Compact recommendation.

brandonkbk

Nov 4, 2009
Hi all,

My colleague is interested to get a compact for her upcoming holiday trip, she asking me for some advice on which compact she can get, however I not very familiar with compact cameras and hopefully CS members can help her to make a better decision.

Her requirements:
Low light capability
Anti Shake technology
Wide screen
Easy to use (she is a newbie)
Good image quality

Cost: Preferably less than 500.

She prefer to get a compact so that she can keep easily in her handbag etc. So no interchangable lens system.

Appreciate all advice and help rendered.

All cameras that are in the 400-500 SGD range fit the bill for those criteria. However, all compact camera brands (sony, canon, panasonic, fuji, etc etc etc) have VERY different UI/interface and looks, which are a purely personal preference. Therefore I suggest you take her to the larger chain stores like Courts, Harvey Norman, etc, and let her pick out the camera she thinks looks nice, and let her test and play to see if she finds it easy to use. If she has 3-4 choices, you have a nice shortlist.

THEN, you write down the model numbers and google for reviews. DO NOT listen to the salesperson, they will push old stock or the cameras with the highest profit margin for themselves. AFTER doing your own research on the reviews for the shortlisted cameras, THEN buy the one that looks to be the best for the money.

I guess you can't really go wrong with canon & nikon. That's my personal preference.

For compacts, I normally go canon (yea, i own canon's powershot compact that i bought years ago and i still love it)

Canon Powershot S110 is awesome but I think it exceeds your budget by a little ($599).

Olypmus ZX-1 is quite a beauty @ $498 and quite popular with ladies in terms of design(my wifey has one). Performance is reasonable and the lens is bright. Point and shoot capabilities are good.

Actually... don't forget to look to Sony and Panasonic too. I used to own a small Sony WX-7, has lots of fun with it... but gave it to my younger bro when he went Australia to study.

(Don't ask me how much the WX-7 cost because I got it free from an insurance I bought. But my guess is... it is pretty darn cheap around the region of 2xx to 3xx).

I am also using a Panasonic LX-3, which serve me well for a couple of years now. I saw a thread here in CS that said that Harvey Norman is selling the LX-5 for 3xx, I think that is a great buy.

However, like what Rashkae had said before, many thing in the camera is actually up to the user's own preferences, so... yeah... bring her down to the shop, look at the camera that catch her fancy,then let her try those camera up, afterall the IQ should be pretty much the same. Up the budget abit and you can be looking at bigger sensor camera such as the prosumers range of camera - S110, G15, XZ-2 (not sure if this is out), X10 and the such.

My sis has a Sony compact $400ish range.. the touch screen pretty much died half way after a year. Do you face similar issue or do you use one without touch screen? Got to stab the screen to get it to respond. Haha

James Poon said:
My sis has a Sony compact $400ish range.. the touch screen pretty much died half way after a year. Do you face similar issue or do you use one without touch screen? Got to stab the screen to get it to respond. Haha

The old one with the resistive screen or a new capacitive one? I have an older non-touchscreen version, still works like a charm. Also have an rx100. Very nice pics. :)

Can consider Canon S100. TKfoto selling it at $488 if i am not wrong.

No clue. Hahah. Its a funky lime green camera. Quite cool
The old one with the resistive screen or a new capacitive one? I have an older non-touchscreen version, still works like a charm. Also have an rx100. Very nice pics. :)

if she's a lady, go for the Canon IXUS or Sony Cybershot T-series.

oh and... from your thread title, i thought you were asking about MAKE-UP COMPACTS

:bsmilie:

kei1309 said:
if she's a lady, go for the Canon IXUS or Sony Cybershot T-series.

oh and... from your thread title, i thought you were asking about MAKE-UP COMPACTS

Men will think compact camera, women will think make-up compacts...

Can consider canon sx160. Ppl on holidays tend to want to shoot a wide range of focal length. A decent superzoom is gd for travels. Not pocketable but handbag-friendly. Easy UI (in my opinion). Low light not so gd compared to s95/100, but on holiday ppl usually shoot night portraits w flash, or just get a tabletop tripod for night lights shot.

Basically I would not trust that site too much... not that Sony don't make good camera, only that - that site is a Sony homepage, no one would say something bad about their camera in their own homepage.

Compact cameras - Digital camera (PowerShot) - Canon Singapore - Personal

Whether you're a first-time digital camera owner, advanced hobbyist or fulltime professional, the PowerShot is packed with powerful creative features to suit all your needs. From quick snaps to underwater pictures, action shots and more, there is a PowerShot model for every user. Small yet steady plus the smart, versatile features of a professional camera, it's the compact camera that captures it all.

OLYMPUS STYLUS XZ-2 | Compact Digital Cameras | Olympus Imaging Singapore

At the wide-angle end, an even brighter aperture of F1.8 makes the camera useful in shooting under low light.

Anyway, like we always preach... go down to the shop and test those camera up yourself, IQ wise, they are all good, noise performance wise, they are all okay. It is up to the user's own preferences.

Which model?

There are a list of models in that page. Take your pick.

Anyway, read my above reply too. I would not trust too much on the brand's own webpage because no one will say anything bad about their own stuff.

Last edited:
Basically I would not trust that site too much... not that Sony don't make good camera, only that - that site is a Sony homepage, no one would say something bad about their camera in their own homepage.

Compact cameras - Digital camera (PowerShot) - Canon Singapore - Personal

OLYMPUS STYLUS XZ-2 | Compact Digital Cameras | Olympus Imaging Singapore

Anyway, like we always preach... go down to the shop and test those camera up yourself, IQ wise, they are all good, noise performance wise, they are all okay. It is up to the user's own preferences.

There are a list of models in that page. Take your pick.

Anyway, read my above reply too. I would not trust too much on the brand's own webpage because no one will say anything bad about their own stuff.

bro... you're thinking too much again. what nedy77 was saying was "you can check out the different cybershot models here"...

and you interpreted it as "you can see how well they perform and the reviews here in this website"

sony RX100..once u go black, u will never go back. :)