the event and you'll miss a lot of things. Ask politely that a professional guy is hired .. although I know that's no guarantee for good pictures, finally.

waste your shutter count & your enjoyment ... to help them save budget .. they should just hire vendor to do ... company's D&D but u need to work, sound wrong leh

If it's me I won't spend on an event I'm not even getting paid for. Co. good for this, just because got DSLR they think they can make use of a free service.

Best tip i can g ive is don get the flash. shoot horribly and the next time they won't ask you anymore.

GOOD idea sia~~~~ NO SUCH TING AS work for free rite? lolz...

GOOD idea sia~~~~ NO SUCH TING AS work for free rite? lolz...

yeah, if your boss expects you to be the 'donkey' running around and WORKING whilst your colleagues are boozing up and generally having a good time, hmmm :think:
I would bring camera but 'forget' the battery and/or memory card :)

ZerocoolAstra said:
yeah, if your boss expects you to be the 'donkey' running around and WORKING whilst your colleagues are boozing up and generally having a good time, hmmm :think:

Haha! After that, you better pray that you boss don't forget to give you your pay!!

Sometimes Kenna arrow, no choice one leh. But screw it up one time, and everyone will remember not to ask you the next time!

naheuy said:

Good advise. Search Google or YouTube for manual exposure, or use the search function in this forum..

ZerocoolAstra said:

Would he still have a job after that..

Blur Shadow said:
Haha! After that, you better pray that you boss don't forget to give you your pay!!

Sometimes Kenna arrow, no choice one leh. But screw it up one time, and everyone will remember not to ask you the next time!

If u purposely screw up, u will forever be seen as a "lang de xu ming" event photog.. Haha

Last edited:
I think you can become a flash expert over a few days/weeks, unless you shoot every other day in a hotel room till your DnD
But if you still want to deliver decent images, i would suggest you some magic numbers. Use first then figure out why.

Get Cam, Get flash. Put bounce card/Omnibounce tupperware on flash. point it upwards.
Set cam to M mode. Set Aperture between f2 to whatever lowest f number it can. Set ISO to 800. Set Shutter speed to 1/50. WB to auto.
Just shoot.
if too dark, up ISO. If don't want to up ISO, you're at your gear's limit.
if too bright, down ISO / Up shutter speed.

For group posed shots, Up Aperture to f4.

Or spend $400. Hire someone.