compact zoom lens for slr

orson

Dec 13, 2009
i am currently using a bridge camera with a very long zoom (14-24x). i want to upgrade to a dslr or mirrorless slr, but do not want to carry those humongous looking lens that will offer me the kind of telephoto i need.

what are my options?

None. You cannot want a high focal length lens (400-500mm) in a small package with a large sensor.

If you want a large sensor with a high focal length lens, you need a big, long lens.

If you could, those "super-zooms" would alread be extinct.

Want compact size yet want long zoom then you might have to comprimise on Image quality.

super zoom lens:
18-200
18-270
28-300

Not enough zoom?
use a teleconverter for extra reach <---comprimise on image quality.

200mm focal length mean the distance between the sensor (full-frame) and the lens is at least 200mm. In other words, the lens cannot be shorter than 200mm. Similarly, 400mm focal length means lens have to be 400mm or longer in length. To have a shorter lens with same effect, will need a smaller sensor to give you the cropped multiplier effect.

200mm focal length mean the distance between the sensor (full-frame) and the lens is at least 200mm. In other words, the lens cannot be shorter than 200mm. Similarly, 400mm focal length means lens have to be 400mm or longer in length. To have a shorter lens with same effect, will need a smaller sensor to give you the cropped multiplier effect.

No, it means the focal point is at 200mm or at 400mm, not the distance between lens and sensor.

i read somewhere that the m4/3 has a multiplier of 2 - will that mean that if i buy the panasonic 14-150mm, that would be equivalent to my superzoom - 28-300mm?

just checked the price on another thread, and it is quite expensive. :bigeyes: hoping olympus can improve their pen series without increasing the price, their equivalent telephoto is less expensive.

i read somewhere that the m4/3 has a multiplier of 2 - will that mean that if i buy the panasonic 14-150mm, that would be equivalent to my superzoom - 28-300mm?

just checked the price on another thread, and it is quite expensive. :bigeyes: hoping olympus can improve their pen series without increasing the price, their equivalent telephoto is less expensive.

So get the Olympus lens... m4/3 is a standard mount...?

No, it means the focal point is at 200mm or at 400mm, not the distance between lens and sensor.

Huh! If a lens has a focal length of 200mm, isn't it focusing the image at 200mm. Shouldn't the sensor be 200mm from the lens?

Huh! If a lens has a focal length of 200mm, isn't it focusing the image at 200mm. Shouldn't the sensor be 200mm from the lens?

hey hey i really think you should read up abit first.. you seem to be very lost with some of the technical terms in photography...

try google focal length..

You're half right, half wrong. It's not how many mm from the lens, as the focal point is not at the lens.

As enzeru21 pointed out, try to read up a bit on what focal length really is.

hey hey i really think you should read up abit first.. you seem to be very lost with some of the technical terms in photography...

try google focal length..

I understand perfectly well what focal length is. Thank you,

You're half right, half wrong. It's not how many mm from the lens, as the focal point is not at the lens.

As enzeru21 pointed out, try to read up a bit on what focal length really is.

May be you guys want to read this an tell what you know, and where am I wrong.;)

I understand perfectly well what focal length is. Thank you,

May be you guys want to read this an tell what you know, and where am I wrong.;)

Apparently you need to go back to basic maths and retake algebra. In the example above, you will see, by reading the statements, that the "focal length" is f, while the distance between lens and sensor is h. These are 2 different values. This is like a basic secondary school maths question on algebra.

In other words, you are wrong and misunderstood.

I suggest you read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

You will then realize that focal length is the convergence point, not the distance between lens and sensor.

Apparently you need to go back to basic maths and retake algebra. In the example above, you will see, by reading the statements, that the "focal length" is f, while the distance between lens and sensor is h. These are 2 different values. This is like a basic secondary school maths question on algebra.

In other words, you are wrong and misunderstood.

I suggest you read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

You will then realize that focal length is the convergence point, not the distance between lens and sensor.

Please read my very 1st post again then.;)

PS - I actually pre-empted that u gonna say this..haha...please don't pick bone in egg for an arguemet. My initial response to TS is very general.

Last edited:
Please read my very 1st post again then.;)

I have. And I still state that using "distance between sensor and lens" as a means of focal length is inaccurate, as has been proven by the web links you yourself have posted.

Lens design and construction matters too. Take a look at a 500mm reflex lens, there is no component in there that is 500mm away from the sensor.

I have. And I still state that using "distance between sensor and lens" as a means of focal length is inaccurate, as has been proven by the web links you yourself have posted.

Lens design and construction matters too. Take a look at a 500mm reflex lens, there is no component in there that is 500mm away from the sensor.

Never mind, thanks anyway.

Want compact size yet want long zoom then you might have to comprimise on Image quality.

super zoom lens:
18-200
18-270
28-300

Not enough zoom?
use a teleconverter for extra reach <---comprimise on image quality.

Agree on this.
I think the most 'super zoom' on crop dslr should be 18-270.

I think TS choices are limited. Can try the 18-200mm, 55-250mm type of zoom. Light weight and reasonable quality or if using a Canon, go for the 70-300mm DO - a compact zoom (relative).