CompactDrive woes.. pls helP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensx

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
hello... hello..

i've started to have this issue with the 'drive.. after d/l pics to it, and wanting to u/l to the PC, after every 10 to 20 files, there'd be an error msg abt file being invalid..

AND the drive would disappear fr the windows explorer directory..

this is getting very frustrating indeed.. with Gbs of data waiting to board the hdd :(

can anyone help me on my challenge here? really appreciate some kind solutions on related scenarios..

THANKS!

I'm thinking if it was a problem with the initial copy from the CF card. How big is the CF card and at what intervals did you copy over to the CompactDrive?

sensx said:
hello... hello..

i've started to have this issue with the 'drive.. after d/l pics to it, and wanting to u/l to the PC, after every 10 to 20 files, there'd be an error msg abt file being invalid..

AND the drive would disappear fr the windows explorer directory..

this is getting very frustrating indeed.. with Gbs of data waiting to board the hdd :(

can anyone help me on my challenge here? really appreciate some kind solutions on related scenarios..

THANKS!

Are you refering to on & off problem to transfer files from compactdrive storage to your computer ? Sound like USB not compatible to me. Maybe you can re-install or update your motherboard USB driver.

are you using batteries or DC power source?

I had the same problem uploading and downloading when i used batteries.
but when i switched to DC power everything was solved.

thanks for all your replies..

yeah.. initially thot it's using batt.. that's why.. switched to dc .. and yet problem still surfaced..

as for USB, i using VIA chipset.. d/l USB drivers fr VIA site.. and STILL, it comes back to haunt me..

oh.. my cards are not big la.. at most 1 gb or 512 mb.. per transfer..

anyone can assist?? :bheart: pls pls

sensx said:
thanks for all your replies..

yeah.. initially thot it's using batt.. that's why.. switched to dc .. and yet problem still surfaced..

as for USB, i using VIA chipset.. d/l USB drivers fr VIA site.. and STILL, it comes back to haunt me..

oh.. my cards are not big la.. at most 1 gb or 512 mb.. per transfer..

anyone can assist?? :bheart: pls pls

try ur CompactDrive with other computer to isolate the problem. If same problem, it is the CompactDrive issue .. else, you got to look into ur current computer

If you can borrow or buy a USB 2.0 portable HD casing (about $20) you can transfer the HD to it and try to access the files. If no problem, you've ruled out problems with the hard disk, the data on the hard disk and the USB. That narrows it down to the Compactdrive.

Let me guess, you're using AMD? :)

that's right.. have always been supportive of alternative tech.. AMD!
(at least for PC chips) hahaha ;p

I used to have this problem. But then realised after waiting like few minutes (after u on the compactdrive) before you start copying, everything is fine. Strange.

Ok, you're apparently not the only one with such problems, me too. My AMD 64 cannot do large files copying also. Once reach a few MB or GB will start to have the same problem as you.

The reader is still usable but not the HDD. I need to off and on it again. Till date I still have yet to find a solution for that.

I have the same problem previously. My solution was to change the whole motherboard and problem solved. It seems that Windows XP has problem with some USB 2.0 chipset. Mine was a ALi chipset previously.

have you considered a internal PCI card/usb 2.0? one of these costs $18.80 only ? at most borrow from a friend or something.

my own on board usb is only 1.1 so I got the 2.0

I tried a PCI card the other time, also USB 2.0, no go.

I didn't upgrade just because it won't work, rather because my board died the other time.

incidentally,this problem (with a usb 2.0 harddisk) is happening on my hp proliant ML350 G3 SERVER... I just bought a usb 2.0 card just to see if it fixes the problem..

When I bought my first USB PCI card quite a while back, I had problems transferring data from my OTG too. I then changed it to another card using NEC chipset and the problem was solved.

The first card used the VIA chipset. Both cards were from the same manufacturer. Subsequently, I learnt from other forums that VIA chipset cards are prone to problems.

I advised all my friends to buy only NEC chipset cards (which costs more) and all of them have no problems.

tried going to www.compactdrive.com for info..
went to the downloads section on pd7x..

hv slightly better transfer perf after using the win98 drv as well as updating the firmware..

you guys can give it a shot too :)

i just realised CompactDrive is not compatible with VIA chipset after i bought a VIA chipset motherboard and now I'm stuck with it.

Is there no way out? I've updated some hyperion BIOS driver (via_hyperionpro_v510a), USB driver (VIA_USB2_V270p1-L) ..

what i haven't done is flash the BIOS. i've got WinXP and the flash software requires DOS. i dun think I have DOS. I have command.com but that's WinXP.

is there a way out?

Wonder if any1 who has a similar problem might be able to assist? Eastgear doesn't want to help anymore, they reply that it's because they don't carry the product any more.

The problem might be slightly different from what was mentioned:

0. I'm using a reasonably new CompactDrive PD7X.
1. it used to work fine on my old Abit motherboard (not VIA chipset)
2. now that i'm using a VIA chipset P4 mobo (VIA PM800 type for Intel 775), it doesn't recognise in this manner:

3. when you connect it up and switch to CARD mode, that's when it tries to install drivers. it installed 2 drivers: 3Digital Double-Driver-a0 USB Device, and 3Digital SD-MMC-MS-SMSolt USB Device. I suppose the 2nd device is meant for the card-reader function, and the 1st is meant for the harddisk.

4. I am able to see the properties of these drivers. In the Double-Driver I am able to make it "Populate" my harddisk. Next to the "Populate" button is the "Properties" button. I'm unable to see its properties inside the button but the correct info is displayed after "Populate" (100gig HDD etc).

5. Sometimes (rarely) when it switches to CARD mode it tries to install a "CompactDriver PD7X..etc.." driver. But even this doesn't work. the effect is exactly the same.

6. So the drivers detect. But the HDD does not show up in the "My Computers" list of disk drives. Looking at System Information, it recognises my drive as Drive #2 (drives #0 and #1 are my HDD) and the card reader function as drive #3. however, it doesn't assign a drive letter, and doesn't allow me to view the contents.

7. This is where I'm stuck. Almost everything seems to work except seeing the drive appear in my list of disk drives, and viewing the content.

8. The exact same procedure works fine on another computer. It recognises, installs, can view contents. That computer doesn't use VIA chipset. so the HDD, contents etc are fine. And CompactDrive is fine too, on that computer.

9. I did what was suggested here - upgrade my USB to NEC chipset (2 port). it made no difference whatsoever.

10. I'm still lost. Anyone knows how these drive recognition, file systems work? Maybe it's some setting in WinXP that prevents me from recognising it? Maybe nothing to do with USB / VIA?

11. Thanks, hope someone can help!

no replies, i guess i'm screwed. but could i ask another question then:

i've given up on compactdrive with VIA chipset. i bought a 2-port NEC chipset card but it still responds the same way. i'm thinking of doing this, would be great if anyone can advise if it's feasible:

i'll buy one of those USB harddisk casings, take out my notebook harddisk from compactdrive, plug it into the casing, and hope it'll be recognised. so the question is:

which particular brand model of budget USB notebook HDD casings should work with VIA chipset?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.