Company D&D

JT-Fotographia

Nov 23, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I think this sort of question has been asked time and time again but somehow i can't seem to find it the answers here... I went through the event sticky but still doesn seem to answer my question.

For company D&Ds, is it the same as wedding dinners where we have to take individual photos of tables?? also what are the things i should look out for other then VIPs, speeches, performances and the such?

Lastly, I'm using a D90 but unsure which lens i should use. Should i use my 18-105 or the old 80-200 F4.5-5.6? Some advise would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hi,

D90 with 18-105 should be enough. You'll need the wide angle to take group photos as space might be a constraint. However, do note that you will also need a flash as the lighting condition might be bad. If you are looking in to D&D and event, you might want to upgrade your lens to a faster lens (e.g. f/2.8).

As for what to expect, just go the the venue early and look around. Talk to the person in charge and know what is coming up next.

Cheers.

best if you can have the itinerary for the event. and from there plan yourself and visualise wat will happen and self prepare of it.. table shoots not really unless some happening groups ask u to take for them :bsmilie: the rest is up to your freedom

but most importantly you must know who is the VIP and the important person of the night which you cant miss it.. and lastly a fast lens like f2.8 would be great enough :D

Between the 2 you listed.
I choose the 18-105mm with an external flash.

Go to the venue earlier, ask them to lower the lights if they can, test your shots, and adjust from there.

That's all the advice I can offer.

Cheers.

actually use both..... get a 2nd body

Covered a similar event a few times before and this is the best advice. :thumbsup: Otherwise, i think the 18-105 with an external flash will be sufficient. As an event photographer, you will definitely be running around, so the 80-200 would not be a preferred choice. If you can't get a good reach when you zoom out with the 18-105, move in closer until you get a better view. All the best in covering the event. Go down early and test the lighting there. Use P or Av mode if possible and of course, do it RAW as RAW is WAR! :bsmilie:

For table shoots, sometime it is difficult to keep track which tables you have to taken the shots (me an old man) and some guests might be away from the table and you might need to wait or come back later.

Other than that, try to be at the reception area when the event starts. Guests (include myself) loves to have my photo taken during this time. Otherwise I'll be busy eating my dinner. :)

Good luck.

an 18-105 lens used in these kind of events will be a joke, you will get me when u see the output later. Believe me, rent a Darn good and cheap 50mm f1.8 (Good enough, no need 1.4) . thats all u need for a telephoto now.

For the 18-105, u can use that with EXTERNAL flash, restrain yourself from about 18mm -35mm, as the aperture will be too slow, flashing direct at telephoto range will not make the photos look good in thesse lighting.

I'm sure we all believe you as i'm sure you speak from experience, but i guess t/s is limited to his current gears only. :)

an 18-105 lens used in these kind of events will be a joke, you will get me when u see the output later. Believe me, rent a Darn good and cheap 50mm f1.8 (Good enough, no need 1.4) . thats all u need for a telephoto now.

For the 18-105, u can use that with EXTERNAL flash, restrain yourself from about 18mm -35mm, as the aperture will be too slow, flashing direct at telephoto range will not make the photos look good in thesse lighting.

A 50mm to cover this event? And the 18-105 is a joke?

You have to think of the "party"your photo should feel this.
Your white balance is important.
For group photo uses flashes is ok
But for the event itself the photo have to reflect the D & D atmosphere while to strong flash is not advisable.
Try to rent good lenses for this event. Wide; Mid and Zoom lenses.

If they pay you very minimal amount; just use your above gear then fair enough for you; just dun think so much. As long as your image is sharp and clear.

:thumbsup:
I'm sure we all believe you as i'm sure you speak from experience, but i guess t/s is limited to his current gears only. :)

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good advise. Well actually i didn't list down all my gears coz tht would give too much choices and more combinations which will equal more headache for me to decide which lens to use....

To set the record straight, I have 50mm F1.8, 35mm F1.8, 35-80mm F4.5 - 5.6, 80 -200mm F4.5 - 5.6, 18-105mm and 75-300mm (super old lens) and yes i own my own external flashes... one sunpak one (which was my first one) and Nissin DI 866 with external battery pack just in case the batteries run low. So honestly i'm comfortable with my set up. I know i dun have fast enough lens but well i'll just work within my means.

I'll settle for the 18-105mm with my nissin flash and keep my fingers crossed that my pics dun suck as bad as how knpan makes it out to be. ;)

Good, use the 50mm and 35mm, and the 18 -105mm lens then, in your current gear list, dont nee to bother bring the other lenses as they are not fast enough in this situation. Try not to use flash with your 50 and 35mm shots as they wont really look natural. Use available lighting. Combine external flash with 18-105mm.

ok thanks! :thumbsup:

usually for company D&D, the key shots are speech by VIP, CEO or GOH, than follow by award presentation, and performance plus games, than the rest of the shots can get very good, don't have the person in chart usually don't bother also.

so for this kind of shots what lens you need, not very difficult to figure it out.

knpan - I usually stop down to f/4 for group shots so I don't think the 18-105mm is going to be an issue at 18mm. I believe it's f/3.5 at that end right?

And why aperture too slow at 18mm? At telephoto end won't it be even slower :dunno:

now the IN thing is cover company D&D in photojournalistic way :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

huh? then his group shots leh? he was specifically asking about table shots.. 50mm on a DX body.. :bigeyes:

My only concern about table shots is that not everyone will be present at the table and when would be a good time to take the shots?? I usually cover ROMs and other events but this is the first time doing D&D so not very sure how to go about doing it. Unlike weddings when the bridal couple goes to each and every table, for D&D you wun see the CEO going from table to table taking photos.:confused:

After all the comments here, I think I'm fairly confident about how I'm gonna shoot this event. Too bad I can't post the pics up otherwise can get all your comments on the pics after the shoot.:sweat: