Compact camera - lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidlww

Sep 12, 2009
Some compact camera comes with extendable zoom lens and some come with fixed lens. What's the difference and pro & cons. Thanks.

I do highly suggest trying to read up a bit in the Newbies guides to photography. The difference from the names alone is very obvious.

Do a google search for "difference between zoom lens and fixed lens"

OK, thanks. Perhaps I've not been too clear. I'm referring to compact cameras with optical zoom lens. Most with optical zoom lens, have lens that extends (zooms) outwards... while some have lens that are internally enclosed. eg Olympus µ TOUGH series (water proof, being one reason for being enclosed). Any difference in picture quality.

OK, thanks. Perhaps I've not been too clear. I'm referring to compact cameras with optical zoom lens. Most with optical zoom lens, have lens that extends (zooms) outwards... while some have lens that are internally enclosed. eg Olympus µ TOUGH series (water proof, being one reason for being enclosed). Any difference in picture quality.

Ah, like the Sony T series Cybershots too, and some of the Nikons. The Olympus may have decent underwater shots, but above the water the picture quality is so-so.

For all the others I do suggest you try reading reviews. All compact cameras have different image quality, and sometimes the normal front-mounted has better image quality, sometimes the internal array has better quality. All depends on which 2 you are comparing, which can be done by reading the reviews with image samples side-by-side.

Keep in mind that the final image quality also depends on
- Sensor size
- Settings (jpg compression, saturation / sharpening [also included in image styles])
- Internal algorithms for noise reduction (which cannot be changed)
So the comparison is not really a "lens vs. lens" but also includes other factors. Needless to say that best comparison is made with images taken at lowest ISO.

Maybe the protruding part will make that part easier knock on something? I owned a Canon compact (with protruding lens when zoom) and Sony (not protrude out), I found that sometimes I will knocked the Canon on something (if I take close up).

Other then that, I cannot compare the IQ. It is like compare apple to orange.

So far, from website reviews and from what I have seen, those model with internal zoom mechanism did not offer acceptable IQ and limited zoom.

Even Sony's T-series have been rather disappointing after T10 but consider better of the lot in good lighting.

All these are attributed to the tiny sensor and highly dense pixel.

Thanks to all. So, there's no clear cut difference or negatives. Have to compare camera to camera. So, if I like the splash or waterproof feature or whatever, I should just go ahead to get the internal zoom type. arrghh !!:confused:

Thanks to all. So, there's no clear cut difference or negatives. Have to compare camera to camera. So, if I like the splash or waterproof feature or whatever, I should just go ahead to get the internal zoom type. arrghh !!:confused:

Or get a proper UW case. Internal zoom might be less sensitive towards dust and dirt but .. (admit I haven't seen a comparison) I suspect an 'external' zoom might yield better optical results. Not sure what's left of it after hitting the tiny sensor, though.

The lens has to physically travel a certain distance from the sensor to get zoom. Internal zoom are generally limited to about 3X.

External zoom lenses are not limited by the thickness of the camera. External zoom lenses often have a lot of zoom, because the lens can move a long distance from the sensor (example TZ7 have a 12X zoom).

If the density is the same (e.g. 10MP) - generally a compact with a bigger sensor (e.g. 1/1.6") will give better quality than one with a smaller sensor (e.g. 1/2.33").

If the density is the same (e.g. 10MP) - generally a compact with a bigger sensor (e.g. 1/1.6") will give better quality than one with a smaller sensor (e.g. 1/2.33").

If you have the same MP (absolute number) on different sensor sizes then ... your density is not equal ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.