Compact with good macro function

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman

Aug 21, 2003
Red White and stars.
www.flickr.com
Guys/ Girls,

Could someone recommend a compact with good macro function? Any brand.
Maybe ratio 1:1 type, I know not possible lah but maybe something close by.

Need to get a compact for office to take close up.

Anyone? Thanks!!

germ_boi said:
coolpix 4500.

i know it's a old model but to me undoubtfully the best macro there is.
I think most of the Nikon Coolpix has good macro functions.

scanman said:
Guys/ Girls,

Could someone recommend a compact with good macro function? Any brand.
Maybe ratio 1:1 type, I know not possible lah but maybe something close by.

Need to get a compact for office to take close up.

Anyone? Thanks!!

I doubt any compact cams can do 1:1 macro.

i heard of how good is cp 4500.but i don't think it still go the market. i need it to be able to purchase locally. not second hand. as i need to get quote. standard procedure. any more recommendations?

Do a feature search on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp and compare each selected model side by side. I think its easier that way. Try selecting minimal parameters cause I realise if too many it wont work.

Many of our choices are varied and its difficult to determine which feature one regard as being more critical.

Anyway, my choice is the cost efficient 6MP Casio Exilim EX-Z110 which cost S$459 CP price; comes with free SD512MB card too. See the specs on dpreview.

Lmodel said:
How about a Prosumer?

Canon S2 is defintely a good marco camera, capable of super marco at 0cm.

Check this out:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Btw, a newer model which is the S3 will be hitting the shelves soon.

Cheers

Yes the S2 and S3 can do macro at 0cm but still cannot get as close as SLR macro lens at 1:1 lifesize.

Snoweagle said:
Yes the S2 and S3 can do macro at 0cm but still cannot get as close as SLR macro lens at 1:1 lifesize.
I think it doesn't really make sense to talk about 1:1 macro for digital compacts. The sensor size is different from model to model and even when you reproduce the image on 4R or the computer screen, the size is going to be different.

1:1 only makes sense if you know the sensor size. In the case of film, you know that the size on the film is the same size as the object.

scanman said:
i heard of how good is cp 4500.but i don't think it still go the market. i need it to be able to purchase locally. not second hand. as i need to get quote. standard procedure. any more recommendations?
Go to a shop with a good range when you're ready to buy and try the different models you have in mind and pick one. As long as at the end of all the tests you BUY one. Otherwise the salesman will find that you're a waste of his time. As long as you buy one, it should be ok.

lsisaxon said:
I think it doesn't really make sense to talk about 1:1 macro for digital compacts. The sensor size is different from model to model and even when you reproduce the image on 4R or the computer screen, the size is going to be different.

1:1 only makes sense if you know the sensor size. In the case of film, you know that the size on the film is the same size as the object.

Yes yes, u got a point there....but S2's macro function is rather impressive. I think it can go to around 1:3?

Snoweagle said:
Yes yes, u got a point there....but S2's macro function is rather impressive. I think it can go to around 1:3?
What's the sensor size for S2?

I doubt reproduction ratio is really relevant here. Like mentioned, if you are going to get a 1:1 on a tiny consumer sensor.. what are you hoping to shoot?

yanyewkay said:
I doubt reproduction ratio is really relevant here. Like mentioned, if you are going to get a 1:1 on a tiny consumer sensor.. what are you hoping to shoot?

Some insect's eyes LOL

Snoweagle said:
According to dpreview, it's 1/2.5" CCD which is even tinier than APS-C size.
Yes.. definitely. Most digital compacts have smaller than APS sensor size. So for a 1:3 macro reproduction, when you blow it up it would be really huge. A 0.4" x 3 (3cm) object would occupy the whole frame! Not too bad. Nearly like a 1:1 on a DX format (APS size) sensor. :)

lsisaxon said:
Yes.. definitely. Most digital compacts have smaller than APS sensor size. So for a 1:3 macro reproduction, when you blow it up it would be really huge. A 0.4" x 3 (3cm) object would occupy the whole frame! Not too bad. Nearly like a 1:1 on a DX format (APS size) sensor. :)

True, but that needs blowing it up. On a usual 1:1 macro lens on an SLR system, what you get is a life-sized image hehe...

Snoweagle said:
True, but that needs blowing it up. On a usual 1:1 macro lens on an SLR system, what you get is a life-sized image hehe...
Yeah.. That's why I say it doesn't really make sense to give the reproduction ratio for a digital compact. There is no image other than a digital representation and viewing it is as good as blowing it up.

Snoweagle said:
Some insect's eyes LOL
Immobilize the insect and put it under a microscope.. :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.