Compact cameras to intro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u0509866

Apr 1, 2009
Hi, I am thinking of buying a compact camera..around the range of s$400 anyone got gd ones to intro?
What are the qualities which i should look out for ?
is Panasonic FS15 good?

Last edited:
What are the things i should look out for?

What are the things i should look out for?

I'm assuming you are going to buy a new one? In that case start by looking at the reviews of the compact cameras in websites like www.dpreview.com, www.dcresource.com, www.imaging-resource.com etc.

Consider how much zoom you require, whether you require wide angles (24, 25, 28mm), whether you require manual controls over aperture, shutter speed etc, the size, color and other specifications e.g. HD video recording, stereo sound recording.

After considering all these factors and checking the manufacturers websites for the specifications, you can then go to Courts and have a feel of the cameras you have shortlisted. As for purchasing the cameras, shops like CP, TK, AP etc will offer better pricing than Courts/Harvey Normal/Best.

haha thanks...actualli i m juz buying a camera for v normal usage. of cos i wish the get the best value for money camera without compromising on the design as well (i m a noob lol). haha...ermmm i m not those pro users so i was hoping ppl who have already such cameras might be able to recommend me some models. i m an amateur for all those terms. lol!! the shops listed are in sls and funan?

You can try the following:

1. Canon IXUS 80/85/90/95IS
2. Panasonic FS6/FS15
3. Sony T77

haha thanks...actualli i m juz buying a camera for v normal usage. of cos i wish the get the best value for money camera without compromising on the design as well (i m a noob lol). haha...ermmm i m not those pro users so i was hoping ppl who have already such cameras might be able to recommend me some models. i m an amateur for all those terms. lol!! the shops listed are in sls and funan?

Well, then I suggest visiting the manufacturer's web pages to see the design of the cameras. Generrally speaking, the Canon IXUS range is good for noobs, basically u point and shoot and you should get acceptable pics in most cases. I have been using Canon IXUS, S, G & A series over the last 10 years and they are pretty good value for money. If you want even better value for money then buy 2nd hand from the BnS forum.

You can check www.alanphoto.com.sg for the pricing of the digicams.

CP - www.cathayphoto.com.sg
TK - www.tkfoto.com.sg

haha guys ur are of great help thanks!! lol yup noobs like me need more help from your lol

haha guys ur are of great help thanks!! lol yup noobs like me need more help from your lol

Anyway to push yr budget a little more? Look at the FujiFilm F200EXR ... damn good cam at that price range. :)

haha cos i m quite amateur so even if it is too gd, i might not be able to use all functions lol. Basically i m looking more for a point and shoot cam which has gd image qualities!!

haha cos i m quite amateur so even if it is too gd, i might not be able to use all functions lol. Basically i m looking more for a point and shoot cam which has gd image qualities!!

In that case, you can check out Canon IXUS, Fujifilm J/A and Panasonic FX/TZ series cameras.

Anyway to push yr budget a little more? Look at the FujiFilm F200EXR ... damn good cam at that price range. :)

totally agree! too bad they stop their line of dslrs :( but their latest directions for compacts are :thumbsup:

In that case, you can check out Canon IXUS, Fujifilm J/A and Panasonic FX/TZ series cameras.

Erm...i know dat canon cameras are good but they are a little steep..canon ixus cameras are not as gd as their powershot series rite? is it okie?? lol....Panasonic FX series are the older models and now they have launched the FS series. are they juz as gd? or inferior?

Erm...i know dat canon cameras are good but they are a little steep..canon ixus cameras are not as gd as their powershot series rite? is it okie?? lol....Panasonic FX series are the older models and now they have launched the FS series. are they juz as gd? or inferior?

If u can push yr budget to around $70, no need consider others .... just grab the Fuji F200EXR. Go shop test 1st ... take pic & check the DR & noise control. :)

If u can push yr budget to around $70, no need consider others .... just grab the Fuji F200EXR. Go shop test 1st ... take pic & check the DR & noise control. :)

$70????

Canon IXUS series are good in terms of pic quality.

Canon S5IS?

Discontinued long ago. The SX10 is the replacement model. :)

Ah sorry. I had a S5IS I got from Photomarathon 2007, played around with it before I sold it, was quite good besides the noise at >800. Didn't touch other compacts after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.