compact cam with good video function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDivine

Sep 5, 2004
andritei.zenfolio.com
Hi,
my friend is looking for a compact cam but a good video recording capability.
Please recommend some models :D

Thx for the advice ortega.
Actually my friend was thinking of getting a compact cam with decent video function because he hates carrying the (usually) bigger video cam.
He used to have those JVC models, quite compact but he felt abit large for travel haha.
I know some camera models have pretty good video function. So I need some recommendations hehe.

I use a Canon A610 to do video..... take the video at 640x480 15fps AVI. Using Ulead video studio 9.0, I could make MPEG2 video for dvd viewing..... Hope this helps. ;)

I use a Canon A610 to do video..... take the video at 640x480 15fps AVI. Using Ulead video studio 9.0, I could make MPEG2 video for dvd viewing..... Hope this helps. ;)

Hi diver-hloc,
how long can the A610 shoot movie? or is it limited only by memory space?
coz I think it's quite important :D

btw my Canon IXUS 800IS takes nice videos under nice lighting conditions

handphone is :sweat:
hi ortega,
how long can the 800IS takes video? or is it limited by the memory?
think if it satisfies the above , it should be good.
I was thinking of canon TX1 but read that it takes a massive amount of space for video

Hi diver-hloc,
how long can the A610 shoot movie? or is it limited only by memory space?
coz I think it's quite important :D

At 2GB SD Card...... near 30min. But only at 15fps.... cut to half when at 30fps. I found that during my holidays..... mostly take short clips, like 2-5min long at any one time. The whole video is mostly edited from many clips each lasting 2-3min only. Suggest ur friend get the newer Canon PowerShot A640 which could use the 4GB HCSD card..... then u will have twice the video time.

I bring along my Creative Zen Vision 30GB to store Video + Photos from my diving trips. Then I can have a 'fresh' 2GB card for each dive.

Hope this helps.

diver-hloc, just one more question
can u do optical zooming in movie mode?

No.... only digital zoom. Don't think most model can do optical zoom. Not so sure about the A640. Can only confirm my A610 can't. Remember that alot of the cameras in the market use a difference compression method for their video - quicktime, AVI.... etc - Only a few video editing software can handle quicktime..... most could do AVI. And I must add that Canon AVI compression might take up alot of memory..... but the video looks good. Sound wise, only mono for A610 & A640. The S serise like - S2 IS, S3 IS or the new S5 IS will have stero sound.

Going to work soon..... Hope this helps...... :D

No.... only digital zoom. Don't think most model can do optical zoom. Not so sure about the A640. Can only confirm my A610 can't. Remember that alot of the cameras in the market use a difference compression method for their video - quicktime, AVI.... etc - Only a few video editing software can handle quicktime..... most could do AVI. And I must add that Canon AVI compression might take up alot of memory..... but the video looks good. Sound wise, only mono for A610 & A640. The S serise like - S2 IS, S3 IS or the new S5 IS will have stero sound.

Going to work soon..... Hope this helps...... :D
THe Canon S2/S3/S5 IS can zoom in video mode and the sound is stereo.

casio v7 seems like a good choice. takes 848x480 resolution video, 7x optical zoom during movie, and stereo sound recording, records in mpeg4, and supports sdhc.

Status
Not open for further replies.