Compacts/Ultra-compacts with manual functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnage

Feb 26, 2005
Ang Mo Kio
Hey guys, I currently own a Panasonic FZ20 with lots of accessories to add on: filters, convertors, flash, battery pack, to name the basics. But I don't want to bring around all these wherever I go. Hence I'm looking for a compact or an ultracompact WITH manual functions. Now, I know there aren't many in the market yet but I've shortlisted a few:

1. Casio P700 (FULL of features + manual)
2. Panasonic LX1 (noise issue - :confused: )
3. Fuji F10/11 (high ISO, low noise)

Here're others that are in the lower regions of my list:

4. Canon A95
5. Panasonic LZ2 (6x optical yet compact enough, but no manual)
6. Sony W7 (don't like proprietry MS)

I'm sure there are others but I read reviews until my eyes gonna :bigeyes: liao. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My budget is about $600 - $700, excluding additional batteries & memory. I'm quite biased towards the Casio P700. It's full of features & it's an ultracompact, not just a compact. Of course, I wouldn't mind a compact if features are good. :D Purpose is general... I'd say a 50-50 of indoor as well as outdoor.

*sigh* :sweat: I know I'm being difficult... Please help? :lovegrin:

Hey guys, I currently own a Panasonic FZ20 with lots of accessories to add on: filters, convertors, flash, battery pack, to name the basics. But I don't want to bring around all these wherever I go. Hence I'm looking for a compact or an ultracompact WITH manual functions. Now, I know there aren't many in the market yet but I've shortlisted a few:

1. Casio P700 (FULL of features + manual)
2. Panasonic LX1 (noise issue - :confused: )
3. Fuji F10/11 (high ISO, low noise) Good choice

Here're others that are in the lower regions of my list:

4. Canon A95
5. Panasonic LZ2 (6x optical yet compact enough, but no manual) Suffers from Vignetting at wide angle
6. Sony W7 (don't like proprietry MS)

I'm sure there are others but I read reviews until my eyes gonna :bigeyes: liao. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My budget is about $600 - $700, excluding additional batteries & memory. I'm quite biased towards the Casio P700. It's full of features & it's an ultracompact, not just a compact. Of course, I wouldn't mind a compact if features are good. :D Purpose is general... I'd say a 50-50 of indoor as well as outdoor.

*sigh* :sweat: I know I'm being difficult... Please help? :lovegrin:

how abt Sony H1..it has nice 12x zoom. all rounder camera, 2 batteries operated. ard $7**. =) H1 has good reviews at dpreview.com. check out their forum-sony talk. H1 has lotsa experts giving advices there. i think ms is not a big issue.

canon S2 is not bad, if u prefer SD & 4 batteries operated.

Errr... Sony H1 & Canon S2 aren't very compact... FZ20 already has 12x zoom with Image Stabilizer as well. What I want is a compact or even better, ultracompact, WITH manual functions to play around. Like I said, Casio P700 is a good example. So is Fuji F11... haha!

Anymore opinions?

If you ask me, forget about manual functions and go for fully auto super compact cameras. First of all, the manual functions are impossible to use (I've got an old Canon S30) and they add to the weight+cost (since most cheapo small camera don't do manual).

When you want to save weight, most of the time you just want to "point and shoot" and those fully auto ones will do just fine.

through personal experience, i agree with Brian

Most compact do come with manual controls
but the interface is so suckish that you give up
and use in full p&s mode.

think you only need to be able to control the
exposure compensation and that is enough.

my personal compact is a Ricoh Caplio wide

F11 not out yet right? Anyone have any idea when it'll be out? Anyone knows when Sitex will be on? And where?

Hai... Just now went CP to play around with Casio P700... haha! Very unique display. The functions are easy to use also... Aperture & shutter easy to change also. GOT BULB MODE LEH! Haha! Can take star trails! But dunno how it'll be like... probably ultra-noisy, the picture? Haha! But I like the fact it has Bulb... on a compact know? Haha!

Of course, I'll want to see how the F11 is also...

hmmm
just have to comment that bulb mode is only useful if you are carrying a tripod
and if carrying a tripod, might as well carry a full size cam liow : )

Think more important features for a P&S is a fast lens

But I don't have a full size cam that has bulb mode. Haha! FZ20 only 8s! Disgusting! Then again, given FZ20's noise issue, if I were to take start trails, the noise would be the stars liao. Haha!

Besides, if I use a small cam, I only require a small tripod, which anyhow is easier & lighter than my Manfrotto 190ProB.

OT a bit... if you all dun mind :p

Are there any affordable compact film cameras that have some manual functions? Hmm, I think there are but I have no idea about them.

fuzzy said:
OT a bit... if you all dun mind :p

Are there any affordable compact film cameras that have some manual functions? Hmm, I think there are but I have no idea about them.

Yes, Olympus XA.

Minox 35 series

Fuzzy, why'd u want a film one leh? Just curious, not saying u can't k? Coz a digital compact is usually smaller than a film, no? Digital has ultracompacts too. The smallest film ones are the Canon IXUS series too right? Well, Minox yes... but where in Singapore can u develop Minox film?

Canon S series? S60, S70, S80 are all quite compact. Manual functions and it has a good 28mm.
Noise will always be there for compacts because of the sensor size.

cosycatus said:
Canon S series? S60, S70, S80 are all quite compact. Manual functions and it has a good 28mm.
Noise will always be there for compacts because of the sensor size.

I would agree with cosycatus. Go for the Canon S series. S60 (5mp), S70 (7mp) or even the S80(8mp overkill).

Cheers.....

karnage said:
Fuzzy, why'd u want a film one leh? Just curious, not saying u can't k? Coz a digital compact is usually smaller than a film, no? Digital has ultracompacts too. The smallest film ones are the Canon IXUS series too right? Well, Minox yes... but where in Singapore can u develop Minox film?

hmm... I'm going to Hong Kong with my friends in december:lovegrin:
but then we have no portable storage and dun wanna bring a laptop.

so i'm wandering into the realm of film and compacts since its the cheapest solution i can think of at this point of time.

I'll probably be taking pics of night scenes and stuff so it would be a great plus point for me to have some control over the aperature and shutter... yup yup.

fuzzy said:
hmm... I'm going to Hong Kong with my friends in december:lovegrin:
but then we have no portable storage and dun wanna bring a laptop.

so i'm wandering into the realm of film and compacts since its the cheapest solution i can think of at this point of time.

I'll probably be taking pics of night scenes and stuff so it would be a great plus point for me to have some control over the aperature and shutter... yup yup.

Oh-h-h... ok. But u could buy or borrow 1 or 2 1GB cards & use a lower resolution? Maybe 3MP? Can take near 1000 know?

Canon S series ah? Hmm... will check them out. Thanks! Meanwhile, keep the suggestions & opinions coming! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.