Compact Camera

hangloose

Jun 24, 2007
I'm looking for below features:
1) fastest auto focus
2) > 10x optical zoom
3) good low light shots

Please recommend.

well if you have about $600 to spend, the Samsung EX1 with f/1.8 lens comes to mind. Just not too sure on what you mean by compact size.

Compact means not DSLR type.

Not lazy, I've been researching from everywhere in the web, but couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks for the links, din know dpreview has group test, will read it before posting my questions again.

Cheers!

Not lazy, I've been researching from everywhere in the web, but couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks for the links, din know dpreview has group test, will read it before posting my questions again.

Cheers!

It is simply because the best comparison is for you to go down to the camera store and try out the cameras. And before you do that you can read reviews and specs in dpreview.com.

Seriously no one reviews compact cameras religiously anymore. Most people concentrate on DSLR, SLT and EVILs. There are just too many compact models flying off the line of manufacturers.

I have Lumix DMC-TZ3, I find the shutter response and low light shot are bad, therefore looking for a replacement.

DSLR is too big for me, I dun like to carry a camera bag with me.

What is SLT and EVILs? New stuff?

What is SLT and EVILs? New stuff?

Google is your friend...?

For a compact with low light performance, the HX5 is good. It's in the reviews I linked to you.

The link you gave dun have HX5.

I took a look at HX5, features seem similar to my TZ3, only difference is can zoom while recording and better low light shots.
HX5 has F3.5 to F5.5, too bad dun have lower F number.

Last edited:

I took a look at HX5, features seem similar to my TZ3, only difference is can zoom while recording and better low light shots.

How low do you want? Samsung EX1 offers F1.8

Second link, page 13. Please read before you post.

The HX5 is better at low-light shots thanks to the handheld twilight feature.

Why do you need a larger aperture? Won't help you in landscape shots.

well if you have about $600 to spend, the Samsung EX1 with f/1.8 lens comes to mind. Just not too sure on what you mean by compact size.

I do feel the EX1 should be good...but TS wants a >10x zoom in it too...:think:

The pictures taken with EX1 are wonderful, just worried about the shutter response a bit slow.
Not sure how it compares with my TZ3.