Compact Macro camera suggestion

enewmen

Aug 4, 2010
Pasir Ris, Singapore
Hi all.

I'll be traveling around China for a month and I will want to do some macro. I will also rather not drag around my DSLR with multiple lenses and ring flash.
Please suggest a compact optical zoom camera that can do macro. I don't expect much from the sensor, focal length, or aperture. But I need at least 1:1 - so I can move in close and get those individual photoreceptor units on compound eyes! Maybe the crop sensor can give a nice high-magnification effect? I also need IS & 720p video, but that should be standard on all premum compact cameras by now.

Is this possible under < S$1000 ? Or add a macro lens to the end - something better than a DIY ?

thanks!

EDIT:
After some searching, I found this - PowerShot SX50 HS
Think this will do what I describe?

Last edited:
Hi again.
I found this. A Dusty Boxelder Bug Compound Faceted Eyes Macro taken with a Canon SX50 HS using a Raynox M-150 Macroscopic lens.
Not great, but at least possible.

8075748946_be786fa963_o.jpg

Pentax Q, 5.5x crop factor. add a normal small 100mm f2:8 1:1 macro lens with a k to q mount and you will get a 550mm f15.6 35mm equivalent lens. manual focus using focus peaking. high macro focal length + 1:1 macro + very deep depth of field

Taken by one of our fellow clubsnap user pinholecam with this set up

Pinholecam's review

The Pentax Q - a real World user review - PentaxForums.com

7650422770_f243859eb3_c.jpg

Last edited:
how about adding raynox 250 to the superzoom instead? Problem with adapters is that you have limited focusing range to play with.

What camera are you using currently?

I'm currently using a Canon 550D, 60mm & 180mm Macro lens, (generic) ring flash, etc etc..
I looked at the Pentax Q, but I think I'm missing how to use the k to q mount.
From what I can see, results with the Pentax Q look better than other small options.

I will also look at the Raynox 250.

Matching a compact camera with a macro adapter seems more difficult than I expected. I may need a little help with all this.

I think what I'll need is a Pentax Q (1-2 "Q" small lenses), k-q mount, and an adapter for Canon lenses - I don't mind manual focus using adapters.

Last edited:
basically the k to q mount let you mount normal pentax dslr lens to the pentax q body and pentax prime lens are not big or bulky either

There are 3rd party adapters for eos lenses to q direct mount, available on ebay or some shops selling accessories. One good thing is that you can mount extension tubes to the lenses should you find the minimum focusing range (esp on medium telephoto lenses) not short enough. Prices are dropping for pentax Q now by the way, might be a good time to get one.

Thanks all for the posts!
The Pentax Q with the EOS adapter sounds like the way for me to go - I'll be able to use my existing EOS EF lenses. I can just use a compact "Q" zoom lens for normal travel use. Then for macro, I can whip out the adapter and Tameron (EOS compatible) 180mm macro - that's 990mm with crop!

Last edited:
Actually I do not understand... since TS is already using the Canon, wouldn't it be easier to just get the EOS-M... with adapter, you can also use your existing EF and EF-S lens (with Autofocus). Granted that the price is higher, but with the Canon, you get a familiar user interface and bigger sensor. Of course you wouldn't have the large crop factor anymore, but if you just want the macro, you really do not need 990mm... imagine that lens on a small body like the Pentax Q, it will not be too easy to hold.

I looked at the EOS-M. Looks ok, but lacks a build-in flash. So the Pentax Q looks like a better compact grab & shoot camera. For this kind of camera, I will use macro rarely (mostly compact zoom stuff) - I just want it possible to use a real macro lens.
If there is some ultra-compact flash I can attach to the EOS-M, then I'll consider the EOS-M again.
I agree the EOS-M is slightly better overall and will work better with my existing lenses.

It seems I'm back to "square 1":
SX50 with macro filter.
Pentax Q with lens adapter.
EOS-M with a tiny flash.

At least I have choices!

Last edited:
not sure if that offer still stands, but EOS-M to have a small flash that was part of the package... or at least you can buy as an accessories. Other than that, you can also add on a 270EX which is very small and light in my opinion.

I do not know about you, but I have not use inbuilt flash for ages... I prefer a add on flash for all my needs, even for small compact cameras such as my LX-3... and if I am shooting normal street photos or even in not that good light condition, I will simply crank up my ISO. I have read that noise performance of the sensor in the 650D is slightly better than my 7D, and the EOS-M is using very similar or same sensor, so the result should be okay, I know that because I sometime shoot at ISO 3200 on my 7D and find it still acceptable.

As for built in flash, well... firstly, they are not too powerful, secondly, they shoot only one direction (straight on) although I have read that some of the flash actually can be tilted upward, but I still find the strenght of that flash not strong enough.

Sure, the Pentax Q is a capable camera and if I am using Pentax all along, I would not have any problem to get the Pentax Q immediately. However, if I am using Canon all along, I would go for EOS-M if I wanted a small and compact camera and I don't have another mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Because,

1) EOS-M with adapter are compatible with all the EF/ EF-S lens that I already has.
2) EOS-M had bigger sensor as compared to Pentax Q
3) EOS-M are compatible with all my flashguns, which include the very small 270EX (small but no doubt more powerful than any inbuilt flash)
4) EOS-M shared very similar or same user interface as my DSLR so I am more likely to be more comfortable with the layout.
5) EOS-M is very very small in size - I think it is even thinner than the compact G12 or G15.

There are two things I don't like about the EOS-M though (which you might also want to take note).

1) Not very fast Autofocus (in my opinion)
2) Don't have an option for add on viewfinder.

Last edited: