Compact Camera for Kids

HVB88

Dec 9, 2005
Hi Guys,

I am looking for an entry level compact camera for my son (about 5yrs+). The purpose is to introduce him into photography.

Was thinking to get a panasonic lumix dmc-s3 because the high iso capability (saw the review, iso 800 still good). Is this a good model? if not, what are the alternatives? My budget is below $200.

Btw, I am using 550D.

Thank you!

Hi Guys,

I am looking for an entry level compact camera for my son (about 5yrs+). The purpose is to introduce him into photography.

Was thinking to get a panasonic lumix dmc-s3 because the high iso capability (saw the review, iso 800 still good). Is this a good model? if not, what are the alternatives? My budget is below $200.

Btw, I am using 550D.

Thank you!

get a lx3 or lx5. price should be quite low...

or if you want, i can let go a nikon p6000 at a good price. pm me if interested.

Heck care about high ISO for him. Get him an Olympus shock and waterproof model, will be better for a kid that young. :)

Yup, I also think the Olympus Shock resistant and waterproof models are more suitable as kids drop cameras easily(personal experience)

Any particular model for Oly shock resistance?
I saw the price is not cheap though...

HVB88 said:
Any particular model for Oly shock resistance?
I saw the price is not cheap though...

Not cheap but a good long-term purchase, great to take on beach trips, pool parties, etc

There is a Nikon camera specially designed for kids, shock proof water proof, will try it out at the end of the month