compact cam with manual controls


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#2
isomers007 said:
I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?
If you don't mind the size, the S2 IS or new S3 IS will be the best choice.
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#5
isomers007 said:
would love too..but i'm looking at the likes of canon A series. the brand is not the utmost importance. :)
Both are same brand. The S series are just a 'beefed up' version of the A series.
 

#6
Snoweagle said:
Both are same brand. The S series are just a 'beefed up' version of the A series.
oops..wat i meant was similar size like the A series :)

ndroo...checked the reviews..and it IS impressive but it has no optical zoom. but i don't use that much zoom either with my previous cams. haha...how much is it currently? thx.
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#7
isomers007 said:
oops..wat i meant was similar size like the A series :)

ndroo...checked the reviews..and it IS impressive but it has no optical zoom. but i don't use that much zoom either with my previous cams. haha...how much is it currently? thx.
Oic...then in that case, just get the A series...current latest is A700 but price not sure yet.
 

Simon_84

New Member
Mar 18, 2004
1,479
0
0
bukit batok
#8
or you want to consider about FZ5 since it is a compact camera smaller and lighter than S2.
12X optical zoom with OIS and some manual controls but don't expect too much from its OIS (seriously not what you see on TV advertisement).
hope your not a night photography person cause you may not like the noise above ISO 200.
 

nuts

Senior Member
Jan 21, 2002
2,051
0
36
47
www.roving-light.com
#9
I think with your budget, alot of choices.
I didn't think the A620 is "compact", but if you're fine with it, I think its one of the top choices!

isomers007 said:
I am looking ard to buy a compact digicam (for everyday use) with manual controls. I'm leaning towards A620 but I'm still open for choices. Preferably a digicam which uses SD/MMC to view the images instantly on my pda.

My budget is $1k. Any recommendations?
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#10
Current latest to consider: Canon A700 and Panasonic's FZ-7. You may want to check them out at the IT show from next thursday to sunday. :)
 

#11
Snoweagle said:
Current latest to consider: Canon A700 and Panasonic's FZ-7. You may want to check them out at the IT show from next thursday to sunday. :)
checked de a700...almost the same as a620...but with no swivel lens. somehow the panasonic cams reviewed produce noisy images after iso200?
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#12
isomers007 said:
checked de a700...almost the same as a620...but with no swivel lens. somehow the panasonic cams reviewed produce noisy images after iso200?
U mean swivel LCD?

Some cams do produce a fair amount of noise after ISO200 but must check if the cams got a noise reduction (NR) function to cure this problem.
 

#16
nuts said:
I think with your budget, alot of choices.
I didn't think the A620 is "compact", but if you're fine with it, I think its one of the top choices!
you're rite there. i just took a look at it just now and it sure doesn't look compact to be put inside my small bag. any smaller cameras with the same features? would love wideangle too but after researching, not much digicams which offer wideangle options..
 

leeter

Senior Member
May 1, 2004
1,936
0
36
#17
why no one point out olympus? haha was looking at one sp310 or something, got manual controls, and small enough to slot into pocket.
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#18
Just thought to put in a word about noise: in general, whenever you're dealing with compact or prosumer cameras, it's unlikely that you'll be using a high ISO and trying to shoot handheld (which can be easily done with DSLRs with little image destruction by noise), but will shoot from a sturdy tripod or some other stable surface. And when that happens, there's no camera shake to worry about. In such cases a longer exposure might yield some surreal blur effects as well, so it's a plus.

For night photography, it might be good to shoot at the lowest ISO possible, and stop down to around f/8 for more depth of field and overall sharpness. Beyond that the images produced might actually be of a lower quality, because even though DOF is increased, diffraction within the lens will result in a softer picture.

If I am not mistaken, Fuji is going to be selling the F30 soon, which handles noise quite well even at ISO 1600, just like it's predecessors, the F10 and F11. In addition to that I suspect it also has a real manual mode.
 

Jun 18, 2005
394
0
0
#20
If you want full manual controls, then try the Finepix E900. with astonishing detail from 9 megapixels and good high iso capabilities.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom